Ide to ahci or vice versa

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Drew, Feb 19, 2012.

  1. Drew

    Drew Guest

    A while back I posted a question about changing from ide to ahci on my
    computer. I am running a 40 gig Intel ssd that was in ide mode. One of
    the other poster's (Paul)gave me or posted a easy way to change to ahci
    with a script from his website. I finally got around to doing that
    yesterday and it seriously dropped my WEI from 7.2 to 5.9. The question
    would be why it would do that? I may have made a error in assuming that
    it would have stayed the same or improved it.My main reason was to make
    it easier for the Intel toolbox to be able to update the firmware and
    schedule the trim function.The next question is I just ordered a new
    Intel 320 series 120 gig ssd to replace my current Intel X25 40 gig ssd
    as it is down to 3 gigs free with only windows in the drive. Will that
    make the WEI bounce back or will it stay the same? Should I switch back
    to IDE?

    Running Win 7 pro fully updated
    Intel D975XBX2 motherboard
    8 gigs ram
    40 gig ssd
    2 160 gig Seagate Barracuda's.
     
    Drew, Feb 19, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Have you installed the AHCI (Intel RST) driver for your motherboard
    chipset from http://downloadcenter.intel.com/?

    If you just changed the access mode to AHCI you will be using the basic
    Microsoft AHCI driver.


    On 19/02/2012 12:54, Drew wrote:
    > A while back I posted a question about changing from ide to ahci on my
    > computer. I am running a 40 gig Intel ssd that was in ide mode. One of
    > the other poster's (Paul)gave me or posted a easy way to change to ahci
    > with a script from his website. I finally got around to doing that
    > yesterday and it seriously dropped my WEI from 7.2 to 5.9. The question
    > would be why it would do that? I may have made a error in assuming that
    > it would have stayed the same or improved it.My main reason was to make
    > it easier for the Intel toolbox to be able to update the firmware and
    > schedule the trim function.The next question is I just ordered a new
    > Intel 320 series 120 gig ssd to replace my current Intel X25 40 gig ssd
    > as it is down to 3 gigs free with only windows in the drive. Will that
    > make the WEI bounce back or will it stay the same? Should I switch back
    > to IDE?
    >
    > Running Win 7 pro fully updated
    > Intel D975XBX2 motherboard
    > 8 gigs ram
    > 40 gig ssd
    > 2 160 gig Seagate Barracuda's.
    >
     
    Dominic Payer, Feb 20, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. which is fairly sucky, actually.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://blogs.msmvps.com/russel


    "Dominic Payer" <> wrote in message
    news:jht0qg$ema$...
    > Have you installed the AHCI (Intel RST) driver for your motherboard
    > chipset from http://downloadcenter.intel.com/?
    >
    > If you just changed the access mode to AHCI you will be using the basic
    > Microsoft AHCI driver.
    >
    >
    > On 19/02/2012 12:54, Drew wrote:
    >> A while back I posted a question about changing from ide to ahci on my
    >> computer. I am running a 40 gig Intel ssd that was in ide mode. One of
    >> the other poster's (Paul)gave me or posted a easy way to change to ahci
    >> with a script from his website. I finally got around to doing that
    >> yesterday and it seriously dropped my WEI from 7.2 to 5.9. The question
    >> would be why it would do that? I may have made a error in assuming that
    >> it would have stayed the same or improved it.My main reason was to make
    >> it easier for the Intel toolbox to be able to update the firmware and
    >> schedule the trim function.The next question is I just ordered a new
    >> Intel 320 series 120 gig ssd to replace my current Intel X25 40 gig ssd
    >> as it is down to 3 gigs free with only windows in the drive. Will that
    >> make the WEI bounce back or will it stay the same? Should I switch back
    >> to IDE?
    >>
    >> Running Win 7 pro fully updated
    >> Intel D975XBX2 motherboard
    >> 8 gigs ram
    >> 40 gig ssd
    >> 2 160 gig Seagate Barracuda's.
    >>
     
    Charlie Russel-MVP, Feb 20, 2012
    #3
  4. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Not as of yet as I have been slammed at work. Another question would be
    could I simply change it back to ide in the Bios without trashing the
    system? I do not or have not noticed any performance difference with it
    on ahci except it seems to boot even slower.



