    If no such camera exists, which of these features would you consider
    most expendable in a travel camera that always has to be to there and
    cope with whatever may come?
    AKT, Nov 16, 2007

  2. AKT wrote:
    > Please advise on a pocketable cameras with good color, good IQ, and
    > these features:
    >
    > 1. 28 or wider lens
    > 2. decent telephoto (200+ ?)
    > 3. Aperture priority
    > 4. Image stabilization
    > 5. Fast operation
    > 5. Did I mention pocketable?
    >
    > I can do without high MP's, high ASA's, video, RAW, etc.
    >
    > If no such camera exists, which of these features would you consider
    > most expendable in a travel camera that always has to be to there and
    > cope with whatever may come?

    Panasonic TZ3, Ricoh R5 are two examples, but you may give up some manual
    control. The Panasonic has better IQ and a 28 - 280mm zoom, but at the
    expense of being somewhat bigger and heavier.

    http://www.digicamreview.co.uk/ricoh_caplio_r5_review.htm

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 16, 2007

  3. David J Taylor wrote:
    > AKT wrote:
    >> Please advise on a pocketable cameras with good color, good IQ, and
    >> these features:
    >>
    >> 1. 28 or wider lens
    >> 2. decent telephoto (200+ ?)
    >> 3. Aperture priority
    >> 4. Image stabilization
    >> 5. Fast operation
    >> 5. Did I mention pocketable?
    >>
    >> I can do without high MP's, high ASA's, video, RAW, etc.
    >>
    >> If no such camera exists, which of these features would you consider
    >> most expendable in a travel camera that always has to be to there and
    >> cope with whatever may come?

    > Panasonic TZ3, Ricoh R5 are two examples, but you may give up some
    > manual control. The Panasonic has better IQ and a 28 - 280mm zoom,
    > but at the expense of being somewhat bigger and heavier.
    >
    > http://www.digicamreview.co.uk/ricoh_caplio_r5_review.htm
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    The Panasonic has just gone on sale at 7-day shop for a remarkably low price
    too.

    DP
    Dennis Pogson, Nov 16, 2007
  4. On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 06:25:39 GMT, AKT <> wrote:
    > Please advise on a pocketable cameras with good color, good IQ, and
    > these features:
    >
    > 1. 28 or wider lens
    > 2. decent telephoto (200+ ?)
    > 3. Aperture priority
    > 4. Image stabilization
    > 5. Fast operation
    > 5. Did I mention pocketable?
    >
    > I can do without high MP's, high ASA's, video, RAW, etc.
    >
    > If no such camera exists, which of these features would you consider
    > most expendable in a travel camera that always has to be to there and
    > cope with whatever may come?

    If you can do without the aperture priority, the Panasonic TZ3 would be
    a perfect fit. http://dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Nov 16, 2007
  5. AKT

    Marty Fremen Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
    wrote:

    > AKT wrote:
    >> Please advise on a pocketable cameras with good color, good IQ, and
    >> these features:
    >>
    >> 1. 28 or wider lens
    >> 2. decent telephoto (200+ ?)
    >> 3. Aperture priority
    >> 4. Image stabilization
    >> 5. Fast operation
    >> 5. Did I mention pocketable?
    >>
    >> I can do without high MP's, high ASA's, video, RAW, etc.
    >>
    >> If no such camera exists, which of these features would you consider
    >> most expendable in a travel camera that always has to be to there and
    >> cope with whatever may come?

    > Panasonic TZ3, Ricoh R5 are two examples, but you may give up some manual
    > control.

    There are also the newer R6 and R7 Ricohs, with same 28-200 zoom etc. The
    R6 is said to be a significant improvement over the R5 in image quality and
    general design. Although the R series don't have aperture priority there is
    a choice of metering (multi, centre-weighted and spot (though if the spot
    is like it is on the GX100 it's not really 'spot' but rather the central
    1/9 of the picture)), they also have some useful focussing modes (infinity,
    hyperfocal distance, and manual (not that manual is much use on an LCD, but
    infinity and hyperfocal are nice to have, e.g. cutting out the focussing
    time for quick snaps)).

    Re. travel use, a nice point with the Ricohs is that you can use a pair of
    AAA batteries if you get caught short and unable to charge your Lion
    battery, I don't think the Panasonics offer that option (my Panasonic
    camera doesn't anyhow). AAA batteries won't last all that long but it's
    nice to have it as a fallback option.
    Marty Fremen, Nov 18, 2007
  6. AKT wrote:
    > Please advise on a pocketable cameras with good color, good IQ, and
    > these features:
    >
    > 1. 28 or wider lens
    > 2. decent telephoto (200+ ?)
    > 3. Aperture priority
    > 4. Image stabilization
    > 5. Fast operation
    > 5. Did I mention pocketable?
    >
    > I can do without high MP's, high ASA's, video, RAW, etc.
    >
    > If no such camera exists, which of these features would you consider
    > most expendable in a travel camera that always has to be to there and
    > cope with whatever may come?

    I think the closest you can get to this is the Ricoh R7.

    "http://www.adorama.com/IRCR7B.html?searchinfo=ricoh%20r7&item_no=2"
    SMS 斯蒂文• å¤, Nov 18, 2007