Idiot's guide to ad hoc?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Pete, Apr 10, 2006.

  1. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Hi

    Is there an idiot's guide to ad hoc (peer to peer) wireless networking
    available?

    2 of my friends want to link their wireless enabled laptops to share files.
    They don't need to share the same Internet connection, just files.

    I've set up a few networks using a wireless router and wireless network
    cards, so I thought that setting up a simple peer to peer wireless network
    between 2 laptops would be easy.

    Wrong!! I couldn't make any progress at all using the network setup wizard,
    and neither PC can see the other. One uses XP Home and the other uses XP
    Pro

    Thanks

    Pete

    Pete, Apr 10, 2006

  2. This might help...

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Apr 10, 2006

  3. Hi

    Peer to peer is a type of Network Topology. Ad-Hoc is a mode is a Wireless
    communication.

    The two computers are probably set to Auto obtain IP. Since there is No
    Router's DHCP to give an IP they can not Network. You need to confogure the
    TCP/IP Stack to static IP.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 10, 2006
  4. Pete

    James Gockel Guest

    To help, I'm going to rephrase what Jack said. :-D
    You have to set the IP addresses of each computer in the AdHoc Network,
    because they wont be on the same subnet, because of no DHCP Server.
    So a thing to try is set one computer to 192.168.1.4 and the other to
    192.168.1.5... in the same subnet mask. Then if the folders are shared on
    each computer already just open IE and browse to file:\\192.168.1.4 or
    file:\\192.168.1.5 respectivly.
    This should connect to each machine and bring up their shared folders.

    Good luck
    Hope my reitteration of what Jack Said helped ;-)
    -James G.

    James Gockel, Apr 10, 2006