    On 2/20/2012 12:38 AM, Dominic Payer wrote:
    > Have you installed the AHCI (Intel RST) driver for your motherboard
    > chipset from http://downloadcenter.intel.com/?
    >
    > If you just changed the access mode to AHCI you will be using the basic
    > Microsoft AHCI driver.
    >
    >
    > On 19/02/2012 12:54, Drew wrote:
    >> A while back I posted a question about changing from ide to ahci on my
    >> computer. I am running a 40 gig Intel ssd that was in ide mode. One of
    >> the other poster's (Paul)gave me or posted a easy way to change to ahci
    >> with a script from his website. I finally got around to doing that
    >> yesterday and it seriously dropped my WEI from 7.2 to 5.9. The question
    >> would be why it would do that? I may have made a error in assuming that
    >> it would have stayed the same or improved it.My main reason was to make
    >> it easier for the Intel toolbox to be able to update the firmware and
    >> schedule the trim function.The next question is I just ordered a new
    >> Intel 320 series 120 gig ssd to replace my current Intel X25 40 gig ssd
    >> as it is down to 3 gigs free with only windows in the drive. Will that
    >> make the WEI bounce back or will it stay the same? Should I switch back
    >> to IDE?
    >>
    >> Running Win 7 pro fully updated
    >> Intel D975XBX2 motherboard
    >> 8 gigs ram
    >> 40 gig ssd
    >> 2 160 gig Seagate Barracuda's.
    >>
     
    Drew, Feb 24, 2012
    #4
  5. If you do not install the correct chipset driver performance will be
    poor. The Microsoft AHCI driver is intended only to let an initial AHCI
    install occur.

    You can just change back to Legacy IDE in your BIOS. The required
    drivers are still installed.

    The best option is to download and install the RST drivers from
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/. It is only an 11MB download.



    On 24/02/2012 04:19, Drew wrote:
    > Not as of yet as I have been slammed at work. Another question would be
    > could I simply change it back to ide in the Bios without trashing the
    > system? I do not or have not noticed any performance difference with it
    > on ahci except it seems to boot even slower.
    >
     
    Dominic Payer, Feb 24, 2012
    #5
  6. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Domenic. according to device manager I am running the latest
    drivers..Unless you see something I do not. Remember it is a Intel
    legacy board D975XBX2. Kind of irritating that it seems slower booting.
    Especially when Ahci is supposed to be a little quicker. Should I
    uninstall current driver first via device manager then try to install again?

    On 2/24/2012 1:20 AM, Dominic Payer wrote:
    > If you do not install the correct chipset driver performance will be
    > poor. The Microsoft AHCI driver is intended only to let an initial AHCI
    > install occur.
    >
    > You can just change back to Legacy IDE in your BIOS. The required
    > drivers are still installed.
    >
    > The best option is to download and install the RST drivers from
    > http://downloadcenter.intel.com/. It is only an 11MB download.
    >
    >
    >
    > On 24/02/2012 04:19, Drew wrote:
    >> Not as of yet as I have been slammed at work. Another question would be
    >> could I simply change it back to ide in the Bios without trashing the
    >> system? I do not or have not noticed any performance difference with it
    >> on ahci except it seems to boot even slower.
    >>
     
    Drew, Feb 25, 2012
    #6
  7. The Intel RST driver is not offered through Windows Update. You need to
    know it may help and search for it.

    Search on D975XBX2 at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/ and you will find
    the latest official downloads for your board. There are newer versions
    if you search on RST and 975x for the chipset.



    On 25/02/2012 01:22, Drew wrote:
    > Domenic. according to device manager I am running the latest
    > drivers..Unless you see something I do not. Remember it is a Intel
    > legacy board D975XBX2. Kind of irritating that it seems slower booting.
    > Especially when Ahci is supposed to be a little quicker. Should I
    > uninstall current driver first via device manager then try to install
    > again?
     
    Dominic Payer, Feb 25, 2012
    #7
  8. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Domenic. First off I never use Microsoft for hardware updates as I
    learned better years ago. However when I do download these drivers It
    supposedly installs but when I look afterwards it is still showing the
    original Microsoft driver from 2006 as the main. How can I change this?



