Ideas wanted for multiple input message player.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PeeCee, Feb 6, 2009.

  1. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    Greetings all.

    I have been asked to create something that can detect any one of 25-30
    discrete inputs and output a sound recording to match the input selected.
    The sound bytes length is expected to vary between 20seconds and 2 minutes
    long

    The two options that occur to me are:
    1 Expand on the Jaycar KC5454 Voice recorder kit.
    2 Use a PC with a digital I/O module to read the inputs and play the sound
    file to match.

    I have already built the Jaycar kit and it does exactly what it claims to
    do, however those that know the kit will appreciate it's capabilities are
    too limited for the task to hand.
    Briefly the kit can record 8 x 5.6 second / 4 x 11 second / 2 x 22 second or
    1 x 45 second message(s).
    The 8 x 5.6 second mode simply doesn't provide a long enough sound byte for
    the task, though the number of modules required (4) keeps the cost down.
    Using one module for each input (1 x 45 second mode) would probably be
    acceptable, but it does push the price over $1000 just for the hardware.
    Idealy a kit or module that record/plays 25 x 120 second sound bytes would
    be the ideal.
    Anyone know of such a kit/module available localy?

    With the PC option the initial problem I am having is finding a NZ source of
    a module that will detect 25 discrete inputs.
    Plenty of <8 channel stuff, but all the 32 / 64 one's I've found on the Net
    are overseas or are on sites that make it hard to find out just who you can
    get them from.
    Anyone got any suggestions?
    The second part of the PC idea, playing a sound byte depending on the input
    selected, I haven't any practical ideas about yet.
    Does anyone know of Windows (or Linux if the input module is useable under
    Linux) software that can play a sound byte in response to any given input.

    Best & TIA

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Feb 6, 2009

  2. PeeCee

    Richard Guest

    PeeCee wrote:
    > Greetings all.
    >
    > I have been asked to create something that can detect any one of 25-30
    > discrete inputs and output a sound recording to match the input selected.
    > The sound bytes length is expected to vary between 20seconds and 2
    > minutes long
    >
    > The two options that occur to me are:
    > 1 Expand on the Jaycar KC5454 Voice recorder kit.
    > 2 Use a PC with a digital I/O module to read the inputs and play the
    > sound file to match.
    >
    > I have already built the Jaycar kit and it does exactly what it claims
    > to do, however those that know the kit will appreciate it's capabilities
    > are too limited for the task to hand.
    > Briefly the kit can record 8 x 5.6 second / 4 x 11 second / 2 x 22
    > second or 1 x 45 second message(s).
    > The 8 x 5.6 second mode simply doesn't provide a long enough sound byte
    > for the task, though the number of modules required (4) keeps the cost
    > down.
    > Using one module for each input (1 x 45 second mode) would probably be
    > acceptable, but it does push the price over $1000 just for the hardware.
    > Idealy a kit or module that record/plays 25 x 120 second sound bytes
    > would be the ideal.
    > Anyone know of such a kit/module available localy?
    >
    > With the PC option the initial problem I am having is finding a NZ
    > source of a module that will detect 25 discrete inputs.
    > Plenty of <8 channel stuff, but all the 32 / 64 one's I've found on the
    > Net are overseas or are on sites that make it hard to find out just who
    > you can get them from.
    > Anyone got any suggestions?
    > The second part of the PC idea, playing a sound byte depending on the
    > input selected, I haven't any practical ideas about yet.
    > Does anyone know of Windows (or Linux if the input module is useable
    > under Linux) software that can play a sound byte in response to any
    > given input.

    There are several inputs for people making arcade cabinets, they make
    them appear as keypresses.

    But since you wont have issues with multiple keypresses you can just use
    a keyboard hack and flash or something to play them...

