Idea: Time clock with bell.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Skybuck Flying, Oct 27, 2009.

  1. Hello,

    There is a story on the internet/www about pilots losing track of time...
    something that has happened to me quite often as well when being busy with a
    computer.

    A solution might be to include a "jingle or bell" at fixed time intervals...
    Like old clocks do...

    So for example windows could play a "jingle or bell" each hour...

    Or maybe user specified...

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
     
    Skybuck Flying, Oct 27, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Skybuck Flying

    Bob I Guest

    Pick the one you fancy
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...alarm clock&aq=0&oq=Software alarm&aqi=g2g-m8

    Skybuck Flying wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > There is a story on the internet/www about pilots losing track of time...
    > something that has happened to me quite often as well when being busy with a
    > computer.
    >
    > A solution might be to include a "jingle or bell" at fixed time intervals...
    > Like old clocks do...
    >
    > So for example windows could play a "jingle or bell" each hour...
    >
    > Or maybe user specified...
    >
    > Bye,
    > Skybuck.
    >
    >
     
    Bob I, Oct 27, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Yes but now I run the risk of spyware and viruses... and would have to
    install this on any other computer I might be at ;)

    I was also thinking about maybe a voice which says:

    "It's now 4 o clock"

    or

    "It's now 4 o clock and 5 minutes" ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    "Bob I" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Pick the one you fancy
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...alarm clock&aq=0&oq=Software alarm&aqi=g2g-m8
    >
    > Skybuck Flying wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> There is a story on the internet/www about pilots losing track of time...
    >> something that has happened to me quite often as well when being busy
    >> with a computer.
    >>
    >> A solution might be to include a "jingle or bell" at fixed time
    >> intervals... Like old clocks do...
    >>
    >> So for example windows could play a "jingle or bell" each hour...
    >>
    >> Or maybe user specified...
    >>
    >> Bye,
    >> Skybuck.

    >
     
    Skybuck Flying, Oct 27, 2009
    #3
  4. Skybuck Flying

    Tom Willett Guest

    How about plain common sense?
    Pilots should know better.

    "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote in message
    news:6170c$4ae767b0$d53372a9$1.nb.home.nl...
    : Yes but now I run the risk of spyware and viruses... and would have to
    : install this on any other computer I might be at ;)
    :
    : I was also thinking about maybe a voice which says:
    :
    : "It's now 4 o clock"
    :
    : or
    :
    : "It's now 4 o clock and 5 minutes" ;)
    :
    : Bye,
    : Skybuck.
    :
    : "Bob I" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > Pick the one you fancy
    : >
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...alarm clock&aq=0&oq=Software alarm&aqi=g2g-m8
    : >
    : > Skybuck Flying wrote:
    : >> Hello,
    : >>
    : >> There is a story on the internet/www about pilots losing track of
    time...
    : >> something that has happened to me quite often as well when being busy
    : >> with a computer.
    : >>
    : >> A solution might be to include a "jingle or bell" at fixed time
    : >> intervals... Like old clocks do...
    : >>
    : >> So for example windows could play a "jingle or bell" each hour...
    : >>
    : >> Or maybe user specified...
    : >>
    : >> Bye,
    : >> Skybuck.
    : >
    :
    :
     
    Tom Willett, Oct 27, 2009
    #4
  5. Re: Time clock with bell.

    Wife has a Cookoo Clock and I have a Grandfather clock in which both chime
    on the 1/2 hour and count the hour plus grandfather plays tune on hour and
    guess what. After hearing it for all these years we don't even hear it
    anymore. My guess your idea would work the same. Now if it opened a screen
    that covered the whole monitor at set time where you have to click on the X
    in the upper right corner to close it would be the only way it would work
    for me.
    ===================
    "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote in message
    news:4d55c$4ae7519c$d53372a9$1.nb.home.nl...
    > Hello,
    >
    > There is a story on the internet/www about pilots losing track of time...
    > something that has happened to me quite often as well when being busy with
    > a computer.
    >
    > A solution might be to include a "jingle or bell" at fixed time
    > intervals... Like old clocks do...
    >
    > So for example windows could play a "jingle or bell" each hour...
    >
    > Or maybe user specified...
    >
    > Bye,
    > Skybuck.
    >
     
    David B. Mathews, Oct 27, 2009
    #5
  6. "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote in message
    news:6170c$4ae767b0$d53372a9$1.nb.home.nl...
    > Yes but now I run the risk of spyware and viruses... and would have to
    > install this on any other computer I might be at ;)
    >
    > I was also thinking about maybe a voice which says:
    >
    > "It's now 4 o clock"
    >
    > or
    >
    > "It's now 4 o clock and 5 minutes" ;)
    > ...


