    have said they are much better set to ahci.

    As always any help is appreciated.

    Drew.
    Drew, Dec 30, 2011

  2. Drew

    Carlos Guest

    Drew,
    Changing to AHCI is quite straightforward, you can even do it to your
    current drive right now.

    1. Open Registry Editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM
    \CurrentControlSet\services\msahci.
    2. Right click on the Start registry DWORD and select Modify.Set the
    value to 0 and click OK.
    3. Now the Start setting should be set to 0.
    4. Reboot and enable the AHCI setting in your BIOS.
    Once you are back in Windows it will surely ask for a new reboot.

    AHCI performance is not the important part, it is the new features
    what matter (NCQ, etc.).
    As for the 7.2 rating I have observed that as typical of SATA II
    interfaces.
    SATA III tend to yield 7.9.
    In order to get max performance you will need SATA III both on your
    motherboard and your SSD.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 30, 2011

  3. This will enable the Microsoft AHCI driver. You will get best
    performance with the up-to-date AHCI driver for your motherboard
    chipset. If your chipset is new and not supported by the Microsoft
    driver you must install the relevant AHCI driver before enabling AHCI in
    your BIOS.

    You can clone your existing Windows installation to the new SSD. Note
    that you must disconnect the existing Windows installation before
    rebooting with the cloned installation. If Windows sees two
    installations it will decide for itself, without asking, which it will
    boot from and will disable booting from the other.

    There are several free, and trial versions of paid-for, programs which
    can clone a Windows installation.

    Dominic Payer, Dec 30, 2011
  4. Drew

    Drew Guest

    On 12/30/2011 8:51 AM, Carlos wrote:
    > Drew,
    > Changing to AHCI is quite straightforward, you can even do it to your
    > current drive right now.
    >
    > 1. Open Registry Editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM
    > \CurrentControlSet\services\msahci.
    > 2. Right click on the Start registry DWORD and select Modify.Set the
    > value to 0 and click OK.
    > 3. Now the Start setting should be set to 0.
    > 4. Reboot and enable the AHCI setting in your BIOS.
    > Once you are back in Windows it will surely ask for a new reboot.
    >
    > AHCI performance is not the important part, it is the new features
    > what matter (NCQ, etc.).
    > As for the 7.2 rating I have observed that as typical of SATA II
    > interfaces.
    > SATA III tend to yield 7.9.
    > In order to get max performance you will need SATA III both on your
    > motherboard and your SSD.
    > Carlos
    >
    > On 29 dic, 21:27, Drew<> wrote:
    >> Well whaddya know a question for the gang!! I am currently running win7
    >> pro 64 on a small (40gig) ssd that was somehow set to ide on install. I
    >> am going to upgrade this ssd to a 120gig ssd and then hang on to the
    >> current 40gig for storage. Is there a way to purchase a new ssd,connect
    >> it and set it to ahci then transfer windows to it? Or will this hose
    >> windows?
    >>
    >> First off win7 is taking all of the 40gig drive hence the reason for the
    >> upgrade. Actual use is 37.19 total capacity and only 4.48 gigs clear.
    >> Still not sure why it takes so much room when only the op system is
    >> installed on this drive.
    >>
    >> Currently my ssd scores a 7.2 on the W.E.I. as a ide drive. I know some
    >> have said they are much better set to ahci.
    >>
    >> As always any help is appreciated.
    >>
    >> Drew.

