    Jim

    "Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes."
    - Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

    James D Andrews, Jun 4, 2011

  2. "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    > Here's a strange one, and I don't have a spare CD/DVD drive out to run the
    > experiment, so before I go through the effort of hauling old parts comps
    > out of my overstocked closets to dismember, perhaps one of you can tell me
    > if it is even technically feasible.
    >
    > My wife has a Netbook she loves. By nature of the beast, netbooks, unlike
    > full-size laptops, do not have CD/DVD drives.
    >
    > Can I use one of my USB-IDE/SATA Adapters (typically used for transferring
    > data from hard disks) to connect an old CD/DVD drive (IDE) for use as an
    > external drive?
    >
    > Hmmm.

    Yes. You can also buy a USB DVD/CD drive that simply plugs into an available
    USB port.

    Jeff Strickland, Jun 4, 2011

  3. James D Andrews

    Paul Guest

    James D Andrews wrote:
    > Here's a strange one, and I don't have a spare CD/DVD drive out to run
    > the experiment, so before I go through the effort of hauling old parts
    > comps out of my overstocked closets to dismember, perhaps one of you can
    > tell me if it is even technically feasible.
    >
    > My wife has a Netbook she loves. By nature of the beast, netbooks,
    > unlike full-size laptops, do not have CD/DVD drives.
    >
    > Can I use one of my USB-IDE/SATA Adapters (typically used for
    > transferring data from hard disks) to connect an old CD/DVD drive (IDE)
    > for use as an external drive?
    >
    > Hmmm.

    If you have the right adapter chips, you can even combine USB to IDE enclosure
    and SATA to IDE adapter board, to make a working USB optical drive.

    You can also get a USB to SATA enclosure. You'd want to verify what
    you have in the junk box first, before running out and buying anything.

    Or one of those adapter kits without enclosure, which supports USB
    to the various sizes of storage devices. An adapter like this,
    can come with SATA, 40 pin IDE (for 3.5" or 5.25" IDE), 44 pin IDE (for 2.5" IDE).
    Or some will have just SATA and 40 pin IDE (for 3.5" or 5.25" IDE). One
    of the weak links in schemes like this, is power adapters that fail.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

    If you read the reviews for the product in question, you'll get
    a better idea whether it has good ATAPI compatibility or not
    (for optical).

    Since it's for your wife, I'd agree with Jeff's suggestion, to buy
    a purpose-built item, compact and ready to use. Geeks like stuff
    they can take apart and repurpose, while ordinary users want
    stuff that works right every time (no "experiments").

    This one claims to use a tray. I thought for a moment, when looking
    at it, that it was a slot load type.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151223

    "Pros: I have had it for several months, and it has worked great.
    I use it on my ASUS EeePC to watch movies and play games.
    Works like a charm."

    When open, that drive looks like this. Looks like a laptop tray
    with compression hub.

    http://secureus.samsung.com/us/syst.../s0/84/ses084dtsbs/084D_Black_side_cd_400.jpg

    The drive is powered by USB bus power. The netbook has to be able to
    source enough +5V on the USB cable, to run the drive. If the netbook
    is known to suck at powering USB stuff, then you'll need a clunky
    solution instead. For example, this has room for a 5.25" SATA device,
    and comes with its own power source, so no USB bus power is needed.
    I use the IDE version of this thing, and have had both optical and
    hard drives in it. If I wanted, I could even run a 2.5" device, but
    there'd be no screws to hold it in place. So the main advantage
    of (expensive) devices like this, is the power adapter might hold up
    better.

    http://www.startech.com/media/products/sat5210u2e/Large/SAT5210U2E.Elarge.jpg

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 4, 2011
  4. Jeff Strickland embroidered on the monitor :
    > "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >> Here's a strange one, and I don't have a spare CD/DVD drive out to run the
    >> experiment, so before I go through the effort of hauling old parts comps
    >> out of my overstocked closets to dismember, perhaps one of you can tell me
    >> if it is even technically feasible.
    >>
    >> My wife has a Netbook she loves. By nature of the beast, netbooks, unlike
    >> full-size laptops, do not have CD/DVD drives.
    >>
    >> Can I use one of my USB-IDE/SATA Adapters (typically used for transferring
    >> data from hard disks) to connect an old CD/DVD drive (IDE) for use as an
    >> external drive?
    >>
    >> Hmmm.
    >>

    > Yes. You can also buy a USB DVD/CD drive that simply plugs into an available
    > USB port.

