    John
    --
    Photo gallery: http://www.pbase.com/john_russell/
    John Russell, Jul 23, 2003

  2. John Russell

    Paul Rubin Guest

    John Russell <> writes:
    > I have an Epson 2450 Photo scanner and am just getting to scan some
    > slides from a few years back, for home use (maybe up to 11x14 prints).
    > Is 900 DPI a reasonable setting to scan them, or will I look back in a
    > couple of years and cringe and want to do 'em again? (Like I do with
    > the photos I scanned back in '96, as 640x480 GIFs. :) I'm not
    > looking to spend extra $$$ on a real slide scanner, just the best
    > tradeoff of resolution vs. speed on this particular scanner.

    Yes. The idea of an Epson 2450 scanner is to scan at 2450 dpi (or was
    it 2400). Use it that way. If you spend more $$$ on a real slide
    scanner, get a 4000 dpi unit and scan at that.
    Paul Rubin, Jul 23, 2003

  3. John Russell

    pary Guest

    I use my olympus e-20 as a makeshift slide copier (at highest
    resolution) and get results good enough for an 8 by 10 print. much
    faster, too, than scanning...

    pary, Jul 24, 2003
  4. John Russell

    Savidge4 Guest

    >I have an Epson 2450 Photo scanner and am just getting to scan some
    >slides from a few years back, for home use (maybe up to 11x14 prints).
    >Is 900 DPI a reasonable setting to scan them, or will I look back in a
    >couple of years and cringe and want to do 'em again? (Like I do with
    >the photos I scanned back in '96, as 640x480 GIFs. :) I'm not
    >looking to spend extra $$$ on a real slide scanner, just the best
    >tradeoff of resolution vs. speed on this particular scanner.
    >
    >John

    John,

    You can do the simple math here to determin the needed DPI for the scan to get
    the results you want from the print.

    We can simply take 300 dpi as the print output and multiply the output size by
    the output dpi to get the resolution needed in the original scan. 300 x 11
    (3300) 300 x (4200)

    At 900 dpi you are getting a base resolution of 900x1350 (1 inch x 1.5 inches
    at 900 dpi) when you want 3300x4200

    ok so you are now saying it will only scan at 2400 dpi. that gives you
    2400x3600 and you want 3300x4200. There is a trick for this. Set the scanner
    to give you an image at 200%. In other words produce a file that is 2400 dpi
    with a physical size of 2 inches x 3 inches. you can then bring that image
    into photoshop or the like and bring the 2x3 @2400 dpi upto 1x1.5 @ 4800 dpi.
    giving you the effective resolution of 4800x7200.. far more than you need!

    hope that helps!
    Savidge4, Jul 24, 2003