ICS unusual problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by richardewing@gmail.com, Apr 13, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi

    My ICS is playing up, from the client I can only get one page http page
    from an url.... I did say "unusual" :)

    I have a desktop with Windows ME a wireless adapter and a wired network
    card.

    I connect to this with a windows XP portable also with wireless adapter
    (ad-hoc connection) or wired network card.

    All has been working fine for many months now I seem to have a problem.

    As far as I can tell the network works fine, I can explore shared
    folders on each computer. I can even set up a TightVNC session ok.

    On the internet from the Desktop (connected to internet) all internet
    functions work fine email, http, ftp.

    However from the laptop (using ICS from the desktop) email and ftp work
    fine but I have problems with http connections and have tried firefox
    and IE with the same results...

    I can connect to one page of a website but if I ask for a second from
    the same website the browser cannot retrieve the page!

    I'm currently using the laptop using it's modem and there is no
    problem, therefore I'm assuming as there are no problems with direct
    connections from desktop or laptop and the network functions there must
    be a problem with http connections via ICS.

    Yes, I have firewalls but not different if I turn them all off inc. SP2
    firewall.

    Yes, I have done a windows update today I think there was a security
    patch, update for windows installer and some other bits but nothing
    which looked likely to cause this, IMHO, but I could well be wrong.

    Any ideas?

    Many Thanks

    Richard
    , Apr 13, 2005

  2. Interrogative, Apr 13, 2005

  3. Guest

    Many thanks, Interrogative, I'll take a look.

    Since posting my original message I retored to before the windows
    update and the problem has gone away. So looks like the source of the
    problem is an update, maybe the PPPoE solution you suggest will help.

    Cheers

    Richard
    , Apr 14, 2005