    Why not design a sensor which has similar latitude properties of color film?

    Is this possible?

    Patrick

    Patrick L., Oct 18, 2003

  2. Patrick L.

    Alan Browne Guest

    Patrick L. wrote:

    > Why not design a sensor which has similar latitude properties of color film?
    >
    > Is this possible?
    >

    > Patrick

    Assuming you mean exposure latitude ... which color film? Digital
    already has slightly better lattitude than slide, and if you really work
    RAW, you can eek out another stop or so if you ignore the under-exp look
    in the LCD screen and wait to fix in PS ...and this brings it to
    similar latitude as color neg... (although color neg has higher over exp
    tolerance v. digital better under-exp tolerance.)

    I don't know how the digital camera makers approach their particular
    problems in life, but as digital has really come into its own only in
    the last couple years we have a few years of improvments in front of us
    which should inlcude better color and possibly more exp latitude.

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Oct 18, 2003

  3. Patrick L.

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 18:09:32 GMT, "Patrick L."
    <> wrote:

    >Why not design a sensor which has similar latitude properties of color film?
    >
    >Is this possible?
    >

    >Patrick

    We.......ll, maybe. We are dealing with different realities.
    Electronic sensors have some fundamental limitations based on the
    properties of Silicon and the yield in making devices. for many
    years, the conventional wisdom was that a range of 10,000 was about
    it. This corresponds to 4.0 in the terms that photographers typically
    use.

    Fuji is claiming a new trick for more dynamic range--involving small a
    large photosensors within the same pixel site. While they are taking
    some heat over the way they advertise this device, I have heard people
    say that the dynamic range claims may have merit.

    More generally, processing of the image data at the pixel level is one
    of many things that might help dynamic range. The downside is that it
    takes up Silicon real estate and makes it hard to get a large number
    of pixels.

    -Mark

    digital photos, more and better computers,
    and never enough time to do the projects.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to No

    Mark Herring, Oct 18, 2003
  4. Patrick L.

    JOAT Guest

    "Patrick L." <> wrote in message news:<wlfkb.1572$>...
    > Why not design a sensor which has similar latitude properties of color film?
    >
    > Is this possible?
    >

    > Patrick

    Take your idea and shove it up the crack of your unlubricated asshole,
    you fucking cocksucking pig!

    "Life aint nothin' but twinks and chinks!" (Sexy gay young men and
    Chinese food!) -JOAT (Jerk-Off All Twinks)

    JOAT, Oct 19, 2003
  5. Patrick L.

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Silicon photodetectors currently have a quantum efficiency of close to
    50%. That does not leave much room for improvement.

    However, there are ways to make almost noiseless electron amplifiers,
    such as a photomultiplier tube or some avalanche photodiodes, and
    finding a way to make an array from a good detector-amplifier chain
    might do it.

    Such a focal plane might have to be cooled, however.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Oct 19, 2003