    Richard, Feb 6, 2009

  3. PeeCee

    Peter M Guest

    On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 19:31:28 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >PeeCee wrote:
    >> Greetings all.
    >>
    >> I have been asked to create something that can detect any one of 25-30
    >> discrete inputs and output a sound recording to match the input selected.
    >> The sound bytes length is expected to vary between 20seconds and 2
    >> minutes long
    >>
    >> The two options that occur to me are:
    >> 1 Expand on the Jaycar KC5454 Voice recorder kit.
    >> 2 Use a PC with a digital I/O module to read the inputs and play the
    >> sound file to match.
    >>
    >> I have already built the Jaycar kit and it does exactly what it claims
    >> to do, however those that know the kit will appreciate it's capabilities
    >> are too limited for the task to hand.
    >> Briefly the kit can record 8 x 5.6 second / 4 x 11 second / 2 x 22
    >> second or 1 x 45 second message(s).
    >> The 8 x 5.6 second mode simply doesn't provide a long enough sound byte
    >> for the task, though the number of modules required (4) keeps the cost
    >> down.
    >> Using one module for each input (1 x 45 second mode) would probably be
    >> acceptable, but it does push the price over $1000 just for the hardware.
    >> Idealy a kit or module that record/plays 25 x 120 second sound bytes
    >> would be the ideal.
    >> Anyone know of such a kit/module available localy?
    >>
    >> With the PC option the initial problem I am having is finding a NZ
    >> source of a module that will detect 25 discrete inputs.
    >> Plenty of <8 channel stuff, but all the 32 / 64 one's I've found on the
    >> Net are overseas or are on sites that make it hard to find out just who
    >> you can get them from.
    >> Anyone got any suggestions?
    >> The second part of the PC idea, playing a sound byte depending on the
    >> input selected, I haven't any practical ideas about yet.
    >> Does anyone know of Windows (or Linux if the input module is useable
    >> under Linux) software that can play a sound byte in response to any
    >> given input.

    >There are several inputs for people making arcade cabinets, they make
    >them appear as keypresses.
    >
    >But since you wont have issues with multiple keypresses you can just use
    >a keyboard hack and flash or something to play them...

    TOA would be the company here to contacts.

    http://www.toaelectronics.com/

    They have a office here in NZ Porirua from memory

    Peter M, Feb 6, 2009
  4. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    Solution found: was Ideas wanted for multiple input message player.

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings all.
    >
    > I have been asked to create something that can detect any one of 25-30
    > discrete inputs and output a sound recording to match the input selected.
    > The sound bytes length is expected to vary between 20seconds and 2 minutes
    > long
    >
    > The two options that occur to me are:
    > 1 Expand on the Jaycar KC5454 Voice recorder kit.
    > 2 Use a PC with a digital I/O module to read the inputs and play the sound
    > file to match.
    >
    > I have already built the Jaycar kit and it does exactly what it claims to
    > do, however those that know the kit will appreciate it's capabilities are
    > too limited for the task to hand.
    > Briefly the kit can record 8 x 5.6 second / 4 x 11 second / 2 x 22 second
    > or 1 x 45 second message(s).
    > The 8 x 5.6 second mode simply doesn't provide a long enough sound byte
    > for the task, though the number of modules required (4) keeps the cost
    > down.
    > Using one module for each input (1 x 45 second mode) would probably be
    > acceptable, but it does push the price over $1000 just for the hardware.
    > Idealy a kit or module that record/plays 25 x 120 second sound bytes would
    > be the ideal.
    > Anyone know of such a kit/module available localy?
    >
    > With the PC option the initial problem I am having is finding a NZ source
    > of a module that will detect 25 discrete inputs.
    > Plenty of <8 channel stuff, but all the 32 / 64 one's I've found on the
    > Net are overseas or are on sites that make it hard to find out just who
    > you can get them from.
    > Anyone got any suggestions?
    > The second part of the PC idea, playing a sound byte depending on the
    > input selected, I haven't any practical ideas about yet.
    > Does anyone know of Windows (or Linux if the input module is useable under
    > Linux) software that can play a sound byte in response to any given input.
    >
    > Best & TIA
    >
    > Paul.

    I have found the complete answer to my quest at:
    http://www.acscontrol.com/Index_CFSound.asp?Page=/Pages/Products/CompactFlash/CFSound_II_Main.htm
    Thanks to those who gave input.

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Feb 7, 2009
  5. PeeCee wrote:
    > Using one module for each input (1 x 45 second mode) would probably be
    > acceptable, but it does push the price over $1000 just for the hardware.
    > Idealy a kit or module that record/plays 25 x 120 second sound bytes
    > would be the ideal.
    > Anyone know of such a kit/module available localy?

