    Stuart Guest

    I have an older pentiun 2 machine that I am attempting to connect a second
    CD Rom drive to. The CD Rom like most simillar devices does not posses pin
    #20 and the ribbon cable has the hole #20 blocked off!.

    The problem that I am facing is that My motherboard IDE port has all 40 pins
    and therefor I cannot connect the newer IDE cable due to the blocked off
    hole.

    What exactly is the difference between these two ports, and why does my
    motherboard have this extra pin?

    I do know that the CD rom drive works fine with my machine as the other IDE
    lead does not have any holes blocked off.

    If i was to drill out the blocked off hole on the newer IDE lead (this is
    the only reason that I can not plug this IDE lead into my mother board)would
    this cable then work?
    Stuart, Sep 11, 2004

  2. Stuart

    philo Guest

    "Stuart" <> wrote in message
    > I have an older pentiun 2 machine that I am attempting to connect a second
    > CD Rom drive to. The CD Rom like most simillar devices does not posses

    pin
    > #20 and the ribbon cable has the hole #20 blocked off!.
    >
    > The problem that I am facing is that My motherboard IDE port has all 40

    pins
    > and therefor I cannot connect the newer IDE cable due to the blocked off
    > hole.
    >
    > What exactly is the difference between these two ports, and why does my
    > motherboard have this extra pin?
    >
    > I do know that the CD rom drive works fine with my machine as the other

    IDE
    > lead does not have any holes blocked off.
    >
    > If i was to drill out the blocked off hole on the newer IDE lead (this is
    > the only reason that I can not plug this IDE lead into my mother

    board)would
    > this cable then work?

    that blocked-off hole is merely for "keying" purposes
    and the cables are otherwise the same electrically.
    if you are very careful you can drill that hole out...
    i assure you i have done so many times with no problems
    philo, Sep 11, 2004

  3. Stuart

    aguy Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 06:27:28 -0500, "philo" <> wrote:

    >"Stuart" <> wrote in message
    >> I have an older pentiun 2 machine that I am attempting to connect a second
    >> CD Rom drive to. The CD Rom like most simillar devices does not posses

    >pin
    >> #20 and the ribbon cable has the hole #20 blocked off!.
    >>
    >> The problem that I am facing is that My motherboard IDE port has all 40

    >pins
    >> and therefor I cannot connect the newer IDE cable due to the blocked off
    >> hole.
    >>
    >> What exactly is the difference between these two ports, and why does my
    >> motherboard have this extra pin?
    >>
    >> I do know that the CD rom drive works fine with my machine as the other

    >IDE
    >> lead does not have any holes blocked off.
    >>
    >> If i was to drill out the blocked off hole on the newer IDE lead (this is
    >> the only reason that I can not plug this IDE lead into my mother

    >board)would
    >> this cable then work?
    >>

    >that blocked-off hole is merely for "keying" purposes
    >and the cables are otherwise the same electrically.
    >if you are very careful you can drill that hole out...
    >i assure you i have done so many times with no problems

    The answer about drilling is 100% correct.

    I have sucessfully punched a hole in the connector with an awl. You
    could also just go to the computer store and purchase a cable with the
    hole in it.
    aguy, Sep 11, 2004
  4. Stuart

    philo Guest

    > I have sucessfully punched a hole in the connector with an awl. You
    > could also just go to the computer store and purchase a cable with the
    > hole in it.

    and it's way safer than trying to pull that pin out
    if you do make a mistake ...all you've done is ruin an inexpensive cable!
    philo, Sep 12, 2004