identifying pirated DVD's: part 2

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by S Roby, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. S Roby

    S Roby Guest

    > I bought a DVD off trademe & I'm pretty sure its pirated
    > How can I tell
    > It is only approx 4Gig, single sided, the cover doent look like covers on
    > ligit DVD's & there are no 'extras' except for a bunch of phots (screen caps
    > from the film) Also the DVD has 'dvd5' on it.

    No copywright or distributor info onthe cover
    It region free
    The silver layer is crap near the eadge of the disk

    I did a bit of snoo[ping around (Google)
    Virgin may be selling pirated disks. It looks like the one I was sold
    Note the spelling & grammar mistakes

    http://www.virginmegastores.co.uk/entertainment/dvd/18758-dvd-feature-film-dvd-house-ii-dvd.html

    Heres the real (USA) version on the distributors site
    Note no spelling or grammar errors & the extras are all there

    http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/index.asp?p=CatalogDetail&SKU=DV11425&PriCatID=3

    Barcode on my disk is
    5028157201533

    If anyone has the software to check it I'd appreciate it

    the

    S Roby, Jan 17, 2006

  2. S Roby

    S Roby Guest

    In article <jT1zf.15616$>, le (S Roby) wrote:
    >> I bought a DVD off trademe & I'm pretty sure its pirated
    >> How can I tell
    >> It is only approx 4Gig, single sided, the cover doent look like covers on
    >> ligit DVD's & there are no 'extras' except for a bunch of phots (screen caps
    >> from the film) Also the DVD has 'dvd5' on it.

    >No copywright or distributor info onthe cover
    >It region free
    >The silver layer is crap near the eadge of the disk
    >
    >I did a bit of snoo[ping around (Google)
    >Virgin may be selling pirated disks. It looks like the one I was sold
    >Note the spelling & grammar mistakes

    more info
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004CZ48/202-1527847-7671051
    This disk is probhably ligit
    It has the 'extras' & Region 2 encoding & Dolby 5.1 soundtrack (all missing on
    my disk)
    Note that its a DVD5.
    So I guess there are ligit DVD5 disks???

    S Roby, Jan 17, 2006

  3. S Roby

    Crains Guest

    S Roby wrote:
    >> I bought a DVD off trademe & I'm pretty sure its pirated
    >> How can I tell
    >> It is only approx 4Gig, single sided, the cover doent look like
    >> covers on ligit DVD's & there are no 'extras' except for a bunch of
    >> phots (screen caps from the film) Also the DVD has 'dvd5' on it.

    > No copywright or distributor info onthe cover
    > It region free
    > The silver layer is crap near the eadge of the disk
    >
    > I did a bit of snoo[ping around (Google)
    > Virgin may be selling pirated disks. It looks like the one I was sold
    > Note the spelling & grammar mistakes
    >
    > http://www.virginmegastores.co.uk/entertainment/dvd/18758-dvd-feature-film-dvd-house-ii-dvd.html
    >
    > Heres the real (USA) version on the distributors site
    > Note no spelling or grammar errors & the extras are all there
    >
    > http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/index.asp?p=CatalogDetail&SKU=DV11425&PriCatID=3
    >
    > Barcode on my disk is
    > 5028157201533
    >
    > If anyone has the software to check it I'd appreciate it
    >
    > the

    This is the info I have corresponding to that barcode

    House 2 - The Second Story
    Region Coding: 2
    Production Year: 1987
    Rating: 18
    Running Time: 88 min.
    DVD Release: 16/08/1999
    Original Title:
    Case Type: Keep Case
    Video Formats: Full Frame 1.33:1
    Disc Formats: Single Sided, Single Layered

    Note the last line, it appears that this DVD is in fact single layered. And
    it is region 2 (UK). Looking at the cover on the virgin site it matches the
    one DVD profiler has. So the results are basically inconclusive at the
    moment. Are you sure the disc you have isn't region protected? how did you
    test this?

    Crains, Jan 17, 2006
  4. S Roby

    PC Guest

    "Crains" <> wrote in message
    >S Roby wrote:
    >>> I bought a DVD off trademe & I'm pretty sure its pirated
    >>> How can I tell
    >>> It is only approx 4Gig, single sided, the cover doent look like
    >>> covers on ligit DVD's & there are no 'extras' except for a bunch of
    >>> phots (screen caps from the film) Also the DVD has 'dvd5' on it.

