    access it without installing into an external enclosure.

    Can you buy them in NZ? If so, where? I did a quick search but could not
    find one.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Jan 6, 2006

  2. news.xtra.co.nz

    XPD Guest

    "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    news:5Ojvf.12844$...
    > I've seen these harddrive connection cables on overseas websites, where
    > you can connect the harddrive (internal), with the usb port just using a
    > cable. Also, they have a ac adaptor which has the correct plug to provide
    > power. This is good , since if you have an old drive sitting around you
    > can quickly access it without installing into an external enclosure.
    >
    > Can you buy them in NZ? If so, where? I did a quick search but could not
    > find one.

    This sort of thing ?

    DIGITUS USB 2.0 TO IDE ADAPTER CABLE
    Length 1m for 3,5"HDD / CD ROM
    USB A to 40pol IDE incl. Adapter for 2,5" HDD
    USB 2.0 compliant.
    Support for ATA / ATAPI devices
    Cable length 1.2m
    Includes 2.5" Adapter
    Support for: Windows XP Windows 2000
    $15.50+GST

    www.itproducts.co.nz

    XPD, Jan 6, 2006

  3. news.xtra.co.nz

    Sharktyymbfj Guest

    "XPD" <....nz> wrote in message

    > "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    >> I've seen these harddrive connection cables on overseas websites, where
    >> you can connect the harddrive (internal), with the usb port just using a
    >> cable. Also, they have a ac adaptor which has the correct plug to provide
    >> power. This is good , since if you have an old drive sitting around you
    >> can quickly access it without installing into an external enclosure.
    >>
    >> Can you buy them in NZ? If so, where? I did a quick search but could not
    >> find one.
    >>

    > This sort of thing ?
    >
    > DIGITUS USB 2.0 TO IDE ADAPTER CABLE
    > Length 1m for 3,5"HDD / CD ROM
    > USB A to 40pol IDE incl. Adapter for 2,5" HDD
    > USB 2.0 compliant.
    > Support for ATA / ATAPI devices
    > Cable length 1.2m
    > Includes 2.5" Adapter
    > Support for: Windows XP Windows 2000
    > $15.50+GST
    >
    > www.itproducts.co.nz

    With power supply?

    http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=CABCDLC-U2-IDE01

    --
    Sharktyymbfj

    Newsgroups - For those who can't afford vanity publishing.

    Sharktyymbfj, Jan 6, 2006
  4. news.xtra.co.nz

    Jack Guest

    I bought one off trademe last week $25... very handy thing to have

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Peripherals/External-storage/Other/auction-44407137.htm

    Jack, Jan 7, 2006
  5. "Jack" <> wrote in message
    >I bought one off trademe last week $25... very handy thing to have
    >
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Peripherals/External-storage/Other/auction-44407137.htm
    >

    > "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    >> I've seen these harddrive connection cables on overseas websites, where
    >> you can connect the harddrive (internal), with the usb port just using a
    >> cable. Also, they have a ac adaptor which has the correct plug to provide
    >> power. This is good , since if you have an old drive sitting around you
    >> can quickly access it without installing into an external enclosure.
    >>
    >> Can you buy them in NZ? If so, where? I did a quick search but could not
    >> find one.

    Thanks, just bought one too.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Jan 7, 2006
  6. news.xtra.co.nz

    Jack Guest

    I built my own storage cradle as well..a bit rough ( i'm a bushman by
    trade ) .. butchered an old AT case to get 3 cd rom bays & 2 hard drive
    bays & mounted it on a bit of MDF... as I say a bit rough, but does the job

    Jack, Jan 7, 2006
  7. news.xtra.co.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jack wrote:
    > I built my own storage cradle as well..a bit rough ( i'm a bushman by
    > trade ) .. butchered an old AT case to get 3 cd rom bays & 2 hard
    > drive bays & mounted it on a bit of MDF... as I say a bit rough, but
    > does the job ...

    That's the main thing huh?

    I've just used the 'buy now' feature on Trademe to get me one of those
    cables as well, (Thanks). I can't really afford it right now but the price
    is right. I have a few small HDDs around and, even though most of my
    machines are networked, it will be handy to use for file transfer or
    backups. I'm undecided about whether to use a removable drive bay and the
    included PSU or use an external CD-ROM housing (with included PSU) that I
    have that currently hooks up to a parellel port. (Actually, come to think of
    it, I have a SCSI one too....) I can mount a HDD in it and remove the
    existing connections and 'mount' the IDE-USB adapter cable it that. I guess
    it depends on whether I'm going to be using it mainly for one drive or for
    more than one.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 8, 2006
  8. news.xtra.co.nz

    bambam Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > I've just used the 'buy now' feature on Trademe to get me one of those
    > cables as well, (Thanks). I can't really afford it right now but the
    > price is right.

    Well if you are really hard up, or just frugal, like me, you should have
    just bid $20 and waited until the end of the auction. Saving yourself 5
    bucks. ;)

    bambam, Jan 8, 2006
  9. news.xtra.co.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    bambam wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I've just used the 'buy now' feature on Trademe to get me one of
    >> those cables as well, (Thanks). I can't really afford it right now
    >> but the price is right.

    > Well if you are really hard up, or just frugal, like me, you should
    > have just bid $20 and waited until the end of the auction. Saving
    > yourself 5 bucks. ;)

    I thought about that but how are we to know if the reserve is $20? It could
    well be $25. Also, the two-year warranty that you get only with buy now
    tipped it. (I printed the page, FWIW).

