    have come up with zilch after googling away half the night.

    If anyone could provide any info it would be much appreciated.

    bAZZ
    bAZZ, Sep 19, 2003

  2. bAZZ

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > "bAZZ" wrote
    > > I'm trying to track down a manual/specs sheet or anything for an old
    > > Philips 486. It is an all in one unit with monitor and case in one
    > > piece.

    > My GF folks have one, and according to her, it is "a piece of shit".

    Heh Prob would be to someone young who is used to P4/Athlon win XP
    etc. But to these kids who are 7&6 they love it. It only has a 66mhz cpu
    and 32 ram but I was quite suprised at how fast it was running W95.
    Snappy as hell which was a real suprise but it is only running OS, works
    and games. Most of the games are old DOS ones but some windows ones. I
    gave them a stack of old disks and cds with 100s of games from that era
    and now are going to chuck in a bigger hdd, more ram if posssible and
    maybe a faster cdrom as the old 2 speed won't read cdr. It has all the
    old sierra ones like kings quest/police quest/raptor/doom/etcetc.
    ewveryone who has outgrown these old games have given the kids their old
    games and they have run out of room for em all :)

    I had forgotten the fun I used to have on the old 286/386/486 era stuff
    and have been playing away merrily nite after nite. Blast from the past
    and retro gaming LOL.

    Still, these kids enjoy it over there ps1 and xbox. At their age the
    fancy 3d graphics mean nothing and I think it is the fun of playing and
    enjoyment they get that from it that makes it worthwhile to try and
    upgrade it a little for em.

    bAZZ
    bAZZ, Sep 20, 2003

  3. On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 15:03:02 +1200, bAZZ wrote:

    >> My GF folks have one, and according to her, it is "a piece of shit".
    >>

    > Heh Prob would be to someone young who is used to P4/Athlon win XP
    > etc.

    They were a piece of shit when they were sold. Lower spec than everything
    else on the market (pentiums were normal by then) and about 40% more expensive.

    Done through lemmings or some similar chain using the usual dodgy finance
    deals. (I can't remember exactly who it was)
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 20, 2003