IDE Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Brian G, Dec 7, 2003.

  1. Brian G

    Brian G Guest

    Hello to all,

    I wonder if someone could give me some information that may enable me to
    identify an intermittent fault that I have with three month old ATI
    motherboard (described below).

    I have checked the manufacturers site (www.ata.com) and Google without any
    success. (possibly can't see the wood for the trees syndrome :) )

    On occasions during "POST" start-up the following error message appears
    "locating IDE drives" and then the computer fails to detect the drives and
    freezes at this point (disk and CD-ROM drive indicator lights are flashing
    for about 15 seconds and then stop)

    If I shut down and reboot and try to enter the bios using the delete button,
    the computer ignores this command and carries on to the stage explained
    above as if nothing had happened.

    In an attempt to at least get to a stage where I can try to sort this out, I
    then shut down and reboot the system using the windows 98-boot disk in the
    floppy drive - which is not detected by the system and the same error
    message appears.

    When I open up case and remove each hard drive connection in turn to try and
    identify if the drives are faulty - I get the same message at POST --
    whichever drive is connected.

    During this stage, all the IDE and power cables were removed and re-seated
    to ensure a good connection.

    After having completed the above stages a few times, the computer will then
    inexplicably boot up and run as if nothing had happened (very frustrating).

    Today I again had the same problem which seemed to clear when I held the
    start button down whilst switching on the power at the socket - and the
    computer started with no apparent problem. (This was the only action I took
    other than trying unsuccessfully to enter the BIOS again).

    My computer set-up is as follows:

    Motherboard: Board: ATIA3-M1535D
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 06/26/2003

    Processor 1000 megahertz AMD Athlon

    Memory 512 Megabytes DDR

    Hard Drive C: Generic IDE hard disk drive (30.00 GB) -- drive 0, No
    SMART Driver
    Hard Drive D: Generic IDE hard disk drive (4.31 GB) -- drive 1, No SMART
    Driver

    Controllers

    Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    ALi M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)

    Operating System Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222) (all available updates
    installed)

    If this is insufficient information, please let me now what you need.

    Many thanks

    Brian G.
    Brian G, Dec 7, 2003

  2. Brian G

    °Mike° Guest

    As a first step, have you tried replacing the CMOS battery?

    On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 18:48:00 +0000 (UTC), in
    <bqvsl0$b5g$>
    Brian G scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 7, 2003

  3. Brian G

    °Mike° Guest

    Should have added to make sure that the connection is
    nice and tight.

    On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 19:04:37 +0000, in
    <>
    °Mike° scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 7, 2003
  4. Brian G

    IC Guest

    Brian G wrote:
    > Hello to all,
    >
    > I wonder if someone could give me some information that may enable me
    > to identify an intermittent fault that I have with three month old ATI
    > motherboard (described below).
    >
    > I have checked the manufacturers site (www.ata.com) and Google
    > without any success. (possibly can't see the wood for the trees
    > syndrome :) )
    >
    > On occasions during "POST" start-up the following error message
    > appears "locating IDE drives" and then the computer fails to detect
    > the drives and freezes at this point (disk and CD-ROM drive indicator
    > lights are flashing for about 15 seconds and then stop)
    >
    > If I shut down and reboot and try to enter the bios using the delete
    > button, the computer ignores this command and carries on to the stage
    > explained above as if nothing had happened.
    >
    > In an attempt to at least get to a stage where I can try to sort this
    > out, I then shut down and reboot the system using the windows 98-boot
    > disk in the floppy drive - which is not detected by the system and
    > the same error message appears.
    >
    > When I open up case and remove each hard drive connection in turn to
    > try and identify if the drives are faulty - I get the same message at
    > POST -- whichever drive is connected.
    >
    > During this stage, all the IDE and power cables were removed and
    > re-seated to ensure a good connection.
    >
    > After having completed the above stages a few times, the computer
    > will then inexplicably boot up and run as if nothing had happened
    > (very frustrating).
    >
    > Today I again had the same problem which seemed to clear when I held
    > the start button down whilst switching on the power at the socket -
    > and the computer started with no apparent problem. (This was the only
    > action I took other than trying unsuccessfully to enter the BIOS
    > again).
    >

    > Brian G.

    It's possible you have a bad IDE cable. Buy new one(s) and try it then.
    IC, Dec 7, 2003
  5. Brian G

    frustrated

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    IDE drives

    I also have this problem. I keep taking it in for repairs and Staples keep telling me it's a software problem. I TOTALLY disagree with them but I don't know what the problem is. Did you solve your problem? Maybe I have the same problem. Please let me know, as my name implies, I am very frustrated.
    frustrated, Dec 29, 2008