    any difference.
    Thank you,
    Seamus J.Wilson
    Seamus J. Wilson, Mar 10, 2009

  2. Seamus J. Wilson

    Dan C Guest

    On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 16:26:40 -0700, Seamus J. Wilson wrote:

    > I have a hard drive configured as master and a cd drive configured as
    > slave. Which one goes on the cable end? Does the drive location on the
    > cable make any difference.
    > Thank you,
    > Seamus J.Wilson

    Master on the end.

    Dan C, Mar 10, 2009

  3. Seamus J. Wilson

    Old Codger Guest

    Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
    > I have a hard drive configured as master and a cd drive configured as slave.
    > Which one goes on the cable end? Does the drive location on the cable make
    > any difference.

    Don't know if this is definitive but I have always seen the master at
    the end of the cable.

    --
    Old Codger
    e-mail use reply to field

    Old Codger, Mar 10, 2009
  4. Seamus J. Wilson

    Evan Platt Guest

    wrote:

    >I have a hard drive configured as master and a cd drive configured as slave.
    >Which one goes on the cable end? Does the drive location on the cable make
    >any difference.
    >Thank you,

    Chucktard should be along shortly to tell you the incorrect answer -
    but for the most part, it's like this:
    http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/img/16837_ide-cable.gif

    Chucktard will tell you it's the opposite. Always. Full stop .
    Evan Platt, Mar 10, 2009
  5. Seamus J. Wilson

    SteveBell Guest

    >I have a hard drive configured as master and a cd drive configured as
    >slave. Which one goes on the cable end? Does the drive location on
    >the cable make any difference. Thank you, Seamus J.Wilson

    If you have the option, put them on different cables. Some systems
    limit the transfer speed on the cable to that of the slowest device.
    You don't want your hard drive performing like a CD-ROM.

    --
    Steve Bell
    New Life Home Improvement
    SteveBell, Mar 11, 2009
  6. Seamus J. Wilson

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 01:51:02 +0000 (UTC), "SteveBell"
    <> wrote:

    >If you have the option, put them on different cables. Some systems
    >limit the transfer speed on the cable to that of the slowest device.
    >You don't want your hard drive performing like a CD-ROM.

    I've never heard of that.
    Evan Platt, Mar 11, 2009
  7. Seamus J. Wilson

    PeeCee Guest

    "Seamus J. Wilson" <> wrote in message
    >I have a hard drive configured as master and a cd drive configured as
    >slave. Which one goes on the cable end? Does the drive location on the
    >cable make any difference.
    > Thank you,
    > Seamus J.Wilson

    Seamus

    In Theory it should, in practice its usually ignored.

    In essence if the cable has pin 28 (C Select) correctly configured 'and'
    both drives are set to Cable Select then yes the position on the cable will
    determine which is master and which is slave.

    Confusingly 40 way IDE cables have the master in the middle, and 80 way
    connectors have the master at the end.

    In practice it was more normal to use the master/slave jumpers (thereby
    ignoring the C Select pin) and explicitly set which was master & which was
    slave irrespective of where the drive was on the cable.

    This page http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCS-c.html has the
    details.
    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Mar 11, 2009
  8. Seamus J. Wilson

    PeeCee Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 01:51:02 +0000 (UTC), "SteveBell"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>If you have the option, put them on different cables. Some systems
    >>limit the transfer speed on the cable to that of the slowest device.
    >>You don't want your hard drive performing like a CD-ROM.

    > I've never heard of that.

    Evan

    The theory goes if you put a device on an IDE cable that has a slower
    interface speed then the interface slows down to the slower speed for 'both'
    devices.

    But as you can see from this Wiki page
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT_Attachment it all depends...

    The relevant section says:
    <quote>
    Two devices on one cable - speed impact
    There are many debates about how much a slow device can impact the
    performance of a faster device on the same cable. There is an effect, but
    the debate is confused by the blurring of two quite different causes, called
    here "Lowest speed" and "One operation at a time".

    "Lowest speed"
    It is a common misconception that, if two devices of different speed
    capabilities are on the same cable, both devices' data transfers will be
    constrained to the speed of the slower device.

    For all modern ATA host adapters this is not true, as modern ATA host
    adapters support independent device timing. This allows each device on the
    cable to transfer data at its own best speed. Even with older adapters
    without independent timing, this effect only applies to the data transfer
    phase of a read or write operation. This is usually the shortest part of a
    complete read or write operation. [15]

    "One operation at a time"
    This is caused by the omission of both overlapped and queued feature sets
    from most parallel ATA products. Only one device on a cable can perform a
    read or write operation at one time, therefore a fast device on the same
    cable as a slow device under heavy use will find it has to wait for the slow
    device to complete its task first.

    However, most modern devices will report write operations as complete once
    the data is stored in its onboard cache memory, before the data is written
    to the (slow) magnetic storage. This allows commands to be sent to the other
    device on the cable, reducing the impact of the "one operation at a time"
    limit.

    The impact of this on a system's performance depends on the application. For
    example, when copying data from an optical drive to a hard drive (such as
    during software installation), this effect probably doesn't matter: Such
    jobs are necessarily limited by the speed of the optical drive no matter
    where it is. But if the hard drive in question is also expected to provide
    good throughput for other tasks at the same time, it probably should not be
    on the same cable as the optical drive.
    </quote>

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Mar 11, 2009
  9. Seamus J. Wilson

    chuckcar Guest

    "Seamus J. Wilson" <> wrote in

    > I have a hard drive configured as master and a cd drive configured as
    > slave. Which one goes on the cable end? Does the drive location on the
    > cable make any difference.

    It doesn't matter. It *used* to matter with floppy drives when computers
    had them. The cable had a flip in a few wires between the floppy drives.
    That determined it. The drives do it with ide as you stated.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 11, 2009
  10. Thank you all for the helpful answers.
    Best,
    Seamus J.

    Seamus J. Wilson, Mar 11, 2009