    Do I need to worry about it?

    Thank you

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Apr 6, 2010

  2. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <hpecu7$n58$-september.org>,
    says...

    > A notice suddenly came up on the tray "Found new hardware IDE controller"
    > Then another notice came up about a problem with installing the IDE
    > Controller. I suppose it didn't install.
    >
    > What is going on? I haven't installed any kind of new hardware. The computer
    > man last came out about 18 months ago and I don't think he installed
    > anything.
    >
    > If it has only just turned up I must have been using the computer without
    > one, whatever it is.
    >
    > The only thing different today is somebody put me on Facebook as a friend.
    > Facebook isn't hardware though, is it?
    >
    > Do I need to worry about it?

    I'm looking into the crystal ball to see what operating system your
    computer runs... ah... Windows XP. It's a bit hard to read the service
    pack level, but it appears to be SP3.

    Reboot the PC, and see the the problem persists - if so, you'll need to
    do *something* about it. If not, nothing to worry about.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Apr 6, 2010

  3. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > A notice suddenly came up on the tray "Found new hardware IDE controller"
    > Then another notice came up about a problem with installing the IDE
    > Controller. I suppose it didn't install.
    >
    > What is going on? I haven't installed any kind of new hardware. The computer
    > man last came out about 18 months ago and I don't think he installed
    > anything.
    >
    > If it has only just turned up I must have been using the computer without
    > one, whatever it is.
    >
    > The only thing different today is somebody put me on Facebook as a friend.
    > Facebook isn't hardware though, is it?
    >
    > Do I need to worry about it?

    The IDE controller is the hard disk controller. It is the bit that
    connects the hard drives to the rest of the components on the
    motherboard. In the very early days the hard disk controllers were on
    separate plug in cards, but since the not so very early days the
    controller has been on the motherboard.

    It is odd that it thinks that it has found a new one. You must have at
    least one unless your hardware is really new and uses SATA. I would
    certainly mention it to your computer man.

    There is a little battery on the motherboard that powers the bit that
    remembers your configuration (hard drives, floppy drives, CDs, etc). A
    remote possibility but an *unlikely* one is that this battery is failing.

    I would keep an eye on it, see if the message comes up again.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
    Enkidu, Apr 6, 2010
  4. Geopelia

    Richard Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    > There is a little battery on the motherboard that powers the bit that
    > remembers your configuration (hard drives, floppy drives, CDs, etc). A
    > remote possibility but an *unlikely* one is that this battery is failing.
    >
    > I would keep an eye on it, see if the message comes up again.

    Quite likly if it has reverted from AHCI to the normally selected
    moronic default that most motherboards have of emulating IDE.
    Richard, Apr 6, 2010
  5. In message <hpf0og$5mf$>, Richard wrote:

    > Quite likly if it has reverted from AHCI to the normally selected
    > moronic default that most motherboards have of emulating IDE.

    Motherboard battery failing?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 6, 2010
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Thank you folks. If it happens again I'll get the computer man.

    I didn't know it had a battery. It seems to run off the household power and
    the phone line.

    It's about 15 years old now, so I suppose bits will start to wear out some
    time.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Apr 6, 2010
  7. Geopelia

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > Thank you folks. If it happens again I'll get the computer man.
    >
    > I didn't know it had a battery. It seems to run off the household power
    > and the phone line.
    >
    > It's about 15 years old now, so I suppose bits will start to wear out some
    > time.
    >
    > Geopelia

    The battery just holds the CMOS information Geo. Just the basics so it
    holds its settings when the power is switched off. A CMOS battery lasts
    around 5 years, so I guess yours will have probably been replaced twice
    already, and if its 15 years old, it will probably be up for replacement
    again. cheers tony
    Tony in Oz, Apr 6, 2010
  8. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <hpf9fk$jmp$-september.org>,
    says...

    > Thank you folks. If it happens again I'll get the computer man.
    >
    > I didn't know it had a battery. It seems to run off the household power and
    > the phone line.
    >
    > It's about 15 years old now, so I suppose bits will start to wear out some
    > time.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375/en-us

    provide all the necessary information in your initial post
    - What Operating System and Service Pack level are you using?

    (we've been here before methinks)

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Apr 6, 2010
  9. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <hpf9fk$jmp$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> Thank you folks. If it happens again I'll get the computer man.
    >>
    >> I didn't know it had a battery. It seems to run off the household power
    >> and
    >> the phone line.
    >>
    >> It's about 15 years old now, so I suppose bits will start to wear out
    >> some
    >> time.

    > provide all the necessary information in your initial post
    > - What Operating System and Service Pack level are you using?
    >
    > (we've been here before methinks)

    Sorry, I'll do that. XP Home edition version 2002 service pack 3
    (It was changed over from ME then.)

    I keep it up to date with all the updates Microsoft sends.
    Geopelia, Apr 6, 2010
  10. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >> Thank you folks. If it happens again I'll get the computer man.
    >>
    >> I didn't know it had a battery. It seems to run off the household power
    >> and the phone line.
    >>
    >> It's about 15 years old now, so I suppose bits will start to wear out
    >> some time.
    >>
    >> Geopelia
    >>

    > The battery just holds the CMOS information Geo. Just the basics so it
    > holds its settings when the power is switched off. A CMOS battery lasts
    > around 5 years, so I guess yours will have probably been replaced twice
    > already, and if its 15 years old, it will probably be up for replacement
    > again. cheers tony

    It was completely refurbished about three years ago, so the computer man
    probably changed it then.
    I put it on Stand by when I leave it through the day, and switch it off at
    night.

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Apr 6, 2010