IDENTITY THEFT vulnerability - please comment

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by no-name, Aug 25, 2004.

  1. no-name

    no-name Guest

    a relative has just had an experience that has them concerned
    over the *possibility* of identity theft

    documents for renewing car insurance
    sent *from* their car insurance company -

    CORRECTLY addressed by that company -

    was misdelivered by the Royal Mail

    the letter has been opened and then re-sealed

    and scribbled comments on the envelope
    suggest that it was delivered to literally the opposite end of Britain

    the documents involve payment of car insurance by direct debit
    of the type: "sign and return the form"

    so, whoever opened the envelope had access to:

    this person's name
    date of birth
    address
    phone-number

    bank name
    bank address
    bank sort code
    bank account number

    direct debit reference number

    insurance policy id code
    policy renewal date
    policy type
    make and model of car
    car registration number and year
    estimated value of car
    "estimated annual mileage"

    clearly they intend to *inform*
    both the insurance company and the bank of this

    but are there any other steps they should take or **demand**
    the insurer or bank to take

    thanks for any relevant comments

    no-name, Aug 25, 2004

  2. no-name

    ^^artnada^^ Guest

    no-name wrote:
    || a relative has just had an experience that has them concerned
    || over the *possibility* of identity theft
    || documents for renewing car insurance
    || sent *from* their car insurance company -
    || CORRECTLY addressed by that company -
    || was misdelivered by the Royal Mail
    || the letter has been opened and then re-sealed
    || and scribbled comments on the envelope
    || suggest that it was delivered to literally the opposite end of Britain
    || the documents involve payment of car insurance by direct debit
    || of the type: "sign and return the form"
    || so, whoever opened the envelope had access to:
    || this person's name
    || date of birth
    || address
    || phone-number
    || bank name
    || bank address
    || bank sort code
    || bank account number
    || direct debit reference number
    || insurance policy id code
    || policy renewal date
    || policy type
    || make and model of car
    || car registration number and year
    || estimated value of car
    || "estimated annual mileage"
    || clearly they intend to *inform*
    || both the insurance company and the bank of this
    || but are there any other steps they should take or **demand**
    || the insurer or bank to take
    || thanks for any relevant comments

    Ask the insurer to cancel the policy and start a new one as a matter of
    urgency and security.

    --
    _____________________________
    ^^I am not the person I used to be^^

    ^^artnada^^, Aug 25, 2004

  3. no-name

    Morgan Pugh Guest

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:16:47 GMT, "^^artnada^^" <>
    wrote:

    8<snip>8

    >Ask the insurer to cancel the policy and start a new one as a matter of
    >urgency and security.

    also cancel the account and setup a new one. explain to the bank what
    happened and tell them you need it done ASAP.

    Morgan Pugh, Aug 25, 2004
  4. no-name

    Hard D'isk Guest

    likely the butler did it

    but if not then it was someone in the family or in the household

    "no-name" <> wrote in news:cgi9j0$v9u$1
    @news8.svr.pol.co.uk:

    Hard D'isk, Aug 25, 2004