    If you are interested in learning how to program a microcontroller, you
    could do this fairly cheaply. Use a computer as a host (maybe you have
    one already, or get one for ~$200 second-hand, or if you want something
    more portable you could buy a brand new EEE PC for $500). Anything that
    has USB and a sound card will work.

    Get the AT90USBKEY:

    http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=3879

    You can program it with USB (i.e. no hardware programmer required). It
    comes with sample code which makes the unit operate as a USB keyboard.
    It takes very minimal modifications to make it check for a connection on
    any of its >32 IO lines and generate a keypress. The board sells for
    about US$30.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    -----------------
    -----------------

    Nicholas Sherlock, Feb 7, 2009
  6. Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > PeeCee wrote:
    >> Using one module for each input (1 x 45 second mode) would probably be
    >> acceptable, but it does push the price over $1000 just for the hardware.
    >> Idealy a kit or module that record/plays 25 x 120 second sound bytes
    >> would be the ideal.
    >> Anyone know of such a kit/module available localy?

    > If you are interested in learning how to program a microcontroller, you
    > could do this fairly cheaply. Use a computer as a host (maybe you have
    > one already, or get one for ~$200 second-hand, or if you want something
    > more portable you could buy a brand new EEE PC for $500). Anything that
    > has USB and a sound card will work.
    >
    > Get the AT90USBKEY:
    >
    > http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=3879
    >
    > You can program it with USB (i.e. no hardware programmer required). It
    > comes with sample code which makes the unit operate as a USB keyboard.
    > It takes very minimal modifications to make it check for a connection on
    > any of its >32 IO lines and generate a keypress. The board sells for
    > about US$30.

    Whoops, I see you already found a solution.. :). This one is cheaper if
    you have a free PC and want to play around, though.. :).

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    -----------------
    -----------------

    Nicholas Sherlock, Feb 7, 2009
  7. PeeCee

    oneofus Guest

    Re: Solution found: was Ideas wanted for multiple input messageplayer.

    PeeCee wrote:
    > "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    >> Greetings all.
    >>
    >> I have been asked to create something that can detect any one of 25-30
    >> discrete inputs and output a sound recording to match the input selected.
    >> The sound bytes length is expected to vary between 20seconds and 2
    >> minutes long
    >>
    >> The two options that occur to me are:
    >> 1 Expand on the Jaycar KC5454 Voice recorder kit.
    >> 2 Use a PC with a digital I/O module to read the inputs and play the
    >> sound file to match.
    >>
    >> I have already built the Jaycar kit and it does exactly what it claims
    >> to do, however those that know the kit will appreciate it's
    >> capabilities are too limited for the task to hand.
    >> Briefly the kit can record 8 x 5.6 second / 4 x 11 second / 2 x 22
    >> second or 1 x 45 second message(s).
    >> The 8 x 5.6 second mode simply doesn't provide a long enough sound
    >> byte for the task, though the number of modules required (4) keeps the
    >> cost down.
    >> Using one module for each input (1 x 45 second mode) would probably be
    >> acceptable, but it does push the price over $1000 just for the hardware.
    >> Idealy a kit or module that record/plays 25 x 120 second sound bytes
    >> would be the ideal.
    >> Anyone know of such a kit/module available localy?
    >>
    >> With the PC option the initial problem I am having is finding a NZ
    >> source of a module that will detect 25 discrete inputs.
    >> Plenty of <8 channel stuff, but all the 32 / 64 one's I've found on
    >> the Net are overseas or are on sites that make it hard to find out
    >> just who you can get them from.
    >> Anyone got any suggestions?
    >> The second part of the PC idea, playing a sound byte depending on the
    >> input selected, I haven't any practical ideas about yet.
    >> Does anyone know of Windows (or Linux if the input module is useable
    >> under Linux) software that can play a sound byte in response to any
    >> given input.
    >>
    >> Best & TIA
    >>
    >> Paul.
    >>

    > I have found the complete answer to my quest at:
    > http://www.acscontrol.com/Index_CFSound.asp?Page=/Pages/Products/CompactFlash/CFSound_II_Main.htm
    >
    > Thanks to those who gave input.
    >
    > Paul.