    >> No copywright or distributor info onthe cover
    >> It region free
    >> The silver layer is crap near the eadge of the disk
    >>
    >> I did a bit of snoo[ping around (Google)
    >> Virgin may be selling pirated disks. It looks like the one I was sold
    >> Note the spelling & grammar mistakes
    >>
    >> http://www.virginmegastores.co.uk/entertainment/dvd/18758-dvd-feature-film-dvd-house-ii-dvd.html
    >>
    >> Heres the real (USA) version on the distributors site
    >> Note no spelling or grammar errors & the extras are all there
    >>
    >> http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/index.asp?p=CatalogDetail&SKU=DV11425&PriCatID=3
    >>
    >> Barcode on my disk is
    >> 5028157201533
    >>
    >> If anyone has the software to check it I'd appreciate it
    >>
    >> the

    > This is the info I have corresponding to that barcode
    >
    > House 2 - The Second Story
    > Region Coding: 2
    > Production Year: 1987
    > Rating: 18
    > Running Time: 88 min.
    > DVD Release: 16/08/1999
    > Original Title:
    > Case Type: Keep Case
    > Video Formats: Full Frame 1.33:1
    > Disc Formats: Single Sided, Single Layered
    >
    > Note the last line, it appears that this DVD is in fact single layered.
    > And it is region 2 (UK). Looking at the cover on the virgin site it
    > matches the one DVD profiler has. So the results are basically
    > inconclusive at the moment. Are you sure the disc you have isn't region
    > protected? how did you test this?

    DVD Info pro will give you region info off the DVD (freeware, google for it)

    Paul.

    PC, Jan 18, 2006
  5. It is common for original DVDs to have crappy looking silver at the edges.

    Some may resemble wavy like watermarks, which some claim is an indication
    that the DVD will deteriorate quickly.

    Whalemeat is Yummy, Jan 18, 2006
  6. S Roby

    Mark Remfrey Guest

    "S Roby" <> wrote in message
    >> I bought a DVD off trademe & I'm pretty sure its pirated
    >> How can I tell
    >> It is only approx 4Gig, single sided, the cover doent look like covers on
    >> ligit DVD's & there are no 'extras' except for a bunch of phots (screen
    >> caps
    >> from the film) Also the DVD has 'dvd5' on it.

    > No copywright or distributor info onthe cover
    > It region free
    > The silver layer is crap near the eadge of the disk
    >
    > I did a bit of snoo[ping around (Google)
    > Virgin may be selling pirated disks. It looks like the one I was sold
    > Note the spelling & grammar mistakes
    >
    > http://www.virginmegastores.co.uk/entertainment/dvd/18758-dvd-feature-film-dvd-house-ii-dvd.html
    >
    > Heres the real (USA) version on the distributors site
    > Note no spelling or grammar errors & the extras are all there
    >
    > http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/index.asp?p=CatalogDetail&SKU=DV11425&PriCatID=3
    >
    > Barcode on my disk is
    > 5028157201533
    >
    > If anyone has the software to check it I'd appreciate it

    I was at a meeting at the Intellectual Property Office yesterday (for work
    reasons), and questioned them over copying/pirating issues as a side issue.

    The quick way to check authenticity of a DVD is to see if it has the censors
    classification sticker, with holographic strip, on the package. It is a
    legal requirement to have it there if sold through any retail channel.

    (It doesn't stop someone peeling it off, but apparently the adhesive is
    pretty good, and will leave tell-tale markings if removed)

    --

    Regards,
    Mark Remfrey

    "Two wrongs don't make a right.... it usually takes three or more!"

