    attaching to a C4506 switch or C2950 ?

    I can not find the command "sh mac dynamic"

    Thank you
    Benson, Sep 5, 2004

  2. Benson

    PES Guest

    "Benson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to know how to identify which workstion ( IP Address ) is
    > attaching to a C4506 switch or C2950 ?
    >
    > I can not find the command "sh mac dynamic"
    >
    > Thank you

    I think show mac-address-table interface fa0/x will get you on any ios based
    switch. You will have to get the ip address from dhcp or an arp cache.
    PES, Sep 5, 2004

  3. Benson

    Scooby Guest

    "PES" <NO*SPAMpestewartREMOVE**SUCKS> wrote in message

    > "Benson" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I want to know how to identify which workstion ( IP Address ) is
    > > attaching to a C4506 switch or C2950 ?
    > >
    > > I can not find the command "sh mac dynamic"
    > >
    > > Thank you

    > I think show mac-address-table interface fa0/x will get you on any ios

    based
    > switch. You will have to get the ip address from dhcp or an arp cache.

    Actually, after you get the mac address, do a show ip arp. That will list
    the ip's with the mac addresses. You made need to do a ping sweep of the
    subnet before looking at the results on the switch, as the mac table will
    have timed out for some addresses.
    Scooby, Sep 5, 2004
  4. Benson

    Guest

    On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 17:13:39 GMT, "Scooby"
    <> wrote:

    >"PES" <NO*SPAMpestewartREMOVE**SUCKS> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Benson" <> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I want to know how to identify which workstion ( IP Address ) is
    >> > attaching to a C4506 switch or C2950 ?
    >> >
    >> > I can not find the command "sh mac dynamic"
    >> >
    >> > Thank you

    >> I think show mac-address-table interface fa0/x will get you on any ios

    >based
    >> switch. You will have to get the ip address from dhcp or an arp cache.
    >>

    >Actually, after you get the mac address, do a show ip arp. That will list
    >the ip's with the mac addresses. You made need to do a ping sweep of the
    >subnet before looking at the results on the switch, as the mac table will
    >have timed out for some addresses.

    I you have Perl, do a search on Cammer.pl. It's a perl script that
    will query a switch and router to generate a list of IP->port numbers.

    Otherwise, with the mac address on the 2950 I believe the command is
    actually "show cam".
    , Sep 5, 2004
  5. Benson

    Benson Guest

    Hi,
    Thanks you all guys,

    But the most important thing is I can not find any command related "to
    find the mac address in my C4506".

    no command "show mac dynamic"
    no command "show mac address"
    no command "show mac"

    What should I do ?

    Benson, Sep 6, 2004
  6. Benson

    Chris Thomas Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi,
    > Thanks you all guys,
    >
    > But the most important thing is I can not find any command related "to
    > find the mac address in my C4506".
    >
    > no command "show mac dynamic"
    > no command "show mac address"
    > no command "show mac"
    >
    > What should I do ?

    On 12.2(18), the command is show mac-address-table
    Chris Thomas, Sep 6, 2004
  7. Benson

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <7PH_c.6635$>,
    says...
    > Actually, after you get the mac address, do a show ip arp. That will list
    > the ip's with the mac addresses. You made need to do a ping sweep of the
    > subnet before looking at the results on the switch, as the mac table will
    > have timed out for some addresses.

    Only if the target mac is in the same vlan. If not, arp will not help
    you. The better way is to do match up the arp table from the router
    with the MAC address on the switch.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Sep 6, 2004