    any advice appreciated

    steve

    , May 3, 2005

  2. philo Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi all, i just bought a ide to usb connection cable that should allow
    > me to connect any3.5 hd to my laptop, tried it last night and i got
    > the drive showing in device manager but it would not show up in my
    > computer im using win 2000 pro.
    >
    > any advice appreciated

    if the drive is also new...
    using disk management
    you need to partition and format the drive

    philo, May 3, 2005

  3. Guest

    On Tue, 03 May 2005 06:59:51 -0500, philo <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Hi all, i just bought a ide to usb connection cable that should allow
    >> me to connect any3.5 hd to my laptop, tried it last night and i got
    >> the drive showing in device manager but it would not show up in my
    >> computer im using win 2000 pro.
    >>
    >> any advice appreciated
    >>

    >if the drive is also new...
    >using disk management
    >you need to partition and format the drive

    You can only see the drive in device manager

    steve

    , May 3, 2005
  4. philo Guest

    wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 May 2005 06:59:51 -0500, philo <> wrote:
    >

    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi all, i just bought a ide to usb connection cable that should allow
    >>>me to connect any3.5 hd to my laptop, tried it last night and i got
    >>>the drive showing in device manager but it would not show up in my
    >>>computer im using win 2000 pro.
    >>>
    >>>any advice appreciated
    >>>

    >>if the drive is also new...
    >>using disk management
    >>you need to partition and format the drive

    > You can only see the drive in device manager

    when you go to disk management...
    you're saying it's not there?

    philo, May 3, 2005
  5. Guest

    On Tue, 03 May 2005 07:20:42 -0500, philo <> wrote:

    > wrote:

    >>>if the drive is also new...
    >>>using disk management
    >>>you need to partition and format the drive

    >> You can only see the drive in device manager
    >>

    >when you go to disk management...
    >you're saying it's not there?

    yes but you can see the drive in device manager

    steve

    , May 3, 2005
  6. Guest

    On Tue, 03 May 2005 07:20:42 -0500, philo <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Tue, 03 May 2005 06:59:51 -0500, philo <> wrote:
    >>

    >> You can only see the drive in device manager
    >>

    >when you go to disk management...
    >you're saying it's not there?

    when you first plug it in windows says new usn device mass storage but
    its only seen in device manager as a disk drive

    , May 3, 2005
  7. old jon Guest

    As philo asked, has the drive been partitioned and formatted ?. People try
    to help resolve each others problems, but do need as much info as possible
    so they can help. best wishes..J

    old jon, May 3, 2005
  8. Guest

    On Tue, 03 May 2005 13:15:43 GMT, "old jon"
    <> wrote:

    >As philo asked, has the drive been partitioned and formatted ?. People try
    >to help resolve each others problems, but do need as much info as possible
    >so they can help. best wishes..J
    >
    >"philo" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >>> Hi all, i just bought a ide to usb connection cable that should allow
    >>> me to connect any3.5 hd to my laptop, tried it last night and i got
    >>> the drive showing in device manager but it would not show up in my
    >>> computer im using win 2000 pro.
    >>>
    >>> any advice appreciated
    >>>

    >> if the drive is also new...
    >> using disk management
    >> you need to partition and format the drive

    No the disk i took out of a working machine so its formatted etc

    steve

    , May 3, 2005
  9. Guest

    <> wrote:

    >As philo asked, has the drive been partitioned and formatted ?. People try
    >to help resolve each others problems, but do need as much info as possible
    >so they can help. best wishes..J
    >
    >"philo" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >>> Hi all, i just bought a ide to usb connection cable that should allow
    >>> me to connect any3.5 hd to my laptop, tried it last night and i got
    >>> the drive showing in device manager but it would not show up in my
    >>> computer im using win 2000 pro.
    >>>
    >>> any advice appreciated
    >>>

    >> if the drive is also new...
    >> using disk management
    >> you need to partition and format the drive

    also i tried it on a win 2k server and exactly the same happened
    recognised the drive bur does not place a icon for it, i just tested
    both pcs with a usb flach pen and its works perfectly

    steve

    , May 3, 2005
  10. Try installing as new 3.5. As the 3.5 floppy will have been setup in favour
    of the last OS it was last used on. If not check 3.5 compatibility for the
    win 2000 pro.

    Jurgen Klingemann, May 3, 2005
  11. Demmpa Guest

    wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 May 2005 13:15:43 GMT, "old jon"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>As philo asked, has the drive been partitioned and formatted ?. People try
    >>to help resolve each others problems, but do need as much info as possible
    >>so they can help. best wishes..J
    >>
    >>"philo" <> wrote in message

    >>>if the drive is also new...
    >>>using disk management
    >>>you need to partition and format the drive

    > also i tried it on a win 2k server and exactly the same happened
    > recognised the drive bur does not place a icon for it, i just tested
    > both pcs with a usb flach pen and its works perfectly
    >
    > steve

    Are the hdd strapt to Master, Slave or Cabel Select?
    it should be Master.

    --
    /
    Demmpa

    Demmpa, May 3, 2005
  12. old jon Guest

    Just had a thought N, go into disk management, check the drive properties,
    and make sure it`s been assigned a drive letter, if not, give it one (as the
    bishop said...), M or N etc. best wishes..J

    old jon, May 3, 2005