Idiot requires help!

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Roy, Apr 5, 2004.

  1. Roy

    Roy Guest

    Hi all,
    As with a lot of people I'm paranoid about getting a virus etc. After
    installing some communications software I noticed rsvp.exe running in my
    processes list. I searched using Google and found information from
    Symantec stating it was a Trojan called "Backdoor.Spotcom".

    I followed their instructions but failed to read & understand all before
    starting my quest. On page 1 it mentioned
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RSVP"

    On page 3 it said Delete the value etc. Yep you guessed it I deleted the
    whole key.

    I then discover by using this address:

    That it is quite normal to have this process running.

    My question is What the hell have I done and can I repair it. Or can I run
    OK without it?.

    Power in the hands of a novice is quite a dangerous thing I know but I am
    trying to understand all this!

    Be gentle, I am a Fire-fighter not a computer wizard so no flames please I
    hate them!

    Regards,
    Roy.

    Roy, Apr 5, 2004

  2. Roy

    Lu Tze Guest

    Roy wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > As with a lot of people I'm paranoid about getting a virus etc. After
    > installing some communications software I noticed rsvp.exe running in my
    > processes list. I searched using Google and found information from
    > Symantec stating it was a Trojan called "Backdoor.Spotcom".
    >
    > I followed their instructions but failed to read & understand all before
    > starting my quest. On page 1 it mentioned
    > "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RSVP"
    >
    > On page 3 it said Delete the value etc. Yep you guessed it I deleted the
    > whole key.
    >
    > I then discover by using this address:
    >
    > http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
    >
    > That it is quite normal to have this process running.
    >
    > My question is What the hell have I done and can I repair it. Or can I run
    > OK without it?.
    >
    > Power in the hands of a novice is quite a dangerous thing I know but I am
    > trying to understand all this!
    >
    > Be gentle, I am a Fire-fighter not a computer wizard so no flames please I
    > hate them!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Roy.

    Use a boot disk if you have one, if not bootdisk.com will have an ME
    version. Boot to A:\ and enter scanreg /restore and pick an earlier
    registry date to replace your damaged registry.

    --
    "Whale Oil Beef Hooked."

    "Lu Tze."

    Lu Tze, Apr 5, 2004

  3. Roy

    Roy Guest

    Thanks for the quick response Lu, I decided to try getting my mate who has
    XP Home edition to export, save & mail me the key that I deleted. I
    imported it to my registry & I'm back in business.

    I will now heed all advice given & backup the Registry. I can't believe how
    stupid I was not to do it in the past. My only excuse was that the
    information I read to back it up was quite confusing. I must admit I was
    afraid of getting flamed similar to "Steve Budgets" post!.
    Many Thanks.
    Roy

    Roy, Apr 5, 2004