    saved company.....after I re start the computer it reverts to the default
    explorer blue icon ...Is it possible to keep the original icons ... I use
    98SE Bob
    Bob B, Oct 17, 2003

  2. Bob B

    Brihu Guest

    "Bob B" <> wrote in message
    news:vSXjb.4885$...
    > When I add to favourites the icon is often one that is individual to the
    > saved company.....after I re start the computer it reverts to the default
    > explorer blue icon ...Is it possible to keep the original icons ... I use
    > 98SE Bob

    There used to be a little proggy called *FavOrg* - if my memory serves me
    correct. If you can find it, it will do as you want, save the site icons so
    they dont dissapear after shutdown. Used to be able to get it on:

    Try it and see if the link still works

    Cheers Brian
    Brihu, Oct 17, 2003

  3. Bob B

    trout Guest

    Bob B wrote:

    > When I add to favourites the icon is often one that is individual to
    > the saved company.....after I re start the computer it reverts to the
    > default explorer blue icon ...Is it possible to keep the original
    > icons ... I use 98SE Bob

    The favicon has to be moved from the temp files to a permanent
    location, and then re-associated with the Favourite short-cut.

    http://www.djdenham.com/saving_favicons.htm
    --
    "Or use a utility. I can't find a free one, anymore."
    trout, Oct 17, 2003
  4. Bob B

    trout Guest

    Brihu wrote:

    > "Bob B" <> wrote in message
    >> When I add to favourites the icon is often one that is individual to
    >> the saved company.....after I re start the computer it reverts to
    >> the default explorer blue icon ...Is it possible to keep the
    >> original icons ... I use 98SE Bob
    >>

    > There used to be a little proggy called *FavOrg* - if my memory
    > serves me correct. If you can find it, it will do as you want, save
    > the site icons so they dont dissapear after shutdown. Used to be
    > able to get it on:

    > Try it and see if the link still works
    >
    > Cheers Brian

    PC Mag restricted its downloads to subscribed (paid) members only;
    some months ago.
    --
    "Bummer."
    trout, Oct 17, 2003
  5. Bob B

    Brihu Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    > Brihu wrote:
    >
    > > "Bob B" <> wrote in message
    > >> When I add to favourites the icon is often one that is individual to
    > >> the saved company.....after I re start the computer it reverts to
    > >> the default explorer blue icon ...Is it possible to keep the
    > >> original icons ... I use 98SE Bob
    > >>

    > > There used to be a little proggy called *FavOrg* - if my memory
    > > serves me correct. If you can find it, it will do as you want, save
    > > the site icons so they dont dissapear after shutdown. Used to be
    > > able to get it on:
    > >
    > > http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,6679,00.asp
    > >
    > > Try it and see if the link still works
    > >
    > > Cheers Brian

    > PC Mag restricted its downloads to subscribed (paid) members only;
    > some months ago.
    > --
    > "Bummer."

    Ah well!! They are all becoming money minded now, havent used PC Mag site
    for years so didnt realise.
    Brihu, Oct 17, 2003
  6. Bob B

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as trout continued:

    > Brihu wrote:
    >
    >> "Bob B" <> wrote in message
    >>> When I add to favourites the icon is often one that is individual to
    >>> the saved company.....after I re start the computer it reverts to
    >>> the default explorer blue icon ...Is it possible to keep the
    >>> original icons ... I use 98SE Bob
    >>>

    >> There used to be a little proggy called *FavOrg* - if my memory
    >> serves me correct. If you can find it, it will do as you want, save
    >> the site icons so they dont dissapear after shutdown. Used to be
    >> able to get it on:

    >> Try it and see if the link still works
    >>
    >> Cheers Brian

    > PC Mag restricted its downloads to subscribed (paid) members only;
    > some months ago.

    Somebody just posted a copy to news:alt.binaries.misc ;-)
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Oct 17, 2003
  7. Bob B

    Iceman Guest

    "Brihu" <> wrote in message

    > Ah well!! They are all becoming money minded now, havent used PC Mag site
    > for years so didnt realise.

    You can get it for free from here:

    http://www.pctip.ch/downloads/dl/18699.asp
    Iceman, Oct 18, 2003
  8. Bob B

    Greg M Guest

    "Or use a utility. I can't find a free one, anymore."

    FavOrg costs a fee now? F*@# I'd post it.

    Greg M, Oct 18, 2003
  9. Bob B

    Brihu Guest

    "Iceman" <> wrote in message
    > "Brihu" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Ah well!! They are all becoming money minded now, havent used PC Mag

    site
    > > for years so didnt realise.

    > You can get it for free from here:
    >
    > http://www.pctip.ch/downloads/dl/18699.asp

    Thank you kind Sir!!
    Brihu, Oct 18, 2003
  10. Bob B

    Bob B Guest

    "Brihu" <> wrote in message

    > "Iceman" <> wrote in message
    > > "Brihu" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Ah well!! They are all becoming money minded now, havent used PC Mag

    > site
    > > > for years so didnt realise.

    > > You can get it for free from here:
    > >
    > > http://www.pctip.ch/downloads/dl/18699.asp
    > >

    > Thank you kind Sir!!

