    regards

    Thing

    , May 15, 2009

  2. On Thu, 14 May 2009 18:34:57 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have come into possession of a large number of IDE drives....so I'd
    >like to use them on a sata motherboard specifically the ICH9R chipset
    >but probably as JBOD so I can backup to disk....can anybody recommend
    >converters that work? I had one given to me but it never worked....
    >
    >:/
    >
    >The ones I can see on trademe are,
    >
    >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Hard-drives/Other/auction-218260253.htm
    >
    >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Other/auction-217796402.htm
    >
    >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Other/auction-218183184.htm
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    I have used two different ones, one from Jaycar and one I bought
    through Ascent, and they both worked fine. Of course, they were
    retail price and rather more expensive than those on Trademe now. But
    there should be no reason why the Trademe ones would not work well. I
    have only used mine to put IDE drives on SATA ports, but most of them
    are advertised to work the other way around as well. My motherboard
    uses IHC9R also.

    Make sure you get one that includes the cables if you need them -
    buying them separately would cost as much as those converters do.

    Some have Molex power sockets (IDE) on the converter, and some have
    SATA power sockets. Choose which you prefer. You still need to
    provide power to the drive, as well as the converter, so you need more
    power connectors from your PC power supply. It is easy to get Y
    cables for Molex power plugs to add an extra plug, but I have not seen
    the same for SATA, although I presume it will exist somewhere.

    Stephen Worthington, May 15, 2009

  3. Guest

    On May 15, 2:59 pm, Stephen Worthington
    <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 May 2009 18:34:57 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
    > >Hi,

    > >I have come into possession of a large number of IDE drives....so I'd
    > >like to use them on a sata motherboard specifically the ICH9R chipset
    > >but probably as JBOD so I can backup to disk....can anybody recommend
    > >converters that work? I had one given to me but it never worked....

    > >:/

    > >The ones I can see on trademe are,

    > >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Hard-drives/Other/aucti...

    > >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Other/auction-217796402.htm

    > >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Other/auction-218183184...

    > >regards

    > >Thing

    > I have used two different ones, one from Jaycar and one I bought
    > through Ascent, and they both worked fine.  Of course, they were
    > retail price and rather more expensive than those on Trademe now.  But
    > there should be no reason why the Trademe ones would not work well.  I
    > have only used mine to put IDE drives on SATA ports, but most of them
    > are advertised to work the other way around as well.  My motherboard
    > uses IHC9R also.
    >
    > Make sure you get one that includes the cables if you need them -
    > buying them separately would cost as much as those converters do.
    >
    > Some have Molex power sockets (IDE) on the converter, and some have
    > SATA power sockets.  Choose which you prefer.  You still need to
    > provide power to the drive, as well as the converter, so you need more
    > power connectors from your PC power supply.  It is easy to get Y
    > cables for Molex power plugs to add an extra plug, but I have not seen
    > the same for SATA, although I presume it will exist somewhere.

    Did you have an issue with speed selection? ie these all look to be
    sata 1 and not 2 Im wondering if the one I had just didnt neg properly
    with the motherboard but if your ich9r worked, well I should be
    OK......speed itself not an issue as I just want disk to backup to, so
    whether its 40 mins or 60mins overnight, well I dont care.

    Power connections are not an issue.....

    regards

    Thing

    , May 16, 2009
  4. On Fri, 15 May 2009 16:12:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    >On May 15, 2:59 pm, Stephen Worthington
    ><34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 14 May 2009 18:34:57 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
    >> >Hi,

    >> >I have come into possession of a large number of IDE drives....so I'd
    >> >like to use them on a sata motherboard specifically the ICH9R chipset
    >> >but probably as JBOD so I can backup to disk....can anybody recommend
    >> >converters that work? I had one given to me but it never worked....

    >> >:/

    >> >The ones I can see on trademe are,

    >> >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Hard-drives/Other/aucti...

    >> >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Other/auction-217796402.htm

    >> >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Other/auction-218183184...

    >> >regards

    >> >Thing

    >> I have used two different ones, one from Jaycar and one I bought
    >> through Ascent, and they both worked fine.  Of course, they were
    >> retail price and rather more expensive than those on Trademe now.  But
    >> there should be no reason why the Trademe ones would not work well.  I
    >> have only used mine to put IDE drives on SATA ports, but most of them
    >> are advertised to work the other way around as well.  My motherboard
    >> uses IHC9R also.
    >>
    >> Make sure you get one that includes the cables if you need them -
    >> buying them separately would cost as much as those converters do.
    >>
    >> Some have Molex power sockets (IDE) on the converter, and some have
    >> SATA power sockets.  Choose which you prefer.  You still need to
    >> provide power to the drive, as well as the converter, so you need more
    >> power connectors from your PC power supply.  It is easy to get Y
    >> cables for Molex power plugs to add an extra plug, but I have not seen
    >> the same for SATA, although I presume it will exist somewhere.

    >Did you have an issue with speed selection? ie these all look to be
    >sata 1 and not 2 Im wondering if the one I had just didnt neg properly
    >with the motherboard but if your ich9r worked, well I should be
    >OK......speed itself not an issue as I just want disk to backup to, so
    >whether its 40 mins or 60mins overnight, well I dont care.
    >
    >Power connections are not an issue.....
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    They are all SATA 1 as far as I can tell. IDE drives do not work
    faster than SATA 1, so it is not a problem.

    Stephen Worthington, May 16, 2009