ICT Companies Asked To Lend A Hand to Govt. to Map Sector

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Janice, Sep 12, 2005.

  1. Janice

    Janice Guest

    MONDAY , 12 SEPTEMBER 2005

    By REUBEN SCHWARZ
    New Zealand's ICT companies are being asked to lend a hand to "map" the
    sector's funding sources, industry organisations, products and vertical
    markets.

    There were 8115 ICT companies in New Zealand in 2003, of which 6300
    were turning over less than $250,000.

    "I don't think anyone has a picture of what it looks like," says Garth
    Biggs, head of the HiGrowth Project, which is funding the stocktake
    with New Zealand Trade and Enterprise and Microsoft New Zealand.

    "We can all identify the top 20-30 companies. We have some idea of what
    industry horizontals and verticals they work in. But after that it
    becomes quite fuzzy."

    There are believed to be more than 150 ICT industry organisations in
    New Zealand, though nobody knows the exact number, he says. "I can't
    name more than 10."

    The survey will establish the groups' members, geographical reach and
    services.

    The final "map" will show a detailed analysis of each vertical market,
    showing the role ICT plays in that sector. It will also be possible to
    see the size of the markets for different products, such as video
    games.

    Funding sources such as incubators, venture capitalists and government
    agencies will also be included.

    The map will be available to every ICT company and industry body.
    Organisations that buy ICT will also be able to use the map to scope
    out the industry.

    More: http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/print/0,1478,3407061a28,00.html
    Janice, Sep 12, 2005

  2. Janice

    Justin Guest

    Janice wrote:

    > MONDAY , 12 SEPTEMBER 2005
    >
    > By REUBEN SCHWARZ
    > New Zealand's ICT companies are being asked to lend a hand to "map" the
    > sector's funding sources, industry organisations, products and vertical
    > markets.
    >
    > There were 8115 ICT companies in New Zealand in 2003, of which 6300
    > were turning over less than $250,000.
    >
    > "I don't think anyone has a picture of what it looks like," says Garth
    > Biggs, head of the HiGrowth Project, which is funding the stocktake
    > with New Zealand Trade and Enterprise and Microsoft New Zealand.
    >
    > "We can all identify the top 20-30 companies. We have some idea of what
    > industry horizontals and verticals they work in. But after that it
    > becomes quite fuzzy."
    >
    > There are believed to be more than 150 ICT industry organisations in
    > New Zealand, though nobody knows the exact number, he says. "I can't
    > name more than 10."
    >
    > The survey will establish the groups' members, geographical reach and
    > services.
    >
    > The final "map" will show a detailed analysis of each vertical market,
    > showing the role ICT plays in that sector. It will also be possible to
    > see the size of the markets for different products, such as video
    > games.
    >
    > Funding sources such as incubators, venture capitalists and government
    > agencies will also be included.
    >
    > The map will be available to every ICT company and industry body.
    > Organisations that buy ICT will also be able to use the map to scope
    > out the industry.
    >
    > More: http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/print/0,1478,3407061a28,00.html

    Hmm Is the Govt. going to reimburse all those companies for the time and
    resources required to compile this information?

    What was that ? No !

    Well why should they bother, compliance costs are high enough as is for
    businesses.
    Justin, Sep 13, 2005