    video card (GeForce FX 5600) is reporting a core temp of 69C (156F) and an
    ambient temp of 40C (104F). That seems high (room temp is 80F), and the fans
    are still blowing low speed.

    Matthew Superstar Swass, Sep 7, 2004

  2. Matthew Superstar Swass

    Thor Guest

    "Matthew Superstar Swass" <> wrote in message
    > The fans in both the power supply and on the back of my HP are painfully

    weak.
    > Always have been.
    >
    > Just to see what would happen, I pulled one out of the HP and hooked it up

    > another computers MOBO and low and behold, it blew like it should.
    >
    > What's going on here?
    >
    > Do they ever change as the heat goes up? Right now (computer has been

    idle) my
    > video card (GeForce FX 5600) is reporting a core temp of 69C (156F) and an
    > ambient temp of 40C (104F). That seems high (room temp is 80F), and the

    fans
    > are still blowing low speed.

    That's fairly normal for an ambient temp, especially for a room temp of 80F
    (I'd even say it's on the low side with the room being that warm). I'm not
    too familiar with what the typical core temps of video card GPUs are these
    days, so I can't comment about whether that is normal, or abnormal, but I'd
    say that if it were too hot you'd either lock up, or see video garbage on
    the screen. Many fans in power supplies and video cards are indeed
    temperature regulated, so that is a distinct possibility.

    Thor, Sep 8, 2004

  3. Matthew Superstar Swass

    Jerry G. Guest

    The fans are most likely temperature regulated.

    If you want fans that are constant, as how I like them, just go out and buy
    new fans that work at constant velocity. You will find the computer to be
    noisier. But, it will most likely run cooler.

    --

    Jerry G.

    Jerry G., Sep 8, 2004