    Thanks, Jeff.
    My whole intent here (which I neglected to clarify), is as a temporary
    measure - raiding my toolbox and scrap closet - until I can get around
    to getting her a proper drive.
    Thanks again.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Facts are the enemy of truth."
    - Don Quixote - "Man of La Mancha"

    James D Andrews, Jun 6, 2011
  5. Paul banged his head on his keyboard to write :
    > James D Andrews wrote:
    >> Here's a strange one, and I don't have a spare CD/DVD drive out to run the
    >> experiment, so before I go through the effort of hauling old parts comps
    >> out of my overstocked closets to dismember, perhaps one of you can tell me
    >> if it is even technically feasible.
    >>
    >> My wife has a Netbook she loves. By nature of the beast, netbooks, unlike
    >> full-size laptops, do not have CD/DVD drives.
    >>
    >> Can I use one of my USB-IDE/SATA Adapters (typically used for transferring
    >> data from hard disks) to connect an old CD/DVD drive (IDE) for use as an
    >> external drive?
    >>
    >> Hmmm.
    >>

    > If you have the right adapter chips, you can even combine USB to IDE
    > enclosure
    > and SATA to IDE adapter board, to make a working USB optical drive.

    I'm sorry to say I don't really understand what you mean here, which
    reminds me of how limited my knowledge is. I'm working on improving
    when I can.

    > You can also get a USB to SATA enclosure. You'd want to verify what
    > you have in the junk box first, before running out and buying anything.

    Always great advice! Nothing worse than buying something, then finding
    you already had it in the first place.

    > Or one of those adapter kits without enclosure, which supports USB
    > to the various sizes of storage devices. An adapter like this,
    > can come with SATA, 40 pin IDE (for 3.5" or 5.25" IDE), 44 pin IDE (for 2.5"
    > IDE).
    > Or some will have just SATA and 40 pin IDE (for 3.5" or 5.25" IDE). One
    > of the weak links in schemes like this, is power adapters that fail.
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

    This was along the lines of what I had in mind. I have two
    SATA/IDE-USB Adapters (at the advice of one or more of you guys).

    One, a Rosewill I've been using for a couple years now to get data off
    HDDs of dead systems to move over to new systems; the second a
    HighFlash USB-SATA/IDE Cable my daughter picked up at a yard sale or
    Goodwill or something. I haven't had a chance to test it, so I guess
    this is a perfect opportunity.

    Both use their own power source so won't rely on USB power.

    >If you read the reviews for the product in question,

    Always!

    > Since it's for your wife, I'd agree with Jeff's suggestion, to buy
    > a purpose-built item, compact and ready to use.
    > Paul

    This is just intended as a temporary measure. I plan to get her an
    external drive later on when I actually have money. I was hoping this
    might hold her for the time being.

    Thank you so much for the information, advice, and links. As always,
    you're a great help. Both you and Jeff have been goldmines for me in
    learning to understand my systems better.

    Jim

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
    troublesome."
    - Isaac Asimov

    James D Andrews, Jun 6, 2011
  6. "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland embroidered on the monitor :
    >> "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >>> Here's a strange one, and I don't have a spare CD/DVD drive out to run
    >>> the experiment, so before I go through the effort of hauling old parts
    >>> comps out of my overstocked closets to dismember, perhaps one of you can
    >>> tell me if it is even technically feasible.
    >>>
    >>> My wife has a Netbook she loves. By nature of the beast, netbooks,
    >>> unlike full-size laptops, do not have CD/DVD drives.
    >>>
    >>> Can I use one of my USB-IDE/SATA Adapters (typically used for
    >>> transferring data from hard disks) to connect an old CD/DVD drive (IDE)
    >>> for use as an external drive?
    >>>
    >>> Hmmm.
    >>>

    >> Yes. You can also buy a USB DVD/CD drive that simply plugs into an
    >> available USB port.

    > Thanks, Jeff.
    > My whole intent here (which I neglected to clarify), is as a temporary
    > measure - raiding my toolbox and scrap closet - until I can get around to
    > getting her a proper drive.
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > --

    That does not change my answer. You need a power supply and a data
    connection for the spare CD that you want to use. You also need a USB
    connection because there are no other connections on the Netbook. So, you
    have to drive to the store and buy a product that is an equivelent to a
    Kingwin EZConnect. It includes a power supply to power the drive you want to
    use, and it has an IDE-to-USB converter thingy that turns the CD/DVD donor
    into a USB for the beneficary machine.

