    think those drew a picture of what's running where but then... I wouldn't be
    able to make senseout of them anyway. Any advise on how to identfy then
    solve this would be appreciated.

    jaygreg, Dec 18, 2006

  2. jaygreg wrote:

    > I suppose I need to start by identifying what's using the port it wants.
    > What's the best way to do that?

    The 'netstat' command. Dude, get a clue about the basic tools of your
    operating system!

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Dec 19, 2006

  3. jaygreg

    BernieM Guest

    "jaygreg" <> wrote in message
    > The dial-up ISP "bright.net" has an application that's supposed to speed
    > up internet searches; it's some sort of "accelerator" that gets downloaded
    > to the machine. I put it on my friend's machine after flattening and
    > rebuilding it but now I've run into a conflict; I get a notice that the
    > accelorator won't load because some other program is using the port it
    > needs. So it terminates. The ISP said it's probably due to the Avast
    > anti-virus software running on this WIN98SE system... but he can't give me
    > any advice how to fix it.
    >
    > I suppose I need to start by identifying what's using the port it wants.
    > What's the best way to do that? I had an issue not long ago and ESET
    > (NOD32) told me to run "Hijackthis" and "Autoruns" then send them the
    > reports. I think those drew a picture of what's running where but then...
    > I wouldn't be able to make senseout of them anyway. Any advise on how to
    > identfy then solve this would be appreciated.

    ditto what Fk said plus do some research before you install something on
    your own pc let alone someone else's.

    BernieM, Dec 19, 2006
  4. jaygreg

    jaygreg Guest

    Whaddaya think I'm doin' here... Dude. I'm gettin' what I need to fine tune
    the machine of a friend who knows nothing more than to turn it on and get
    his mail.

    Can you read the diagnostic codes of your car? Do you even know where to
    plug in the meter? Then why would you expect an ordinary user to know how to
    find a conflict with the operating system of a machine more complicated than
    an automobile?

    Thanks for the tip. I'll read about netstat. And rest assured, with that
    lead and any others I need... I'll fix the machine.

    jaygreg, Dec 19, 2006
  5. jaygreg

    Guest

    jaygreg wrote:
    > The dial-up ISP "bright.net" has an application that's supposed to speed up
    > internet searches; it's some sort of "accelerator" that gets downloaded to
    > the machine. I put it on my friend's machine after flattening and rebuilding
    > it but now I've run into a conflict; I get a notice that the accelorator
    > won't load because some other program is using the port it needs. So it
    > terminates. The ISP said it's probably due to the Avast anti-virus software
    > running on this WIN98SE system... but he can't give me any advice how to fix
    > it.
    >
    > I suppose I need to start by identifying what's using the port it wants.
    > What's the best way to do that? I had an issue not long ago and ESET (NOD32)
    > told me to run "Hijackthis" and "Autoruns" then send them the reports. I
    > think those drew a picture of what's running where but then... I wouldn't be
    > able to make senseout of them anyway. Any advise on how to identfy then
    > solve this would be appreciated. PLEASE JOIN ME http://www.aimpages.com/ny3074/profile.html

    , Dec 20, 2006