    versions??

    Cheers in advance

    Krazy Bob

    Krazy Bob, Sep 20, 2005

  2. Krazy Bob

    J.wilson Guest

    "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:OmNXe.13163$...
    > Hey guys,
    >
    > I have a computer game installed on D drive and its been patched to 1.3,
    > but with this 1.03 patch they have taken certain things i liked in the
    > orginal 1.0 version.
    >
    > Im only keeping 1.03 to be able to play online, i've tried making another
    > windows user account and tried to install it again on another drive but it
    > only gives me the option to play or modify, not install.
    >
    > Is there anyway of having the game installed twice but be different
    > versions??

    Try starting the install disk from Start, Run, Drive, and installing
    to a different Folder.

    J.wilson, Sep 20, 2005

  3. Krazy Bob

    Mark Remfrey Guest

    "J.wilson" <> wrote in message

    > "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hey guys,
    >>
    >> I have a computer game installed on D drive and its been patched to 1.3,
    >> but with this 1.03 patch they have taken certain things i liked in the
    >> orginal 1.0 version.
    >>
    >> Im only keeping 1.03 to be able to play online, i've tried making another
    >> windows user account and tried to install it again on another drive but
    >> it only gives me the option to play or modify, not install.
    >>
    >> Is there anyway of having the game installed twice but be different
    >> versions??
    >>

    > Try starting the install disk from Start, Run, Drive, and
    > installing
    > to a different Folder.

    Probably won't work, as it's more than likely writing settings out to the
    registry.

    Regards,
    Mark Remfrey

    Mark Remfrey, Sep 20, 2005
  4. Krazy Bob

    JohnO Guest

    J.wilson wrote:
    > "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hey guys,
    > >
    > > I have a computer game installed on D drive and its been patched to 1.3,
    > > but with this 1.03 patch they have taken certain things i liked in the
    > > orginal 1.0 version.
    > >
    > > Im only keeping 1.03 to be able to play online, i've tried making another
    > > windows user account and tried to install it again on another drive but it
    > > only gives me the option to play or modify, not install.
    > >
    > > Is there anyway of having the game installed twice but be different
    > > versions??
    > >

    > Try starting the install disk from Start, Run, Drive, and installing
    > to a different Folder.
    >
    > > Cheers in advance
    > >
    > > Krazy Bob

    I doubt that will work as it most likely stores registry info in a
    shared location and probably removes the old version when the new one
    us installed.

    If you are on Win2k or later you could try creating two
    non-administrative users and install each version separately as each
    user, into different paths. That should keep them separate.

    What game is it and what did you lose from the early version?

    JohnO, Sep 20, 2005
  5. Krazy Bob

    Krazy Bob Guest

    > Hey guys,
    >
    > I have a computer game installed on D drive and its been patched to 1.3,
    > but with this 1.03 patch they have taken certain things i liked in the
    > orginal 1.0 version.
    >
    > Im only keeping 1.03 to be able to play online, i've tried making another
    > windows user account and tried to install it again on another drive but it
    > only gives me the option to play or modify, not install.
    >
    > Is there anyway of having the game installed twice but be different
    > versions??
    >
    > Cheers in advance
    >
    > Krazy Bob

    Problem solved :) thanks to all who put there advice forward, my solution
    was to download the demo version of it, install it to a different partition
    create a new user and was able to do what i could before the patch came out,
    the only problem is the demo version has a 10min run time on it.

    But if anyone has any more ideas, feel free to post them

    Cheers All

    KB

    Krazy Bob, Sep 20, 2005
  6. Krazy Bob

    Armpit Guest

    >> Is there anyway of having the game installed twice but be different
    >> versions??
    >>

    > Try starting the install disk from Start, Run, Drive, and installing
    > to a different Folder.

    On the same lines as already mentioned, it most likely uses registry
    settings. Its less likely to be updating the settings.

    You could install copy (a), the locate the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE settings and
    export them to a file called someting like VersionA.REG

    Next, install copy (b) to a different directory and recheck the same
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry location. With any luck, the settings will now
    refer to the second installation of the game. Export these settings to a
    file called VersionB.REG.

    Now, you should be able to double-click on the registry file to re-import
    the settings prior to running either version, to switch between versions.

    Armpit, Sep 20, 2005
  7. Armpit wrote:
    >>>Is there anyway of having the game installed twice but be different
    >>>versions??
    >>>

    >>Try starting the install disk from Start, Run, Drive, and installing
    >>to a different Folder.
    >>

    > On the same lines as already mentioned, it most likely uses registry
    > settings. Its less likely to be updating the settings.
    >
    > You could install copy (a), the locate the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE settings and
    > export them to a file called someting like VersionA.REG
    >
    > Next, install copy (b) to a different directory and recheck the same
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry location. With any luck, the settings will now
    > refer to the second installation of the game. Export these settings to a
    > file called VersionB.REG.
    >
    > Now, you should be able to double-click on the registry file to re-import
    > the settings prior to running either version, to switch between versions.

    you may want to make some custome files for doing this... basically so
    that it deletes the old branch before adding the new one, or vice
    versa... simply because if you don't, one of them may write keys that
    the other one looks at, but doesn't use yet/anymore, and it may screw
    things up a bit.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 20, 2005
  8. Krazy Bob

    PAM. Guest

    "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > But if anyone has any more ideas, feel free to post them

    Split your drive and install your OS twice. Once on each partition.

    PAM.