    Since you have to make a run to the store for the converter, you can just
    buy an external CD/DVD drive that has everything needed, and it connects
    cleanly with the only exposed cable being a USB. No clunky power supply that
    has to be plugged into the wall, no power supply wire to the Netbook, no
    boxy power supply dangling by the cable waiting to get tangled in the dog
    and yanked off the table pulling the Netbook with it. Just a short USB cable
    from the portable drive to the Netbook. Clean and easy.

    You can easily do what you asked, but since you had to ask then you don't
    have the hardware to make it happen, and must go to the store. Since you
    gotta go to the store, just get an external drive and be done. Better yet,
    get HER an external drive, and get YOU the USB converter for next time...

    Jeff Strickland, Jun 9, 2011
  7. Jeff Strickland banged his head on his keyboard to write :
    > "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >> Jeff Strickland embroidered on the monitor :
    >>> "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes. You can also buy a USB DVD/CD drive that simply plugs into an
    >>> available USB port.

    >> Thanks, Jeff.
    >> My whole intent here (which I neglected to clarify), is as a temporary
    >> measure - raiding my toolbox and scrap closet - until I can get around to
    >> getting her a proper drive.
    >> Thanks again.
    >>
    >> --

    > That does not change my answer. You need a power supply and a data connection
    > for the spare CD that you want to use. You also need a USB connection because
    > there are no other connections on the Netbook. So, you have to drive to the
    > store and buy a product that is an equivelent to a Kingwin EZConnect. It
    > includes a power supply to power the drive you want to use, and it has an
    > IDE-to-USB converter thingy that turns the CD/DVD donor into a USB for the
    > beneficary machine.
    >
    > Since you have to make a run to the store for the converter, you can just buy
    > an external CD/DVD drive that has everything needed, and it connects cleanly
    > with the only exposed cable being a USB. No clunky power supply that has to
    > be plugged into the wall, no power supply wire to the Netbook, no boxy power
    > supply dangling by the cable waiting to get tangled in the dog and yanked off
    > the table pulling the Netbook with it. Just a short USB cable from the
    > portable drive to the Netbook. Clean and easy.
    >
    > You can easily do what you asked, but since you had to ask then you don't
    > have the hardware to make it happen, and must go to the store. Since you
    > gotta go to the store, just get an external drive and be done. Better yet,
    > get HER an external drive, and get YOU the USB converter for next time...

    Jeff,

    My point, which I apologize if haven't stated clearly, is that I've
    already got the converter. I don't have to go anywhere to buy it.
    Instead of the EZConnect model, I have a Rosewill I got on sale through
    Newegg awhile back, but same thing.

    I was asking if it was even feasible to use as a temporary external CD
    drive before I went digging through my closet, ripping a drive from a
    parts comp, and digging the device out of my tool bin. Previously, I
    had only used the adapter with hard drives and I wasn't sure if I could
    also use it on a CD drive.

    Thanks to you guys, I now know that it can be done, and so I went
    digging. I had 2 of the adapters. As it turns out, one of them
    (bought from Goodwill or yard sale or such by my daughter) was
    defective, but the one I bought awhile back worked fine.

    This is not intended as a permanent fix - just a temporary measure.
    I'll get my wife a proper external drive eventually.

    She may have to wait, though, since I've already started shopping for
    the parts for the new desktop I'm going to build her.

    Thanks for all your help.

    James D Andrews, Jun 10, 2011
  8. "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > Newegg awhile back, but same thing.
    >
    > I was asking if it was even feasible to use as a temporary external CD
    > drive before I went digging through my closet, ripping a drive from a
    > parts comp, and digging the device out of my tool bin. Previously, I had
    > only used the adapter with hard drives and I wasn't sure if I could also
    > use it on a CD drive.
    >
    > Thanks to you guys, I now know that it can be done, and so I went digging.
    > I had 2 of the adapters. As it turns out, one of them (bought from
    > Goodwill or yard sale or such by my daughter) was defective, but the one I
    > bought awhile back worked fine.
    >
    > This is not intended as a permanent fix - just a temporary measure.
    > I'll get my wife a proper external drive eventually.
    >
    > She may have to wait, though, since I've already started shopping for the
    > parts for the new desktop I'm going to build her.

    The answer is, yes. You can use your converter to connect a CD/DVD drive.

    Jeff Strickland, Jun 10, 2011