    On 2/25/2012 12:49 AM, Dominic Payer wrote:
    > The Intel RST driver is not offered through Windows Update. You need to
    > know it may help and search for it.
    >
    > Search on D975XBX2 at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/ and you will find
    > the latest official downloads for your board. There are newer versions
    > if you search on RST and 975x for the chipset.
    >
    >
    >
    > On 25/02/2012 01:22, Drew wrote:
    >> Domenic. according to device manager I am running the latest
    >> drivers..Unless you see something I do not. Remember it is a Intel
    >> legacy board D975XBX2. Kind of irritating that it seems slower booting.
    >> Especially when Ahci is supposed to be a little quicker. Should I
    >> uninstall current driver first via device manager then try to install
    >> again?
     
    Drew, Feb 25, 2012
    #8
  9. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Ok I got it showing the most recent Intel driver yet I still get the 5.9
    in WEI and it is still showing a little slower. I am going to download
    the marvell driver and see if it will change..




    On 2/25/2012 5:50 AM, Drew wrote:
    > Domenic. First off I never use Microsoft for hardware updates as I
    > learned better years ago. However when I do download these drivers It
    > supposedly installs but when I look afterwards it is still showing the
    > original Microsoft driver from 2006 as the main. How can I change this?
    >
    >
    >
    > On 2/25/2012 12:49 AM, Dominic Payer wrote:
    >> The Intel RST driver is not offered through Windows Update. You need to
    >> know it may help and search for it.
    >>
    >> Search on D975XBX2 at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/ and you will find
    >> the latest official downloads for your board. There are newer versions
    >> if you search on RST and 975x for the chipset.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> On 25/02/2012 01:22, Drew wrote:
    >>> Domenic. according to device manager I am running the latest
    >>> drivers..Unless you see something I do not. Remember it is a Intel
    >>> legacy board D975XBX2. Kind of irritating that it seems slower booting.
    >>> Especially when Ahci is supposed to be a little quicker. Should I
    >>> uninstall current driver first via device manager then try to install
    >>> again?

    >
     
    Drew, Feb 25, 2012
    #9
  10. Drew

    Drew Guest

    So here we go..After trying to figure out how to get it to use the last
    Intel driver for the storage controllers of which I have two different
    on this board. One is Intel and the other is Marvel.It still shows as a
    5.9 so just for the heck of it I tried swapping back to IDE and lo and
    behold it still shows a 5.9 when it always showed a 7.2 before





    On 2/25/2012 6:32 AM, Drew wrote:
    > Ok I got it showing the most recent Intel driver yet I still get the 5.9
    > in WEI and it is still showing a little slower. I am going to download
    > the marvell driver and see if it will change..
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > On 2/25/2012 5:50 AM, Drew wrote:
    >> Domenic. First off I never use Microsoft for hardware updates as I
    >> learned better years ago. However when I do download these drivers It
    >> supposedly installs but when I look afterwards it is still showing the
    >> original Microsoft driver from 2006 as the main. How can I change this?
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> On 2/25/2012 12:49 AM, Dominic Payer wrote:
    >>> The Intel RST driver is not offered through Windows Update. You need to
    >>> know it may help and search for it.
    >>>
    >>> Search on D975XBX2 at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/ and you will find
    >>> the latest official downloads for your board. There are newer versions
    >>> if you search on RST and 975x for the chipset.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> On 25/02/2012 01:22, Drew wrote:
    >>>> Domenic. according to device manager I am running the latest
    >>>> drivers..Unless you see something I do not. Remember it is a Intel
    >>>> legacy board D975XBX2. Kind of irritating that it seems slower booting.
    >>>> Especially when Ahci is supposed to be a little quicker. Should I
    >>>> uninstall current driver first via device manager then try to install
    >>>> again?

    >>

    >
     
    Drew, Feb 25, 2012
    #10
  11. Drew

    blero_ Guest

    > So here we go..After trying to figure out how to get it to use the last Intel
    > driver for the storage controllers of which I have two different on this
    > board. One is Intel and the other is Marvel.It still shows as a 5.9 so just
    > for the heck of it I tried swapping back to IDE and lo and behold it still
    > shows a 5.9 when it always showed a 7.2 before


    Your motherboard uses Intel® 82801GR/GH I/O controller hub (ICH7R/DH).