    Alas it is older Intel D975XBX2 board. I believe it has sata,esata and
    sata for a raid setup but not sata 2 or 3
    Drew, Dec 30, 2011
  5. Drew

    PaulM Guest

    I have a script for that, you can download it here:

    http://www.paulsxp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2372&sid=2e61ba720c2cdaecd5e607205a0d9aa7

    Paul's XP and Vista Tweaks
    www.paulsxp.com
    Paul's Forum
    www.paulsxp.com/forum

    PaulM, Dec 30, 2011
  6. Drew

    Drew Guest

    On 12/30/2011 10:03 AM, Dominic Payer wrote:
    > This will enable the Microsoft AHCI driver. You will get best
    > performance with the up-to-date AHCI driver for your motherboard
    > chipset. If your chipset is new and not supported by the Microsoft
    > driver you must install the relevant AHCI driver before enabling AHCI in
    > your BIOS.
    >
    > You can clone your existing Windows installation to the new SSD. Note
    > that you must disconnect the existing Windows installation before
    > rebooting with the cloned installation. If Windows sees two
    > installations it will decide for itself, without asking, which it will
    > boot from and will disable booting from the other.
    >
    > There are several free, and trial versions of paid-for, programs which
    > can clone a Windows installation.
    >

    > On 30/12/2011 16:51, Carlos wrote:
    >> Drew,
    >> Changing to AHCI is quite straightforward, you can even do it to your
    >> current drive right now.
    >>
    >> 1. Open Registry Editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM
    >> \CurrentControlSet\services\msahci.
    >> 2. Right click on the Start registry DWORD and select Modify.Set the
    >> value to 0 and click OK.
    >> 3. Now the Start setting should be set to 0.
    >> 4. Reboot and enable the AHCI setting in your BIOS.
    >> Once you are back in Windows it will surely ask for a new reboot.
    >>
    >> AHCI performance is not the important part, it is the new features
    >> what matter (NCQ, etc.).
    >> As for the 7.2 rating I have observed that as typical of SATA II
    >> interfaces.
    >> SATA III tend to yield 7.9.
    >> In order to get max performance you will need SATA III both on your
    >> motherboard and your SSD.
    >> Carlos

    Dominic. As I just posted back to Carlos it is a older Intel D975XBX2
    board. I do not think the chipset is the latest but may double check it.
    Drew, Dec 30, 2011
  7. Drew

    Carlos Guest

    Drew,
    If your chipset is that old, it will make no difference in performance
    between IDE and AHCI modes.
    Just clone our 40GB to your new drive and you are good to go.
    How long does it take to boot since you hear the BIOS beep sound?
    30 seconds?
    That's the best I can get from AHCI + SATA III.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 31, 2011
  8. Drew

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message
    <>
    someone claiming to be Carlos <> typed:

    >Drew,
    >If your chipset is that old, it will make no difference in performance
    >between IDE and AHCI modes.

    There might not be a performance difference during day to day access
    now, but TRIM requires AHCI mode, and since he's using a SSD, TRIM is
    probably important.

    It obviously depends on the particular drive as to how important TRIM
    is, with some SSDs relying on TRIM exclusively, some using garbage
    collection exclusively and most of the rest using some combination of
    both.

    Still, given the relative lack of pain, there's no reason to not enable
    AHCI.
    Dave Warren, Dec 31, 2011
  9. Dominic Payer, Dec 31, 2011
  10. Drew

    Drew Guest

    On 12/30/2011 7:09 PM, Dave Warren wrote:
    > In message
    > <>
    > someone claiming to be Carlos<> typed:
    >
    >> Drew,
    >> If your chipset is that old, it will make no difference in performance
    >> between IDE and AHCI modes.

    > There might not be a performance difference during day to day access
    > now, but TRIM requires AHCI mode, and since he's using a SSD, TRIM is
    > probably important.
    >
    > It obviously depends on the particular drive as to how important TRIM
    > is, with some SSDs relying on TRIM exclusively, some using garbage
    > collection exclusively and most of the rest using some combination of
    > both.
    >
    > Still, given the relative lack of pain, there's no reason to not enable
    > AHCI.

    Actually the trim function works perfectly however I cannot update the
    firmware easily for it in ide mode.
    Drew, Dec 31, 2011
  11. Drew

    Drew Guest

    On 12/30/2011 7:09 PM, Dave Warren wrote:
    > In message
    > <>
    > someone claiming to be Carlos<> typed:
    >
    >> Drew,
    >> If your chipset is that old, it will make no difference in performance
    >> between IDE and AHCI modes.

