ICS & Network Bridge

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Marco, Jul 11, 2005.

  1. Marco

    Marco Guest

    My setup is a home situation with 4 PCs, XP SP2 (MCE 2005), a cable modem
    for the internet, sharing the internet through a second network card and
    windows ICS. Everything works fine. However I also have a wireless network
    capabilty on my motherboard. If I chose to make the wireless network the
    shared connection instead of the LAN, ICS works fine also.

    The problem is that I would like to internet share BOTH the wirelss network
    AND the LAN. So I disabled ICS and then bridged the LAN and the Wirelss.
    Then I started ICS again, this time choosing the Network Bridge as the
    shared connecion. Now the LAN can still get the internet but wireless
    cannot. The wirless notebooks in the house cannot get an I.P address. Of
    course I could go and buy a cable modem with wirelss and lan and it would
    probably work (but I'm a Scotsman) and windows is supposed to be able to
    achieve this.

    I've tried disabling firewall and Antivirus and spyware but still nothing
    works.

    Am I missing something? Or is the network bridge implementation in windows a
    bit flaky?

    TIA

    Marco Coppola

    Marco, Jul 11, 2005

  2. In article <Oj$>, "Marco"
    <> wrote:
    >My setup is a home situation with 4 PCs, XP SP2 (MCE 2005), a cable modem
    >for the internet, sharing the internet through a second network card and
    >windows ICS. Everything works fine. However I also have a wireless network
    >capabilty on my motherboard. If I chose to make the wireless network the
    >shared connection instead of the LAN, ICS works fine also.
    >
    >The problem is that I would like to internet share BOTH the wirelss network
    >AND the LAN. So I disabled ICS and then bridged the LAN and the Wirelss.
    >Then I started ICS again, this time choosing the Network Bridge as the
    >shared connecion. Now the LAN can still get the internet but wireless
    >cannot. The wirless notebooks in the house cannot get an I.P address. Of
    >course I could go and buy a cable modem with wirelss and lan and it would
    >probably work (but I'm a Scotsman) and windows is supposed to be able to
    >achieve this.
    >
    >I've tried disabling firewall and Antivirus and spyware but still nothing
    >works.
    >
    >Am I missing something? Or is the network bridge implementation in windows a
    >bit flaky?
    >

    >TIA
    >
    >Marco Coppola

    Not all network adapters can be bridged successfully, and some require
    a minor network settings tweak. Please see this Microsoft Knowledge
    Base article:

    Bridge May Not Work With a Non-Promiscuous Mode Network Adapter
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=302348

    It would probably be simpler to buy an inexpensive wireless router to
    share the Internet connection and forget about ICS.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Steve Winograd [MVP], Jul 11, 2005

  3. Marco

    Marco Guest

    Thanks for the advice.

    Checked out the microsoft article and tried the suggestion but it still
    doesn't work. Looks like I'll have to part with some bucks....sigh...

    Marco, Jul 14, 2005