  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Well, if it isn't dual layer....

    Steve, Jan 13, 2006

  2. "S Roby" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Ther
    > I bought a DVD off trademe & I'm pretty sure its pirated
    > How can I tell
    >
    > It is only approx 4g, single sided, the cover doent look like covers on
    > ligit
    > DVD's & ther are no 'extras' except for a bunch of phots (screen caps from
    > the
    > film) Also the DVD hasa dvd5 on it.

    Quite a few ways depending on the quality. May be
    - DVD cover has really bad grammer/spelling on it
    - Written DVD (not pressed)
    - Packaging looks really cheap/cover is not professionally made (Colour
    Photo Copy)
    - DVD is non-encrypted
    - DVD is non-zoned
    - Other ways..??

    Craig Whitmore, Jan 13, 2006

  3. Steve

    Stu Fleming Guest

    S Roby wrote:
    > Hi Ther
    > I bought a DVD off trademe & I'm pretty sure its pirated
    > How can I tell
    >
    > It is only approx 4g, single sided, the cover doent look like covers on ligit
    > DVD's & ther are no 'extras' except for a bunch of phots (screen caps from the
    > film) Also the DVD hasa dvd5 on it.
    >
    > Is there a program that will tell me it its just a DVDR??
    > (Nero's tool dont tell me anything usefull)

    Turn it over. Look at the data side of the disc. If it is a DVDR, then
    you will be able to see the dye which you don't see on a pressed disc.

    Stu Fleming, Jan 13, 2006
  4. Steve

    XPD Guest

    "S Roby" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Ther
    > I bought a DVD off trademe & I'm pretty sure its pirated
    > How can I tell
    >
    > It is only approx 4g, single sided, the cover doent look like covers on
    > ligit
    > DVD's & ther are no 'extras' except for a bunch of phots (screen caps from
    > the
    > film) Also the DVD hasa dvd5 on it.
    >
    > Is there a program that will tell me it its just a DVDR??
    > (Nero's tool dont tell me anything usefull)

    Get the barcode - download something like this
    http://www.collectorz.com/movie/dvd_catalogue.php and enter the barcode into
    it.... see if it matches up to the movie you have :)
    Ive had a few dodgy ones turn up, and they all came up as Legally blonde
    which they wernt :p

    S Roby, Jan 13, 2006
  6. Steve

    S Roby Guest

    >Quite a few ways depending on the quality. May be
    >- DVD cover has really bad grammer/spelling on it

    >- Packaging looks really cheap/cover is not professionally made (Colour
    >Photo Copy)
    >- DVD is non-encrypted
    >- DVD is non-zoned

    Yes to all the above
    Plus background music is really bad sound (warbling)
    It side to side movent of the pickture in the 1st few minutes
    I just need a way to Identufy burnt CD's, that will be 100%
    proof to get money back if I can Identify it as a burnt CD

    I went to the website of the distributor, MY DVD is nothing like theirs

    S Roby, Jan 13, 2006
  7. Steve

    canon paora Guest

    www.dvdinfopro.com has a tool that might help.

    I would put my money on it being a copy. Hope you didn't pay too much
    for it.

    canon paora, Jan 13, 2006
  8. Steve

    Crains Guest

    S Roby wrote:
    >> Quite a few ways depending on the quality. May be
    >> - DVD cover has really bad grammer/spelling on it

    >> - Packaging looks really cheap/cover is not professionally made
    >> (Colour Photo Copy)
    >> - DVD is non-encrypted
    >> - DVD is non-zoned

    > Yes to all the above
    > Plus background music is really bad sound (warbling)
    > It side to side movent of the pickture in the 1st few minutes
    > I just need a way to Identufy burnt CD's, that will be 100%
    > proof to get money back if I can Identify it as a burnt CD
    >
    > I went to the website of the distributor, MY DVD is nothing like
    > theirs

    Non Encrypted is proof enough, also only pirates really print (DVD9 or DVD5)
    on the cover I have yet to see such a thing on a legal DVD.
    If you have DVD profiler (http://www.intervocative.com/) you can also check
    the barcode on the cover. On pirated DVDs these are almost always fake. If
    you post the barcode number here I can check that for you (just the numbers
    below the barcode on the back)

    Crains, Jan 13, 2006
  9. T'was the Fri, 13 Jan 2006 23:12:36 GMT when I remembered
    le (S Roby) saying something like this:

    >It is only approx 4g, single sided, the cover doent look like covers on ligit
    >DVD's & ther are no 'extras' except for a bunch of phots (screen caps from the
    >film) Also the DVD hasa dvd5 on it.

    Read the cover. Look for grammatical errors. Spot some? Probably a
    fake.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Jan 14, 2006
  10. Steve

    Rob J Guest

    In article <bBVxf.14597$>, le
    says...
    > Hi Ther
    > I bought a DVD off trademe & I'm pretty sure its pirated
    > How can I tell
    >
    > It is only approx 4g, single sided, the cover doent look like covers on ligit
    > DVD's & ther are no 'extras' except for a bunch of phots (screen caps from the
    > film) Also the DVD hasa dvd5 on it.
    >
    > Is there a program that will tell me it its just a DVDR??
    > (Nero's tool dont tell me anything usefull)

    If the reflective side is purplish it is probably a DVD R disc
    Pressed discs are always silver

    Rob J, Jan 14, 2006
  11. In article <6RVxf.14600$>, le
    says...

    > Yes to all the above
    > Plus background music is really bad sound (warbling)
    > It side to side movent of the pickture in the 1st few minutes
    > I just need a way to Identufy burnt CD's, that will be 100%
    > proof to get money back if I can Identify it as a burnt CD

    I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to get money back from a 'commercial pirate'.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jan 14, 2006
  12. Steve

    Crains Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <6RVxf.14600$>,
    > le says...
    >>
    >> Yes to all the above
    >> Plus background music is really bad sound (warbling)
    >> It side to side movent of the pickture in the 1st few minutes
    >> I just need a way to Identufy burnt CD's, that will be 100%
    >> proof to get money back if I can Identify it as a burnt CD
    >>

    > I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to get money back from a
    > 'commercial pirate'.
    >
    > -P.

    I guess he can threaten to let the NZ authorities know about him if he is a
    'commercial pirate'

    Crains, Jan 15, 2006