    > There might not be a performance difference during day to day access
    > now, but TRIM requires AHCI mode, and since he's using a SSD, TRIM is
    > probably important.
    >
    > It obviously depends on the particular drive as to how important TRIM
    > is, with some SSDs relying on TRIM exclusively, some using garbage
    > collection exclusively and most of the rest using some combination of
    > both.
    >
    > Still, given the relative lack of pain, there's no reason to not enable
    > AHCI.

    Dave This particular board D975XBX2KR has the latest chipset drivers
    available as well as other latest drivers. The ssd is a Intel X25-V and
    the trim function does work well the only problem I have noticed is when
    it is set to ide you cannot update the firmware as easy as if it were ahci.
    Drew, Dec 31, 2011
  12. Drew

    Carlos Guest

    Drew,
    Can you do it in DOS mode?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 31, 2011
  13. Drew

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <jdn4p6$1u3$> someone claiming to be Drew
    <> typed:

    >On 12/30/2011 7:09 PM, Dave Warren wrote:
    >> In message
    >> <>
    >> someone claiming to be Carlos<> typed:
    >>
    >>> Drew,
    >>> If your chipset is that old, it will make no difference in performance
    >>> between IDE and AHCI modes.

    >> There might not be a performance difference during day to day access
    >> now, but TRIM requires AHCI mode, and since he's using a SSD, TRIM is
    >> probably important.
    >>
    >> It obviously depends on the particular drive as to how important TRIM
    >> is, with some SSDs relying on TRIM exclusively, some using garbage
    >> collection exclusively and most of the rest using some combination of
    >> both.
    >>
    >> Still, given the relative lack of pain, there's no reason to not enable
    >> AHCI.

    >Actually the trim function works perfectly however I cannot update the
    >firmware easily for it in ide mode.

    TRIM requires AHCI, at least as far as I can tell. Can you provide a
    cite as to how you'd enable TRIM without AHCI under Windows?

    You might be seeing drive firmware based garbage collection in IDE mode,
    and that's fair, but that's not TRIM.
    Dave Warren, Jan 1, 2012
  14. Drew

    BullDawg Guest

    From

    http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/ide-sata-and-ahci-all-you-need-to-know

    SSDs and the TRIM command
    The TRIM command is dependent on the SSD itself, and the operating system
    supporting it. It is not dependent on the host controller, and AHCI is not a
    requirement. TRIM is natively supported in Windows 7, as well as Linux since
    kernel 2.6.33.

    Check these out also:

    http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?63521-TRIM-in-W7-AHCI

    This link contains the info below it:

    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...k=view&id=505&Itemid=38&limit=1&limitstart=12

    But what about SSD TRIM?
    TRIM is non-specific to either SATA controller mode, and will work equally
    well in both IDE and AHCI-mode. Benchmark Reviews will soon publish a
    detailed report that illustrates the recovery levels for each SSD controller
    tested here.

    http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=540481

    --
    ______________

    BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    ______________

    BullDawg, Jan 1, 2012
  15. Drew

    Drew Guest

    On 12/31/2011 5:58 PM, Dave Warren wrote:
    > In message<jdn4p6$1u3$> someone claiming to be Drew
    > <> typed:
    >
    >> On 12/30/2011 7:09 PM, Dave Warren wrote:
    >>> In message
    >>> <>
    >>> someone claiming to be Carlos<> typed:

    >>> There might not be a performance difference during day to day access
    >>> now, but TRIM requires AHCI mode, and since he's using a SSD, TRIM is
    >>> probably important.
    >>>
    >>> It obviously depends on the particular drive as to how important TRIM
    >>> is, with some SSDs relying on TRIM exclusively, some using garbage
    >>> collection exclusively and most of the rest using some combination of
    >>> both.
    >>>
    >>> Still, given the relative lack of pain, there's no reason to not enable
    >>> AHCI.