    I Googled talking clocks and noted various downloadable applications,
    but then it hit me, this is the Christmas shopping season, just the
    time of year when cheap gadgets that do this kind of thing inhabit
    the shelves of places like the Source (Canadian successor to
    Radio Shack). Get a talking clock. A literal, standalone device.
    Put it on your work surface where you can hear it. Turn it on.
    No virus problems other than possible H1N1 from the last person
    to pass by who couldn't stand listening to the thing, or who
    decided to give you a Halloween treat by switching it to Santiago
    time and changing the language to Spanish.
     
    Anthony Buckland, Oct 27, 2009
    #6
  7. Skybuck Flying

    Antares 531 Guest

    On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:01:46 +0100, "Skybuck Flying"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >There is a story on the internet/www about pilots losing track of time...
    >something that has happened to me quite often as well when being busy with a
    >computer.
    >
    >A solution might be to include a "jingle or bell" at fixed time intervals...
    >Like old clocks do...
    >
    >So for example windows could play a "jingle or bell" each hour...
    >
    >Or maybe user specified...
    >
    >Bye,
    > Skybuck.
    >

    In the olden days pirates got along quite well with a talking parrot
    on their shoulder. Would this work for you? Of course there is that
    problem of parrot excrement. Maybe computer viruses aren't so nasty,
    after all??? Gordon
     
    Antares 531, Oct 27, 2009
    #7
  8. Skybuck Flying

    biermanoski Guest

    It must be just Me...I find myself looking down to the right (System Tray)
    every 15 minutes or so.

    Unfortunately, it still doesn't help my computer addiction :(((

    Maybe, I need one of those rubber mallets, to hit Me in the head every 15
    minutes instead. hehehe

    Jean


    "Tom Willett" wrote:

    >
    > How about plain common sense?
    > Pilots should know better.
    >
    > "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote in message
    > news:6170c$4ae767b0$d53372a9$1.nb.home.nl...
    > : Yes but now I run the risk of spyware and viruses... and would have to
    > : install this on any other computer I might be at ;)
    > :
    > : I was also thinking about maybe a voice which says:
    > :
    > : "It's now 4 o clock"
    > :
    > : or
    > :
    > : "It's now 4 o clock and 5 minutes" ;)
    > :
    > : Bye,
    > : Skybuck.
    > :
    > : "Bob I" <> wrote in message
    > : news:...
    > : > Pick the one you fancy
    > : >
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...alarm clock&aq=0&oq=Software alarm&aqi=g2g-m8
    > : >
    > : > Skybuck Flying wrote:
    > : >> Hello,
    > : >>
    > : >> There is a story on the internet/www about pilots losing track of
    > time...
    > : >> something that has happened to me quite often as well when being busy
    > : >> with a computer.
    > : >>
    > : >> A solution might be to include a "jingle or bell" at fixed time
    > : >> intervals... Like old clocks do...
    > : >>
    > : >> So for example windows could play a "jingle or bell" each hour...
    > : >>
    > : >> Or maybe user specified...
    > : >>
    > : >> Bye,
    > : >> Skybuck.
    > : >
    > :
    > :
    >
    >
    > .
    >
     
    biermanoski, Oct 28, 2009
    #8
  9. Skybuck Flying

    Bob I Guest

    Then you should forget the clock business, and get your PC security up
    to par first! ;-)

    Skybuck Flying wrote:

    > Yes but now I run the risk of spyware and viruses... and would have to
    > install this on any other computer I might be at ;)
    >
    > I was also thinking about maybe a voice which says:
    >
    > "It's now 4 o clock"
    >
    > or
    >
    > "It's now 4 o clock and 5 minutes" ;)
    >
    > Bye,
    > Skybuck.
    >
    > "Bob I" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    >>Pick the one you fancy
    >>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...alarm clock&aq=0&oq=Software alarm&aqi=g2g-m8
    >>
    >>Skybuck Flying wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>There is a story on the internet/www about pilots losing track of time...
    >>>something that has happened to me quite often as well when being busy
    >>>with a computer.
    >>>
    >>>A solution might be to include a "jingle or bell" at fixed time
    >>>intervals... Like old clocks do...
    >>>
    >>>So for example windows could play a "jingle or bell" each hour...
    >>>
    >>>Or maybe user specified...
    >>>
    >>>Bye,
    >>> Skybuck.

    >>

    >
    >
     
    Bob I, Oct 28, 2009
    #9
  10. Skybuck Flying

    Gary Mount Guest

    I think there are Windows Vista and Windows 7 desktop or sidebar gadgets
    that do this kind of thing.