    PAM., Sep 20, 2005
  9. Krazy Bob

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "PAM." <> wrote in message
    > "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> But if anyone has any more ideas, feel free to post them

    > Split your drive and install your OS twice. Once on each partition.
    >
    > PAM.

    yea....im not really that confident in doing that :p but thanks anyway PAM.

    cheers
    KB

    Krazy Bob, Sep 20, 2005
  10. Krazy Bob

    Krazy Bob Guest

    >>>Try starting the install disk from Start, Run, Drive, and
    >>>installing
    >>>to a different Folder.
    >>>

    >> On the same lines as already mentioned, it most likely uses registry
    >> settings. Its less likely to be updating the settings.
    >>
    >> You could install copy (a), the locate the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE settings
    >> and
    >> export them to a file called someting like VersionA.REG
    >>
    >> Next, install copy (b) to a different directory and recheck the same
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry location. With any luck, the settings will
    >> now
    >> refer to the second installation of the game. Export these settings to a
    >> file called VersionB.REG.
    >>
    >> Now, you should be able to double-click on the registry file to re-import
    >> the settings prior to running either version, to switch between versions.

    > you may want to make some custome files for doing this... basically so
    > that it deletes the old branch before adding the new one, or vice versa...
    > simply because if you don't, one of them may write keys that the other one
    > looks at, but doesn't use yet/anymore, and it may screw things up a bit.
    >
    > --
    > http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Hmm, playing around with the registry like that is like walking into a mine
    field blindfolded ;-)

    Cheers anyway dave
    KB

    Krazy Bob, Sep 20, 2005
  11. Krazy Bob wrote:

    >>>On the same lines as already mentioned, it most likely uses registry
    >>>settings. Its less likely to be updating the settings.
    >>>
    >>>You could install copy (a), the locate the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE settings
    >>>and
    >>>export them to a file called someting like VersionA.REG
    >>>
    >>>Next, install copy (b) to a different directory and recheck the same
    >>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry location. With any luck, the settings will
    >>>now
    >>>refer to the second installation of the game. Export these settings to a
    >>>file called VersionB.REG.

    >>>Now, you should be able to double-click on the registry file to re-import
    >>>the settings prior to running either version, to switch between versions.

    >>you may want to make some custome files for doing this... basically so
    >>that it deletes the old branch before adding the new one, or vice versa...
    >>simply because if you don't, one of them may write keys that the other one
    >>looks at, but doesn't use yet/anymore, and it may screw things up a bit.

    > Hmm, playing around with the registry like that is like walking into a mine
    > field blindfolded ;-)

    not if you keep backups... I do it for some of the admin work I do
    here... both versions of a particular piece of software installed, bat
    file to launch the registry changes then the applicaion... bat file for
    the other app does the same, only reverse.

    it's not for everyone, but once you understand how the registry is
    ordered, it's "not that hard".

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 21, 2005
  12. In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    >>>you may want to make some custome files for doing this... basically so
    >>>that it deletes the old branch before adding the new one, or vice versa...
    >>>simply because if you don't, one of them may write keys that the other one
    >>>looks at, but doesn't use yet/anymore, and it may screw things up a bit.

    >> Hmm, playing around with the registry like that is like walking into a mine
    >> field blindfolded ;-)

    >not if you keep backups... I do it for some of the admin work I do
    >here... both versions of a particular piece of software installed, bat
    >file to launch the registry changes then the applicaion... bat file for
    >the other app does the same, only reverse.
    >
    >it's not for everyone, but once you understand how the registry is
    >ordered, it's "not that hard".

    Kind of like .ini files ... but harder then ? :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 21, 2005
  13. Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >>>Hmm, playing around with the registry like that is like walking into a mine
    >>>field blindfolded ;-)

    >>not if you keep backups... I do it for some of the admin work I do
    >>here... both versions of a particular piece of software installed, bat
    >>file to launch the registry changes then the applicaion... bat file for
    >>the other app does the same, only reverse.
    >>
    >>it's not for everyone, but once you understand how the registry is
    >>ordered, it's "not that hard".

    > Kind of like .ini files ... but harder then ? :)

    well with ini files you could just script a rename of the ini file for
    whatever use you are using it for that time... once the scripting is
    done, it is practically the same thing... just a shortcut for one, and a
    shortcut for the other...

    Personally I'd prefer to use a switch style of launch for the apps, with
    ini files with the settings.

    app.exe /settings1.ini
    app.exe /settings2.ini
    or similar... much tidier than my previous suggestion.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 21, 2005
  14. In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"

    > <> wrote:

    >>>not if you keep backups... I do it for some of the admin work I do
    >>>here... both versions of a particular piece of software installed, bat
    >>>file to launch the registry changes then the applicaion... bat file for
    >>>the other app does the same, only reverse.
    >>>
    >>>it's not for everyone, but once you understand how the registry is
    >>>ordered, it's "not that hard".

    >> Kind of like .ini files ... but harder then ? :)

    >well with ini files you could just script a rename of the ini file for
    >whatever use you are using it for that time... once the scripting is
    >done, it is practically the same thing... just a shortcut for one, and a
    >shortcut for the other...
    >
    >Personally I'd prefer to use a switch style of launch for the apps, with
    >ini files with the settings.
    >
    >app.exe /settings1.ini
    >app.exe /settings2.ini
    >or similar... much tidier than my previous suggestion.

    Agreed. I guess I was actually thinking of the old batch files when I wrote
    .ini files (doh !). You can set directories, switches and all that sort of
    stuff before launching the app. And sometimes one hand not knowing what the
    other is doing is exactly the answer you need :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 22, 2005