    its the other way arround.
    i want the program to be able to tell me what program *uses* a specific dll
    file i tell it to look into.

    Eli Aran, Dec 2, 2004

  2. Eli Aran

    Eli Aran Guest

    there may be a web page that actually gives this information as a service

    "Eli Aran" <> ëúá
    áäåãòä:...
    > i am looking for a simple program that can identify the software that is
    > using (dependant on) a specific dll file.
    > i am not looking for something that goes over all my dll files and tells

    me

    Eli Aran, Dec 2, 2004

  3. Eli Aran

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 20:46:46 +0200, Eli Aran wrote:

    >i am looking for a simple program that can identify the software that is
    >using (dependant on) a specific dll file.

    Dependancy Walker, is a good place to start.
    http://www.dependencywalker.com/

    Another is www.google.com

    Another is previous posts in 24HSHD, in a previous thread
    http://groups.google.com/groups?group=24hoursupport.helpdesk
    I mentioned dependancy walker another poster pointed out another good
    app.

    >i am not looking for something that goes over all my dll files and tells me
    >which of them don't have a matching program using it.
    >its the other way arround.

    Can you imagine how many files would need checked to work that one out?
    A DLL just sitting there could be called by anything at anytime.

    >i want the program to be able to tell me what program *uses* a specific dll
    >file i tell it to look into.

    Viewing the current running processes / libraries helps,
    www.sysinternals.com , see the utilities there.
    ListDLLs
    Process Explorer
    File Mon

    Me

    why?, Dec 2, 2004
  4. Eli Aran

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 20:46:46 +0200, in
    <>
    Eli Aran scrawled:

    <snip>

    >i want the program to be able to tell me what program *uses*
    >a specific dll file i tell it to look into.

    It ain't gonna happen. You might as well ask who
    reads any particular book, or who drives any particular
    car. The best you are going to get is WHAT a particular
    library (.dll) is used for; what functions it holds for other
    programs.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 2, 2004
  5. Eli Aran

    wrote:

    |> i am looking for a simple program that can identify the software that is
    |> using (dependant on) a specific dll file.
    |> i am not looking for something that goes over all my dll files and tells me
    |> which of them don't have a matching program using it.
    |> its the other way arround.
    |> i want the program to be able to tell me what program *uses* a specific dll
    |> file i tell it to look into.

    Dependency Walker as Why mention'd. This program and a lot of other
    great tools are located on all (most) Windows install and Service Pack
    CD's under <Your CD>:\SUPPORT\TOOLS

    , Dec 3, 2004