ICS works with wired connection, fails with wireless connection

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Rich, Nov 16, 2005.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    I have been through NetGear customer tech help hell. And II have
    searched everywhere on the 'net I can think of and still have no
    solution. Here is my problem:

    I have a NetGear WGT624v2 wireless router with 4-port switch.

    My desktop PC is running XP Pro and has a DIAL-UP shared internet
    connection as well as shared file folders and shared hardwired
    printers. The ICS is configured to allow other users to control
    (connect and disconnect) the dial-up connection, and the dial-up
    connection allows all other users to connect to the ISP using the
    username and password for the ISP.

    I have a HP internal wireless laptop PC running XP Home.

    I have NO BROADBAND internet service. Nothing is connected to the
    internet broadband connector of the router.

    I have configured the router to IP 192.168.0.2 with DHCP disabled.

    The DESKTOP shared ICS is the DHCP server and it uses IP 192.168.0.1.

    The desktop PC with the ICS is hardwired to the router on port 1.

    If I hardwire the laptop to port 2 on the router, I can share files,
    printers, and the dial-up internet connection. I can both connect and
    disconnect the ICS from the laptop. EVERYTHING WORKS like it should.

    HOWEVER, if I disconnect the laptop from the router port and connect
    wirelessly, I can share both files and printers over the wireless
    connection.

    But I experience errors and problems with the ICS. The shared dial-up
    internet connection will connect ONCE but not allow me to disconnect
    it. When I try to disconnect it from the laptop I get an error
    message:

    "It is not possible to disconnect at this time. The connection is
    currently busy with a connect or disconnect operation."

    I have to disconnect the ICS at the desktop. Then I cannot RECONNECT
    from the laptop until I log off the laptop and then log back on. When
    the ICS is connected, I have the double-terminal icon in the system
    tray on both the desktop and the laptop.

    I feel that there is "some setting" that is not correctly set, or some
    proceedure that I am not performing correctly.

    I have been unable to find anyone who has acomplished this same system
    configuration who could help me.

    How about it, experts? Can anyone explain to me what I am doing
    wrong? I can provide more specific details about any of the router or
    PC setings if needed.

    TIA, Rich

    Rich, Nov 16, 2005