    Mark Remfrey, Jan 18, 2006
  7. Mark Remfrey wrote:
    > I was at a meeting at the Intellectual Property Office yesterday

    (for work
    > reasons), and questioned them over copying/pirating issues as a side issue.
    >
    > The quick way to check authenticity of a DVD is to see if it has the censors
    > classification sticker, with holographic strip, on the package. It is a
    > legal requirement to have it there if sold through any retail channel.
    >
    > (It doesn't stop someone peeling it off, but apparently the adhesive is
    > pretty good, and will leave tell-tale markings if removed)

    That is actually one of the reasons I don't buy DVDs here. if they
    didn't put those damn stickers on that damaged the packages, I'd buy
    more locally.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jan 18, 2006
  8. T'was the Wed, 18 Jan 2006 20:56:06 +1300 when I remembered The Other
    Guy <> saying something like this:

    >That is actually one of the reasons I don't buy DVDs here. if they
    >didn't put those damn stickers on that damaged the packages, I'd buy
    >more locally.

    What do you mean damaged?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Jan 18, 2006
  9. S Roby

    Crains Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Wed, 18 Jan 2006 20:56:06 +1300 when I remembered The Other
    > Guy <> saying something like this:
    >
    >> That is actually one of the reasons I don't buy DVDs here. if they
    >> didn't put those damn stickers on that damaged the packages, I'd buy
    >> more locally.

    > What do you mean damaged?

    I think he means 'damage' and he's right. I hate them as well, sometimes
    they cover important pieces of the cover art, and in the worst case they
    aren't even applied neatly, just at some weird angle on the front.

    Crains, Jan 18, 2006
  10. T'was the Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:02:20 +1300 when I remembered "Crains"
    <> saying something like this:

    >I think he means 'damage' and he's right. I hate them as well, sometimes
    >they cover important pieces of the cover art, and in the worst case they
    >aren't even applied neatly, just at some weird angle on the front.

    I think it's a necessary evil. Well, more to the point, I can't see a
    better way to show age restrictions, short of designing DVD labels
    with a space for the censor sticker.

    What about the overlay most if not all TV channels have on shows they
    air? The worst thing is when they use a feed from another channel
    meaning multiple overlays:(
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Jan 18, 2006
  11. S Roby

    Invisible Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:56:30 +1300, Waylon Kenning
    <> wrote:

    >T'was the Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:02:20 +1300 when I remembered "Crains"
    ><> saying something like this:
    >
    >>I think he means 'damage' and he's right. I hate them as well, sometimes
    >>they cover important pieces of the cover art, and in the worst case they
    >>aren't even applied neatly, just at some weird angle on the front.

    >I think it's a necessary evil. Well, more to the point, I can't see a
    >better way to show age restrictions, short of designing DVD labels
    >with a space for the censor sticker.

    For the ones in plastic cases, they could put them on the inside or outside.

    <rant> sick of no sealed DVDs & CDs over here, with sales droids sticky
    fingerprints all over them </rant>

    Invisible, Jan 18, 2006
  12. S Roby

    Richard Guest

    Invisible wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:56:30 +1300, Waylon Kenning
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>T'was the Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:02:20 +1300 when I remembered "Crains"
    >><> saying something like this:
    >>

    >>>I think he means 'damage' and he's right. I hate them as well, sometimes
    >>>they cover important pieces of the cover art, and in the worst case they
    >>>aren't even applied neatly, just at some weird angle on the front.

    >>I think it's a necessary evil. Well, more to the point, I can't see a
    >>better way to show age restrictions, short of designing DVD labels
    >>with a space for the censor sticker.
    >>

    > For the ones in plastic cases, they could put them on the inside or outside.
    >
    > <rant> sick of no sealed DVDs & CDs over here, with sales droids sticky
    > fingerprints all over them </rant>

    I get sick of used goods being passed off as new all over the place. Even on
    things like appliances you have to look long and hard to find one on the shelf
    thats not being opened and messed with and possibly had the accessories removed.
    I can recall getting a "new" dvd player from the warehouse and when getting it
    home finding the plastic bag wasnt there, and that there was some aweful rap
    disc left in it. Grrr.

    Richard, Jan 18, 2006
  13. S Roby

    Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > I think it's a necessary evil. Well, more to the point, I can't see a
    > better way to show age restrictions, short of designing DVD labels
    > with a space for the censor sticker.

    I think it's such a pain and a waste of time that everything sold here
    has to be evaluated by the NZ censors. Even children's stuff like
    Postman Pat.

    Surely a better way would be for the movie industry to come up with an
    international rating system, and then each country could determine
    based on its own culture and values which ratings were okay for their
    country?