    "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote in message
    news:4d55c$4ae7519c$d53372a9$1.nb.home.nl...
    > Hello,
    >
    > There is a story on the internet/www about pilots losing track of time...
    > something that has happened to me quite often as well when being busy with
    > a computer.
    >
    > A solution might be to include a "jingle or bell" at fixed time
    > intervals... Like old clocks do...
    >
    > So for example windows could play a "jingle or bell" each hour...
    >
    > Or maybe user specified...
    >
    > Bye,
    > Skybuck.
    >
     
    Gary Mount, Oct 28, 2009
    #10
  11. Skybuck Flying

    Bernd Guest

    -------- Original-Nachricht --------

    > Hello,
    >
    > There is a story on the internet/www about pilots losing track of time...
    > something that has happened to me quite often as well when being busy with a
    > computer.
    >
    > A solution might be to include a "jingle or bell" at fixed time intervals...
    > Like old clocks do...
    >
    > So for example windows could play a "jingle or bell" each hour...
    >
    > Or maybe user specified...
    >
    > Bye,
    > Skybuck.
    >
    >


    How about a daily task at the same time, created with starting an mp3
    file by Windows Task Scheduler ?

    Bernd
     
    Bernd, Oct 28, 2009
    #11
  12. Skybuck Flying

    Bob I Guest

    Bernd wrote:

    >
    >
    > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> There is a story on the internet/www about pilots losing track of
    >> time... something that has happened to me quite often as well when
    >> being busy with a computer.
    >>
    >> A solution might be to include a "jingle or bell" at fixed time
    >> intervals... Like old clocks do...
    >>
    >> So for example windows could play a "jingle or bell" each hour...
    >>
    >> Or maybe user specified...
    >>
    >> Bye,
    >> Skybuck.
    >>

    >
    > How about a daily task at the same time, created with starting an mp3
    > file by Windows Task Scheduler ?
    >
    > Bernd


    or perhaps a .wav file recorded by your significant other? <big grin>
     
    Bob I, Oct 28, 2009
    #12
  13. Skybuck Flying

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:eZ$,
    Bob I typed on Wed, 28 Oct 2009 09:59:02 -0500:
    > Bernd wrote:
    >> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> There is a story on the internet/www about pilots losing track of
    >>> time... something that has happened to me quite often as well when
    >>> being busy with a computer.
    >>>
    >>> A solution might be to include a "jingle or bell" at fixed time
    >>> intervals... Like old clocks do...
    >>>
    >>> So for example windows could play a "jingle or bell" each hour...
    >>>
    >>> Or maybe user specified...
    >>>
    >>> Bye,
    >>> Skybuck.

    >>
    >> How about a daily task at the same time, created with starting an mp3
    >> file by Windows Task Scheduler ?
    >>
    >> Bernd

    >
    > or perhaps a .wav file recorded by your significant other? <big grin>


    There are free (and commercial) clock programs that ring on the quarter,
    half, and hour. I used to use them at one time.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2
     
    BillW50, Oct 28, 2009
    #13
  14. Skybuck Flying

    Bob I Guest

    BillW50 wrote:

    > In news:eZ$,
    > Bob I typed on Wed, 28 Oct 2009 09:59:02 -0500:
    >
    >>Bernd wrote:
    >>
    >>>-------- Original-Nachricht --------
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Hello,
    >>>>
    >>>>There is a story on the internet/www about pilots losing track of
    >>>>time... something that has happened to me quite often as well when
    >>>>being busy with a computer.
    >>>>
    >>>>A solution might be to include a "jingle or bell" at fixed time
    >>>>intervals... Like old clocks do...
    >>>>
    >>>>So for example windows could play a "jingle or bell" each hour...
    >>>>
    >>>>Or maybe user specified...
    >>>>
    >>>>Bye,
    >>>> Skybuck.
    >>>
    >>>How about a daily task at the same time, created with starting an mp3
    >>>file by Windows Task Scheduler ?
    >>>
    >>>Bernd

    >>
    >>or perhaps a .wav file recorded by your significant other? <big grin>

    >
    >
    > There are free (and commercial) clock programs that ring on the quarter,
    > half, and hour. I used to use them at one time.
    >

    Already pointed him there in that direction on the first reply. ;-)
     
    Bob I, Oct 28, 2009
    #14
  15. "Bob I" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Then you should forget the clock business, and get your PC security up to
    > par first! ;-)


    That's exactly what I am doing.

    Not downloading any suspicious software ! ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
     
    Skybuck Flying, Nov 1, 2009
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Sonic
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    701
    William
    Dec 24, 2003
  2. PS

    Sync for PC clock and server clock

    PS, May 12, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    800
    Dave Lear
    May 13, 2005
  3. Thaqalain
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    553
    Thaqalain
    Sep 28, 2005
  4. RichA

    Stupidest idea in a long time

    RichA, Mar 25, 2005, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    455
    Bernie Woodham
    Mar 29, 2005
  5. Anonymous

    TIME-LAPSE POPSICLE & CLOCK VIDEO TIME-LAPSE

    Anonymous, Jul 18, 2012, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    547
    Anonymous
    Jul 18, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page