identity and emails

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by kwijlebabulus, Jan 16, 2004.

  1. hello folks

    in another tread i described my problems with that spam, .......

    i got an answer that those spamers need your email adres.
    so i put in a number extra, so if they reply, they reply to a false
    adres.

    now my question:

    i'm using netscape 4.79

    in 'preferences' i select 'identity'
    there i have to put in my name and email adres
    below thes things are some more options, like:
    'reply-to adress' which is clear for what it stands
    'attach my personel card' it's an attachment in every mail you send,
    where you can put your adress in and other stuff

    well => can those spam computers read those two options?

    i mean , if i fill them in correctly (my original adres) can those
    spamers get these data?
    or do they look just to your email adres for the 'sender'?

    can someone help me out?

    tia

    greets kwijl

    kwijlebabulus, Jan 16, 2004

  2. kwijlebabulus

    Night_Seer Guest

    kwijlebabulus wrote:
    > hello folks
    >
    > in another tread i described my problems with that spam, .......
    >
    > i got an answer that those spamers need your email adres.
    > so i put in a number extra, so if they reply, they reply to a false
    > adres.
    >
    > now my question:
    >
    > i'm using netscape 4.79
    >
    > in 'preferences' i select 'identity'
    > there i have to put in my name and email adres
    > below thes things are some more options, like:
    > 'reply-to adress' which is clear for what it stands
    > 'attach my personel card' it's an attachment in every mail you send,
    > where you can put your adress in and other stuff
    >
    > well => can those spam computers read those two options?
    >
    > i mean , if i fill them in correctly (my original adres) can those
    > spamers get these data?
    > or do they look just to your email adres for the 'sender'?
    >
    > can someone help me out?
    >
    > tia
    >
    > greets kwijl

    They might be able to tell form your headers where it came from, I'm not
    sure. Next time you need a fake email address, use mailinator. Go to
    www.mailinator.com, and read up on it, you'll really like it.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Jan 16, 2004

  3. kwijlebabulus wrote:

    > hello folks
    >
    > in another tread i described my problems with that spam, .......
    >
    > i got an answer that those spamers need your email adres.
    > so i put in a number extra, so if they reply, they reply to a false
    > adres.
    >
    > now my question:
    >
    > i'm using netscape 4.79
    >
    > in 'preferences' i select 'identity'
    > there i have to put in my name and email adres
    > below thes things are some more options, like:
    > 'reply-to adress' which is clear for what it stands
    > 'attach my personel card' it's an attachment in every mail you send,
    > where you can put your adress in and other stuff
    >
    > well => can those spam computers read those two options?
    >
    > i mean , if i fill them in correctly (my original adres) can those
    > spamers get these data?
    > or do they look just to your email adres for the 'sender'?
    >
    > can someone help me out?
    >
    > tia
    >
    > greets kwijl

    You've discovered part of the problem. If you fill any of those in
    correctly then a spammer who reads your message can obtain your correct
    email address. If you don't fill them in correctly then the person to
    whom you send the message cannot-unless you've included your address in
    the body of the message and if you do that *correctly* then the spammer
    (who reads the body of messages as well as the headers) will still get it.

    The only way I know of to 'do it yourself' is to either *describe* your
    email address (people can understand descriptions, spammer robots
    generally can't-but they're getting smarter) or to 'munge' it-including
    false info to decoy spammers-and include instructions on unmunging it in
    the body or signature.

    If possible I'd recommend upgrading to Netscape 7/Mozilla. Both allow
    you to create a separate identity for each 'account' including newsgroup
    accounts. (Spammers can only read mail that is either publicly posted or
    sent directly to them. If you have the *correct* email address of a
    spammer I'd love to see you post it.)

    My 'identity' for public (newsgroup) messages is, as you can see above,
    obviously false. Except for my name, of course. (If that's false then I
    see no sense in admitting it. I'll leave it up to you to guess.)

    Calvin Crumrine, Jan 16, 2004
  4. kwijlebabulus

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    kwijlebabulus <> wrote in news:40080E7E.E9C32EA0
    @pandora.be:

    > i mean , if i fill them in correctly (my original adres) can those
    > spamers get these data?
    > or do they look just to your email adres for the 'sender'?

    They usually look at the entire messages, not just the From: header.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 16, 2004
  5. i used netscape 7.x but i can only read newsgroups, i can't post with tose
    browsers

    greets kwijl

    kwijlebabulus, Jan 17, 2004