    So the AHCI drivers you need to install are here:
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&changeLang=true&DwnldId=20624

    After installation, the AHCI driver in the Device Manager should show
    10.8.0.1003.
     
    blero_, Feb 25, 2012
    #11
  12. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Ok something go screwy here..Finally got around to installing my new
    120gig ssd from Intel. Then I cloned my c: drive and copied to the new
    (k:) drive. when I went into the bios and changed the boot order should
    I not be able to boot to it? When I tried I had a black screen. Had the
    windows log on sound but no screen. Any ideas? Oh yeah got the intel
    drivers for my controller installed but still showing a 5.9. not sure why.



    On 2/25/2012 9:33 AM, blero_ wrote:
    >> So here we go..After trying to figure out how to get it to use the
    >> last Intel driver for the storage controllers of which I have two
    >> different on this board. One is Intel and the other is Marvel.It still
    >> shows as a 5.9 so just for the heck of it I tried swapping back to IDE
    >> and lo and behold it still shows a 5.9 when it always showed a 7.2 before

    >
    > Your motherboard uses Intel® 82801GR/GH I/O controller hub (ICH7R/DH).
    >
    > So the AHCI drivers you need to install are here:
    > http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&changeLang=true&DwnldId=20624
    >
    >
    > After installation, the AHCI driver in the Device Manager should show
    > 10.8.0.1003.
    >
    >
     
    Drew, Feb 25, 2012
    #12
  13. Drew

    blero_ Guest

    > Ok something go screwy here..Finally got around to installing my new 120gig
    > ssd from Intel. Then I cloned my c: drive and copied to the new (k:) drive.


    How did you do it ?
    You can't just copy the system disk, you have to use cloning software
    for Windows 7, such as XXCLONE (there is a free version):
    http://www.xxclone.com

    > Oh yeah got the intel drivers for my controller
    > installed but still showing a 5.9. not sure why.


    Do you have "AHCI" selected in the BIOS, and a controller named
    "Intel(R) ICH7R SATA AHCI Controller" or something like that, in the
    Device Manager ?
    If yes, what version of this controller driver can you read in the
    "Driver" tab of its Properties ?
    It should be 10.8.0.1003, now that you've installed the last one.
     
    blero_, Feb 25, 2012
    #13
  14. Drew

    Drew Guest

    First off I was using Intel migration software powered by Acronis for
    the cloning. Secondly I do have the latest drivers listed showing
    exactly what you have written and yet still showing the same 5.9 on the
    WEI however 7.2 on IDE


    On 2/25/2012 1:38 PM, blero_ wrote:
    >> Ok something go screwy here..Finally got around to installing my new
    >> 120gig ssd from Intel. Then I cloned my c: drive and copied to the new
    >> (k:) drive.

    >
    > How did you do it ?
    > You can't just copy the system disk, you have to use cloning software
    > for Windows 7, such as XXCLONE (there is a free version):
    > http://www.xxclone.com
    >
    >> Oh yeah got the intel drivers for my controller installed but still
    >> showing a 5.9. not sure why.

    >
    > Do you have "AHCI" selected in the BIOS, and a controller named
    > "Intel(R) ICH7R SATA AHCI Controller" or something like that, in the
    > Device Manager ?
    > If yes, what version of this controller driver can you read in the
    > "Driver" tab of its Properties ?
    > It should be 10.8.0.1003, now that you've installed the last one.
    >
    >
     
    Drew, Feb 25, 2012
    #14
  15. Immediately after cloning you must shut down the system and disconnect
    the source drive.

    If you boot with both original and cloned drives connected Windows will
    see two primary boot disks with identical signatures and decide for
    itself, without asking, which it will treat as the primary boot disk.
    The choice it makes is irrevocable.

    The original disk can be reconnected once the cloned disk has booted.


    On 25/02/2012 21:04, Drew wrote:
    > Ok something go screwy here..Finally got around to installing my new
    > 120gig ssd from Intel. Then I cloned my c: drive and copied to the new
    > (k:) drive. when I went into the bios and changed the boot order should
    > I not be able to boot to it? When I tried I had a black screen. Had the
    > windows log on sound but no screen. Any ideas? Oh yeah got the intel
    > drivers for my controller installed but still showing a 5.9. not sure why.
     