    Perhaps the ratings could be broken down by category, e.g. offensive
    language, violence, sex, nudity, etc. That way one country can decide
    that it allows movies with a violence ratiing of 10 to be sold, while a
    more conservative country might only allow up to 8.

    Then parents could also use the same system to decide what's right for
    their kids.

    It just seems such a waste for movies to be rated in their native
    country, then the NZ censors spend time and money re-evaluating it when
    most of the time it ends up being the same.

    Not to mention you can't sell imported movies on Trademe :)

    , Jan 18, 2006
  14. S Roby

    Shane Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 12:24:30 -0800, kriskirk wrote:

    > Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >> I think it's a necessary evil. Well, more to the point, I can't see a
    >> better way to show age restrictions, short of designing DVD labels with
    >> a space for the censor sticker.

    > I think it's such a pain and a waste of time that everything sold here has
    > to be evaluated by the NZ censors. Even children's stuff like Postman Pat.
    >
    > Surely a better way would be for the movie industry to come up with an
    > international rating system, and then each country could determine based
    > on its own culture and values which ratings were okay for their country?
    >
    > Perhaps the ratings could be broken down by category, e.g. offensive
    > language, violence, sex, nudity, etc. That way one country can decide that
    > it allows movies with a violence ratiing of 10 to be sold, while a more
    > conservative country might only allow up to 8.
    >
    > Then parents could also use the same system to decide what's right for
    > their kids.
    >
    > It just seems such a waste for movies to be rated in their native country,
    > then the NZ censors spend time and money re-evaluating it when most of the
    > time it ends up being the same.
    >
    > Not to mention you can't sell imported movies on Trademe :)

    The problem is, whats offensive here may not be offensive in.......
    <random country of cunts>
    I recall a body language program where the OK hand signal and the thumbs
    up hand signal were considered offensive in some countries/cultures (Ones
    the sign for wanker, the other ones for homosexual, I'll leave it as an
    exercise for the reader to figure out which is which)

    --
    Invest in physics -- own a piece of Dirac!

    Shane, Jan 18, 2006
  15. T'was the Wed, 18 Jan 2006 23:13:15 +1300 when I remembered Invisible
    <> saying something like this:

    >For the ones in plastic cases, they could put them on the inside or outside.

    Not really. It's pretty easy to slide the paper insert out of a DVD,
    then you're left with a censorless DVD.

    ><rant> sick of no sealed DVDs & CDs over here, with sales droids sticky
    >fingerprints all over them </rant>

    I remember some DVDs that have overseas censor ratings on the DVD
    itself as part of the DVD. Smart idea, but I do think if cover
    designers left a small square just blank white, then it wouldn't
    detract so much from the cover. Just my $0.02:)
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Jan 18, 2006
  16. S Roby

    Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > The problem is, whats offensive here may not be offensive in.......

    Yeah but surely these things are the exception, and between most
    western countries there wouldn't be such big differences. Okay maybe
    this standard wouldn't be international, but at least it would cover
    most western countries...

    , Jan 18, 2006
  17. S Roby

    outofdate Guest

    "Invisible" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:56:30 +1300, Waylon Kenning
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >T'was the Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:02:20 +1300 when I remembered "Crains"
    > ><> saying something like this:
    > >
    > >>I think he means 'damage' and he's right. I hate them as well, sometimes
    > >>they cover important pieces of the cover art, and in the worst case they
    > >>aren't even applied neatly, just at some weird angle on the front.

    > >I think it's a necessary evil. Well, more to the point, I can't see a
    > >better way to show age restrictions, short of designing DVD labels
    > >with a space for the censor sticker.
    > >

    > For the ones in plastic cases, they could put them on the inside or

    outside.

