    at http://www.computervideogear.com/sata/serial-ata-ide-converter.htm)
    and just plug it in, or are things more complicated than that? Thanks

    , Apr 27, 2006

  2. badgolferman Guest

    , 4/27/2006, 12:49:36 PM,
    <> wrote:

    > I just bought a Dell which came with a SATA hard-drive. I want to put
    > my old IDE hard drive into it as a secondary drive, but the
    > connections don't match. Do I need to get a simple IDE-SATA converter
    > (like the one at
    > http://www.computervideogear.com/sata/serial-ata-ide-converter.htm)
    > and just plug it in, or are things more complicated than that? Thanks

    Our Dells also have an IDE controller port on the motherboard. Follow
    the cable from the optical drive and see where it goes.

    badgolferman, Apr 27, 2006

  3. Rod Speed Guest

    wrote:

    > I just bought a Dell which came with a SATA hard-drive.
    > I want to put my old IDE hard drive into it as a secondary
    > drive, but the connections don't match.

    Which Dell specifically ?

    > Do I need to get a simple IDE-SATA converter (like the one at
    > http://www.computervideogear.com/sata/serial-ata-ide-converter.htm)
    > and just plug it in, or are things more complicated than that?

    You should have an ATA/IDE connection, likely being used for
    an optical drive currently. You can connect the old hard drive
    to that, temporarily disconnecting the optical drive if necessary.

    Rod Speed, Apr 27, 2006
  4. mdp Guest

    wrote:
    > I just bought a Dell which came with a SATA hard-drive. I want to put
    > my old IDE hard drive into it as a secondary drive, but the
    > connections don't match. Do I need to get a simple IDE-SATA converter
    > (like the one at
    > http://www.computervideogear.com/sata/serial-ata-ide-converter.htm)
    > and just plug it in, or are things more complicated than that? Thanks

    I had the same situation as my recently purchased Dell had only the primary
    IDE connector soldered on the motherboard and both IDE connections were
    taken by the CDRW and DVD-RW. I found some adapters worked with my
    motherboard controllers, some did not. If you have a free PCI slot, you
    might be better off using a PCI ATA controller card. Gives you four more
    IDE connections. I ended up buying this PCI IDE controller card (it's
    cheaper than the adapter you cited).

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815124001

    mdp, Apr 27, 2006
  5. kony Guest

    On 27 Apr 2006 09:49:36 -0700,
    wrote:

    >I just bought a Dell which came with a SATA hard-drive. I want to put
    >my old IDE hard drive into it as a secondary drive, but the connections
    >don't match. Do I need to get a simple IDE-SATA converter (like the one
    >at http://www.computervideogear.com/sata/serial-ata-ide-converter.htm)
    >and just plug it in, or are things more complicated than that? Thanks

    If you have the typical small midtower Dell chassis you may
    find a second drive (if put vertically behind the first next
    to the bottom front of the case) won't be cooled well at all
    and it would be best not to store valuable data on it.

    An SATA adapter might work but measure the clearance above
    the drive (if as mentioned above, it's vertically oriented),
    or you could put it in a 5-1/4" bay if you have a bay
    bracket (adapter for the size difference) caddy, which
    should have some front intake holes/slots/etc or fan(s) to
    cool the drive.

    As others mentioned your optical drive probably uses ATA, if
    you only had one drive or can disconnect the second one, the
    drive could be put on same cable as the optical. Often Dell
    jumpers drives as cable select, if your HDD isnt' ancient
    you might try cable select with it as well.

    kony, Apr 28, 2006
  6. Arno Wagner Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage wrote:
    > I just bought a Dell which came with a SATA hard-drive. I want to put
    > my old IDE hard drive into it as a secondary drive, but the connections
    > don't match. Do I need to get a simple IDE-SATA converter (like the one
    > at http://www.computervideogear.com/sata/serial-ata-ide-converter.htm)
    > and just plug it in, or are things more complicated than that? Thanks

    You can do this, but they are unreliable. Better get an IDE controller.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Apr 28, 2006