    Dominic Payer, Feb 26, 2012
    #15
  16. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Got it going this morning Dominic. Thanks as always for your help. I am
    curious though and I guess I could just try it as originally I
    downloaded a script from Paulsxp.com and ran it so I could swap from IDE
    to AHCI without hosing the system.I then rebooted and changed the bios
    settings to show ahci. Now since I reverted back to IDE when I cloned my
    drive (due to frustration over details) My question is now that I am
    running off the new ssd which is a exact clone then I should be able to
    swap back to ahci without any problems. Thoughts?




    On 2/26/2012 8:55 AM, Dominic Payer wrote:
    > Immediately after cloning you must shut down the system and disconnect
    > the source drive.
    >
    > If you boot with both original and cloned drives connected Windows will
    > see two primary boot disks with identical signatures and decide for
    > itself, without asking, which it will treat as the primary boot disk.
    > The choice it makes is irrevocable.
    >
    > The original disk can be reconnected once the cloned disk has booted.
    >
    >
    > On 25/02/2012 21:04, Drew wrote:
    >> Ok something go screwy here..Finally got around to installing my new
    >> 120gig ssd from Intel. Then I cloned my c: drive and copied to the new
    >> (k:) drive. when I went into the bios and changed the boot order should
    >> I not be able to boot to it? When I tried I had a black screen. Had the
    >> windows log on sound but no screen. Any ideas? Oh yeah got the intel
    >> drivers for my controller installed but still showing a 5.9. not sure
    >> why.
     
    Drew, Feb 26, 2012
    #16
  17. SATA drivers for both Legacy IDE and AHCI are installed so there should
    be no problem switching the BIOS SATA setting between IDE and AHCI. You
    may need a couple of reboots as the drives are redetected under the new
    setting.



    On 26/02/2012 17:16, Drew wrote:
    > Got it going this morning Dominic. Thanks as always for your help. I am
    > curious though and I guess I could just try it as originally I
    > downloaded a script from Paulsxp.com and ran it so I could swap from IDE
    > to AHCI without hosing the system.I then rebooted and changed the bios
    > settings to show ahci. Now since I reverted back to IDE when I cloned my
    > drive (due to frustration over details) My question is now that I am
    > running off the new ssd which is a exact clone then I should be able to
    > swap back to ahci without any problems. Thoughts?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > On 2/26/2012 8:55 AM, Dominic Payer wrote:
    >> Immediately after cloning you must shut down the system and disconnect
    >> the source drive.
    >>
    >> If you boot with both original and cloned drives connected Windows will
    >> see two primary boot disks with identical signatures and decide for
    >> itself, without asking, which it will treat as the primary boot disk.
    >> The choice it makes is irrevocable.
    >>
    >> The original disk can be reconnected once the cloned disk has booted.
    >>
    >>
    >> On 25/02/2012 21:04, Drew wrote:
    >>> Ok something go screwy here..Finally got around to installing my new
    >>> 120gig ssd from Intel. Then I cloned my c: drive and copied to the new
    >>> (k:) drive. when I went into the bios and changed the boot order should
    >>> I not be able to boot to it? When I tried I had a black screen. Had the
    >>> windows log on sound but no screen. Any ideas? Oh yeah got the intel
    >>> drivers for my controller installed but still showing a 5.9. not sure
    >>> why.

    >
     
    Dominic Payer, Feb 27, 2012
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Harry

    Why convert Word doc to PDF? Or vice versa

    Harry, Mar 8, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    539
    Wizard
    Mar 8, 2005
  2. DVD Verdict
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    432
    DVD Verdict
    May 11, 2004
  3. =?Utf-8?B?bnRhbmNyZXRv?=

    laptop can connect to desktop, but not vice versa

    =?Utf-8?B?bnRhbmNyZXRv?=, Jun 12, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    570
    =?Utf-8?B?bnRhbmNyZXRv?=
    Jun 12, 2006
  4. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    3,508
    =?Utf-8?B?R2lsZXMgV2VuZGVz?=
    Nov 1, 2006
  5. Theo Markettos

    Fax to email (and vice versa)

    Theo Markettos, Nov 3, 2006, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    882
    GeoZac
    Nov 23, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page