    And, yeah, I am really hard up. Probably should have just gone the bid
    route.

    Oh well.....
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 8, 2006
  10. news.xtra.co.nz

    bambam Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > bambam wrote:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I've just used the 'buy now' feature on Trademe to get me one of
    >>> those cables as well, (Thanks). I can't really afford it right now
    >>> but the price is right.

    >> Well if you are really hard up, or just frugal, like me, you should
    >> have just bid $20 and waited until the end of the auction. Saving
    >> yourself 5 bucks. ;)

    > I thought about that but how are we to know if the reserve is $20? It
    > could well be $25.

    All the auctions for this item that I can see are no reserve and $20 start.

    > Also, the two-year warranty that you get only with
    > buy now tipped it. (I printed the page, FWIW).

    I can only see 1 year for buy now? I'll risk it. ;)

    > And, yeah, I am really hard up. Probably should have just gone the bid
    > route.
    >
    > Oh well.....

    I wasn't pulling the piss, just in case you thought I was.

    bambam, Jan 8, 2006
  11. news.xtra.co.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    bambam wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    >> bambam wrote:
    >>> "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    >>> Well if you are really hard up, or just frugal, like me, you should
    >>> have just bid $20 and waited until the end of the auction. Saving
    >>> yourself 5 bucks. ;)

    >> I thought about that but how are we to know if the reserve is $20? It
    >> could well be $25.

    > All the auctions for this item that I can see are no reserve and $20
    > start.

    Ahh, OK, I didn't see the 'No Reserve" bit.

    >> Also, the two-year warranty that you get only with
    >> buy now tipped it. (I printed the page, FWIW).

    > I can only see 1 year for buy now? I'll risk it. ;)
    >
    >> And, yeah, I am really hard up. Probably should have just gone the
    >> bid route.
    >>
    >> Oh well.....

    > I wasn't pulling the piss, just in case you thought I was.

    No, I didn't think you were. You're right, I should have just bid. The
    auction I hit the 'Buy Now' button on only had an hour or so to go anyway.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 8, 2006
  12. news.xtra.co.nz

    Mutlley Guest

    "Sharktyymbfj" <> wrote:

    >"XPD" <....nz> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    >>> I've seen these harddrive connection cables on overseas websites, where
    >>> you can connect the harddrive (internal), with the usb port just using a
    >>> cable. Also, they have a ac adaptor which has the correct plug to provide
    >>> power. This is good , since if you have an old drive sitting around you
    >>> can quickly access it without installing into an external enclosure.
    >>>
    >>> Can you buy them in NZ? If so, where? I did a quick search but could not
    >>> find one.
    >>>

    >> This sort of thing ?
    >>
    >> DIGITUS USB 2.0 TO IDE ADAPTER CABLE
    >> Length 1m for 3,5"HDD / CD ROM
    >> USB A to 40pol IDE incl. Adapter for 2,5" HDD
    >> USB 2.0 compliant.
    >> Support for ATA / ATAPI devices
    >> Cable length 1.2m
    >> Includes 2.5" Adapter
    >> Support for: Windows XP Windows 2000
    >> $15.50+GST
    >>
    >> www.itproducts.co.nz

    >With power supply?
    >
    >http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=CABCDLC-U2-IDE01

    Interesting device. Will keep it in mind for future reference..

    I just bought a USB external box with 160G HD from them last week for
    $223 inc TX ..

    Mutlley, Jan 8, 2006
  13. news.xtra.co.nz

    Sharktyymbfj Guest

    "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    > "Sharktyymbfj" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"XPD" <....nz> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message

    >>> This sort of thing ?
    >>>
    >>> DIGITUS USB 2.0 TO IDE ADAPTER CABLE
    >>> Length 1m for 3,5"HDD / CD ROM
    >>> USB A to 40pol IDE incl. Adapter for 2,5" HDD
    >>> USB 2.0 compliant.
    >>> Support for ATA / ATAPI devices
    >>> Cable length 1.2m
    >>> Includes 2.5" Adapter
    >>> Support for: Windows XP Windows 2000
    >>> $15.50+GST
    >>>
    >>> www.itproducts.co.nz

    >>With power supply?
    >>
    >>http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=CABCDLC-U2-IDE01

    > Interesting device. Will keep it in mind for future reference..
    >
    > I just bought a USB external box with 160G HD from them last week for
    > $223 inc TX ..

    I took advantage of the info in here to score one from Trademe for $20 plus
    $5 delivery.

    Sharktyymbfj, Jan 8, 2006
  14. news.xtra.co.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Sharktyymbfj wrote:
    > "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    >> Interesting device. Will keep it in mind for future reference..
    >>
    >> I just bought a USB external box with 160G HD from them last week for
    >> $223 inc TX ..

    > I took advantage of the info in here to score one from Trademe for
    > $20 plus $5 delivery.

    Ehhh! So I did pay too much. Damn.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 8, 2006
  15. news.xtra.co.nz

    SteveM Guest

    "Sharktyymbfj" <> wrote in

    > "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    >> "Sharktyymbfj" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"XPD" <....nz> wrote in message

    >>>With power supply?
    >>>
    >>>http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=CABCDLC-U2-IDE01

    >> Interesting device. Will keep it in mind for future reference..
    >>
    >> I just bought a USB external box with 160G HD from them last week for
    >> $223 inc TX ..

    > I took advantage of the info in here to score one from Trademe for $20
    > plus $5 delivery.

    Me Too!

    SteveM

    SteveM, Jan 9, 2006