    >> Actually the trim function works perfectly however I cannot update the
    >> firmware easily for it in ide mode.

    > TRIM requires AHCI, at least as far as I can tell. Can you provide a
    > cite as to how you'd enable TRIM without AHCI under Windows?
    >
    > You might be seeing drive firmware based garbage collection in IDE mode,
    > and that's fair, but that's not TRIM.

    Using the built in Intel toolbox software downloaded from Intel and the
    fact that it is a intel drive. As well as seeing the difference after
    running the trim function tells me that it does indeed work. For the
    longest time I assumed it was set to ahci then I went to upgrade the
    firmware and that is when the Intel toolbox informed me that it was
    indeed set to ide.
    Drew, Jan 1, 2012
  16. Drew

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <jdpoaq$3jc$> someone claiming to be Drew
    <> typed:

    >On 12/31/2011 5:58 PM, Dave Warren wrote:
    >> In message<jdn4p6$1u3$> someone claiming to be Drew
    >> <> typed:

    >>> Actually the trim function works perfectly however I cannot update the
    >>> firmware easily for it in ide mode.

    >> TRIM requires AHCI, at least as far as I can tell. Can you provide a
    >> cite as to how you'd enable TRIM without AHCI under Windows?
    >>
    >> You might be seeing drive firmware based garbage collection in IDE mode,
    >> and that's fair, but that's not TRIM.

    >Using the built in Intel toolbox software downloaded from Intel and the
    >fact that it is a intel drive. As well as seeing the difference after
    >running the trim function tells me that it does indeed work. For the
    >longest time I assumed it was set to ahci then I went to upgrade the
    >firmware and that is when the Intel toolbox informed me that it was
    >indeed set to ide.

    I've been doing a bit of reading and it definitely looks like IDLE is
    available in IDE mode.

    However, from what I can tell, Windows doesn't issue it unless you're in
    AHCI mode. But that might be wrong, I can't find anyone who can really
    say for certain either way. In practice, garbage collection on modern
    drives does a reasonably good job (and in fact, a better job than a
    poorly written IDLE implementation, although most drives support lazy
    handling of IDLE commands which negates the potential performance
    impact)
    Dave Warren, Jan 2, 2012
  17. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Paul. I would not say I am stupid when it comes to computers but since I
    have never actually run a script like this before what do I need to do
    exactly? Will it enable in the bios or will I have to enter the bios and
    make changes? Do I download and save or just simply run it and when it
    is done and ahci is enabled do I need to do anything at that point? I do
    not totally understand it. Wait,now I do feel stupid..

    Drew, Jan 7, 2012
  18. Drew

    PaulM Guest

    Download the script, run it, restart and enter Bios and enable AHCI mode.
    Reboot and you may be asked to reboot again.
    The script will explain everything when to run it.

    Paul's XP, Vista and Windows 7 Tweaks
    www.paulsxp.com
    Paul's Forum
    www.paulsxp.com/forum

    PaulM, Jan 8, 2012
  19. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Thanks Paul. As to my original post I really do not want to buy another
    hard drive but I just do not have any room on this one. I run 2 160 gig
    drives for other programs and games and the main purpose for this
    computer is games as I have another for serious work. I am a little
    shocked as to why windows is taking 37 gigs when the only thing on this
    40 gig ssd is win7 sp1.The other reason for worry is this machine is a
    home built 5 year old that scores 7.1 out of the gate.I hate to take a
    chance on messing up that kind of dependability as it has never crashed
    never bogged down never anything but rock solid and very fast.I find it
    kind of funny that the main reason for the 7.1 is my quad core 6600 has
    the lowest score.I have searched trying to find how much room it should
    take and I have not had much luck.

    Drew, Jan 8, 2012
  20. Drew

    PaulM Guest

    I run an ssd and Windows 7 64 bit sp1 takes up 35gb.

    PaulM, Jan 8, 2012