    > <rant> sick of no sealed DVDs & CDs over here, with sales droids sticky
    > fingerprints all over them </rant>

    If only it was sticky finger prints I would not mind, it's all the damn
    scratches on so called brand new discs that gets me, this qualifies them as
    a shop soiled product as far as I am concerned and therefore should be sold
    at 2ndhand prices. You can buy 2ndhand discs in better condition than those
    sold in the shops. For this reason I import my discs from Australia or USA
    although on the odd occasion i have attempted to buy a dvd in NZ when they
    are significantly dearer to buy overseas but I become very frustrated with
    the almost impossible task of trying to track down a dvd without scratches,
    there is not one single retailer that does not have this problem. I did
    manage to get star wars trilogy sealed from the warehouse, when they have a
    big release like this they sometimes don't get all the copies out at once
    and so there is no worries about scratches for me. But as usual it is the
    acceptance of shoddy service by NZ customers that is the problem, if
    everyone asked to look at the discs for scratches and then did not accept it
    and ask to look at another things would soon change, they look at me like i
    am an alien when i ask to do this and I know the process is annoying to them
    as well as for me.

    outofdate, Jan 18, 2006
  18. S Roby

    Mutlley Guest

    Waylon Kenning <> wrote:

    >T'was the Wed, 18 Jan 2006 23:13:15 +1300 when I remembered Invisible
    ><> saying something like this:
    >
    >>For the ones in plastic cases, they could put them on the inside or outside.

    >Not really. It's pretty easy to slide the paper insert out of a DVD,
    >then you're left with a censorless DVD.

    Oh give me a break. Who would sell a DVD with out the cover???

    I for one would welcome the censor sticker on the out side so i could
    peal it off easily rather than having to spray label remover stuff
    on the artwork so I can see all of the cover rather than have a
    sticker across information

    Mutlley, Jan 18, 2006
  19. S Roby

    shannon Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 12:24:30 -0800, kriskirk wrote:
    >

    >>Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >>
    >>>I think it's a necessary evil. Well, more to the point, I can't see a
    >>>better way to show age restrictions, short of designing DVD labels with
    >>>a space for the censor sticker.

    >>I think it's such a pain and a waste of time that everything sold here has
    >>to be evaluated by the NZ censors. Even children's stuff like Postman Pat.
    >>
    >>Surely a better way would be for the movie industry to come up with an
    >>international rating system, and then each country could determine based
    >>on its own culture and values which ratings were okay for their country?
    >>
    >>Perhaps the ratings could be broken down by category, e.g. offensive
    >>language, violence, sex, nudity, etc. That way one country can decide that
    >>it allows movies with a violence ratiing of 10 to be sold, while a more
    >>conservative country might only allow up to 8.
    >>
    >>Then parents could also use the same system to decide what's right for
    >>their kids.
    >>
    >>It just seems such a waste for movies to be rated in their native country,
    >>then the NZ censors spend time and money re-evaluating it when most of the
    >>time it ends up being the same.
    >>
    >>Not to mention you can't sell imported movies on Trademe :)

    > The problem is, whats offensive here may not be offensive in.......
    > <random country of cunts>
    > I recall a body language program where the OK hand signal and the thumbs
    > up hand signal were considered offensive in some countries/cultures (Ones
    > the sign for wanker, the other ones for homosexual, I'll leave it as an
    > exercise for the reader to figure out which is which)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bush-horns.jpg

    In Italy this salute, accompanied by a twisting of the wrist gesture, is
    considered an insult. It implies that the recipient's wife has been
    sleeping around.

    There is some concern amongst musicians that their sacred symbol is
    being debased.

    http://www.theonion.com/content/node/42365

    shannon, Jan 19, 2006
  20. S Roby

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > The problem is, whats offensive here may not be offensive in.......
    > <random country of c%#&s>

    That totally *unnecessary* use of the c word just got you killfiled.

    You could have said any number of other things there to make your point. In
    fact, that doesn't really express it well at all. I think usenet is a great
    resource and being uncensored is part of that. However, it's people like you
    who stop me recommending it to younger people. You'd think that a group like
    nz.comp wouldn't have gratuitous swearing, at least not to that extent, and
    be relatively safe.

    Call me a prude. (I'm not, I've used the word myself, and no doubt will
    again, in the proper context). Justify it any way you like. I don't care.
    You're being plonked becaue you have crossed my own personal line of what is
    acceptable and what isn't. With no censorship it is up to the individual to
    decide to accept, or otherwise, what is submitted to a NG. I reject your
    postings after reading that in an otherwise civilised, intelligent thread.

    Quite ironic considering the subject being discussed. I suggest you find
    this postulated country and move there, you should fit right in going by
    your language.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 19, 2006