    OK There's a few other theme park companies that might be of interest
    http://www.gilderfluke.com/
    These guys do similar stuff
    http://www.macklabs.com/dmr.html
    and
    http://www.alcorn.com/products/audio/index.html

    oneofus, Feb 7, 2009
  8. PeeCee

    PeeCee wrote:
    > "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    >> Greetings all.
    >>
    >> I have been asked to create something that can detect any one of 25-30
    >> discrete inputs and output a sound recording to match the input selected.
    >> The sound bytes length is expected to vary between 20seconds and 2
    >> minutes long
    >>
    >> The two options that occur to me are:
    >> 1 Expand on the Jaycar KC5454 Voice recorder kit.
    >> 2 Use a PC with a digital I/O module to read the inputs and play the
    >> sound file to match.
    >>
    >> I have already built the Jaycar kit and it does exactly what it claims
    >> to do, however those that know the kit will appreciate it's
    >> capabilities are too limited for the task to hand.
    >> Briefly the kit can record 8 x 5.6 second / 4 x 11 second / 2 x 22
    >> second or 1 x 45 second message(s).
    >> The 8 x 5.6 second mode simply doesn't provide a long enough sound
    >> byte for the task, though the number of modules required (4) keeps the
    >> cost down.
    >> Using one module for each input (1 x 45 second mode) would probably be
    >> acceptable, but it does push the price over $1000 just for the hardware.
    >> Idealy a kit or module that record/plays 25 x 120 second sound bytes
    >> would be the ideal.
    >> Anyone know of such a kit/module available localy?
    >>
    >> With the PC option the initial problem I am having is finding a NZ
    >> source of a module that will detect 25 discrete inputs.
    >> Plenty of <8 channel stuff, but all the 32 / 64 one's I've found on
    >> the Net are overseas or are on sites that make it hard to find out
    >> just who you can get them from.
    >> Anyone got any suggestions?
    >> The second part of the PC idea, playing a sound byte depending on the
    >> input selected, I haven't any practical ideas about yet.
    >> Does anyone know of Windows (or Linux if the input module is useable
    >> under Linux) software that can play a sound byte in response to any
    >> given input.
    >>
    >> Best & TIA
    >>
    >> Paul.
    >>

    > I have found the complete answer to my quest at:
    > http://www.acscontrol.com/Index_CFSound.asp?Page=/Pages/Products/CompactFlash/CFSound_II_Main.htm
    >
    > Thanks to those who gave input.
    >
    > Paul.

    This one is available locally from Audio Telex, you would have to do
    some logic to encode your discrete inputs to binary.
    http://www.audiotelex.com.au/_uploads/products/3081859_DMA1_Brochure_lo_res.pdf

    oneofus, Feb 8, 2009
  9. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >> PeeCee wrote:
    >>> Using one module for each input (1 x 45 second mode) would probably be
    >>> acceptable, but it does push the price over $1000 just for the hardware.
    >>> Idealy a kit or module that record/plays 25 x 120 second sound bytes
    >>> would be the ideal.
    >>> Anyone know of such a kit/module available localy?

    >> If you are interested in learning how to program a microcontroller, you
    >> could do this fairly cheaply. Use a computer as a host (maybe you have
    >> one already, or get one for ~$200 second-hand, or if you want something
    >> more portable you could buy a brand new EEE PC for $500). Anything that
    >> has USB and a sound card will work.
    >>
    >> Get the AT90USBKEY:
    >>
    >> http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=3879
    >>
    >> You can program it with USB (i.e. no hardware programmer required). It
    >> comes with sample code which makes the unit operate as a USB keyboard. It
    >> takes very minimal modifications to make it check for a connection on any
    >> of its >32 IO lines and generate a keypress. The board sells for about
    >> US$30.

    > Whoops, I see you already found a solution.. :). This one is cheaper if
    > you have a free PC and want to play around, though.. :).
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock
    > -----------------
    > www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed*
    > Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road

    No problems Nicholas, your input is very welcome.
    Actually it's quite amazing how the other good links also came in after I'd
    found something.

    Nice to have some options to play with as (as so often) it's for a small
    local public facility with minimal budget resorces.

    best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Feb 8, 2009