    get a little better idea where the visitor came from.

    Thanks!
    Scott

    Scott, Feb 3, 2007

  2. Scott

    Guest

    On 3-Feb-2007, Scott <> wrote:

    > Is there some kind of utility that will allow me to look up an IP address..
    > for example: 72.89.196.14 1...and determine something about where it came
    > from? Page stats on my website give me an IP address, and I'd like to
    > get a little better idea where the visitor came from.

    Google for -> who is

    And find sites that convert the dotted quad to registration
    details.
    Some numbers relate to national domains, eg uk.com
    and you need to find the corresponding national who is
    eg Nominet.
    There are also some graphical traceroute utilities that
    will attempt to resolve the dotted quad to registration
    details.
    All it involves is a bit of detective work, sometimes
    simple, sometimes a bit more complex. Like some ISP's
    are registered in one country, from which they draw their
    IP address range, but offer services in several countries.

    , Feb 3, 2007

  3. Scott

    John Guest

    "Scott" <> wrote in message
    > Is there some kind of utility that will allow me to look up an IP
    > address..
    > for example: 72.89.196.14 1...and determine something about where it came
    > from? Page stats on my website give me an IP address, and I'd like to
    > get a little better idea where the visitor came from.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Scott

    Open a CMD prompt window and type

    nslookup 72.89.196.14

    It comes back to a DHCP pool for Verizon in NY.

    John, Feb 3, 2007
  4. Hi
    There are two type of services that are available free on the Internet.
    Whois - You type a domain name (Like, Microsoft.com) and you get the
    publicly avail info about the domain.
    Reverse Whois - You type an IP numbers and you get info about it.
    Your example 72.89.196.14 is an IP own by Verizon. I.e ii is probably an
    address of a customer that uses Verizon DSL.
    You can use Live search or Google (for whois and reverse whois) to find
    pages that provide the service.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 3, 2007
  5. Scott

    Alver Guest

    The following has been quite helpfull for me to identify IP addresses :
    www.senderbase.org

    Alver, Feb 3, 2007