    Thats the problem with this news site .... The only reply to my question has
    been this one but it looks as if there could have been others although I
    can't see them ... has happened before !!!! does others also have this
    problem (not being able to see replies) ..> Bob

    Bob B, Oct 18, 2003
  11. Bob B

    °Mike° Guest

    View / Current View ... 'Show replies to my messages'.

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 15:16:14 +0100, in
    <MZbkb.5264$>
    Bob B scrawled:

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 18, 2003
  12. Bob B

    Bob B Guest

    "Bob B" <> wrote in message

    > "Brihu" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Iceman" <> wrote in message
    > > > "Brihu" <> wrote in message

    > > site
    > > >
    > > > You can get it for free from here:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.pctip.ch/downloads/dl/18699.asp
    > > >

    > > Thank you kind Sir!!

    > Thats the problem with this news site .... The only reply to my question

    has
    > been this one but it looks as if there could have been others although I
    > can't see them ... has happened before !!!! does others also have this
    > problem (not being able to see replies) ..> Bob

    I have just realised that as I only download 100 headers at a time and this
    means I often miss replies....

    Bob B, Oct 18, 2003
  13. Open Folder Icon

    Brihu wrote:

    > "Bob B" <> wrote in message
    >> When I add to favourites the icon is often one that is individual to the
    >> saved company.....after I re start the computer it reverts to the default
    >> explorer blue icon ...Is it possible to keep the original icons ... I use
    >> 98SE Bob
    >>

    > There used to be a little proggy called *FavOrg* - if my memory serves me
    > correct. If you can find it, it will do as you want, save the site icons so
    > they dont dissapear after shutdown. Used to be able to get it on:

    > Try it and see if the link still works
    >
    > Cheers Brian

    Speaking of icons - In Windows 95, I set up an OPENed folder icon that
    was a different color than the normal yellowish one. It made it MUCH
    easier to see which folder wan open in, for example, regedit, when the
    display is set to small icons or list. I have not been able to find a
    way to change just the OPEN FOLDER icon in Windows XP Home. Does anyone
    know how this might be accomplished?

    --
    Frosted Flake
    +----------------------------- Eat SPAM -----------------------------+
    Frosted Flake, Oct 18, 2003
  14. Bob B

    °Mike° Guest

    Re: Open Folder Icon

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 16:28:11 GMT, in
    <vSdkb.5621$>
    Frosted Flake scrawled:

    <snip>

    >Speaking of icons - In Windows 95, I set up an OPENed folder icon that
    >was a different color than the normal yellowish one. It made it MUCH
    >easier to see which folder wan open in, for example, regedit, when the
    >display is set to small icons or list. I have not been able to find a
    >way to change just the OPEN FOLDER icon in Windows XP Home. Does anyone
    >know how this might be accomplished?

    Folder icons can be changed globally through the registry at:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Shell Icons

    A closed folder is index 3 and an open folder is index 4.

    So, to change folder icons, create two string values, one
    called "3" and one called "4" (without the quotes).
    Modify the value of "3" to point to a closed folder icon.
    Modify the value of "4" to point to an open folder icon.

    Reboot for the changes to take effect.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 18, 2003
  15. Re: Open Folder Icon

    °Mike° wrote:

    > On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 16:28:11 GMT, in
    > <vSdkb.5621$>
    > Frosted Flake scrawled:
    >

    > <snip>
    >
    >>Speaking of icons - In Windows 95, I set up an OPENed folder icon that
    >>was a different color than the normal yellowish one. It made it MUCH
    >>easier to see which folder wan open in, for example, regedit, when the
    >>display is set to small icons or list. I have not been able to find a
    >>way to change just the OPEN FOLDER icon in Windows XP Home. Does anyone
    >>know how this might be accomplished?

    > Folder icons can be changed globally through the registry at:
    >
    > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Shell Icons
    >
    > A closed folder is index 3 and an open folder is index 4.
    >
    > So, to change folder icons, create two string values, one
    > called "3" and one called "4" (without the quotes).
    > Modify the value of "3" to point to a closed folder icon.
    > Modify the value of "4" to point to an open folder icon.
    >
    > Reboot for the changes to take effect.

    Thanks, I'll try it.

    --
    Frosted Flake
    +----------------------------- Eat SPAM -----------------------------+
    Frosted Flake, Oct 18, 2003
  16. Bob B

    slumpy Guest

    Re: Open Folder Icon

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Frosted Flake continued:

    > Speaking of icons - In Windows 95, I set up an OPENed folder icon that
    > was a different color than the normal yellowish one. It made it MUCH
    > easier to see which folder wan open in, for example, regedit, when the
    > display is set to small icons or list. I have not been able to find a
    > way to change just the OPEN FOLDER icon in Windows XP Home. Does
    > anyone know how this might be accomplished?

    You could try Folderstyle (not sure if it's what you're looking for
    exactly though) - you have hundreds of folder options so you could
    theoretically have each folder on your machine looking different.
    http://www.6bytes.com/.
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Oct 18, 2003
  17. Bob B

    °Mike° Guest

    Re: Open Folder Icon

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 17:00:24 GMT, in
    <Ikekb.5622$>
    Frosted Flake scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 16:28:11 GMT, in
    >> <vSdkb.5621$>
    >> Frosted Flake scrawled:
    >>

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>>Speaking of icons - In Windows 95, I set up an OPENed folder icon that
    >>>was a different color than the normal yellowish one. It made it MUCH
    >>>easier to see which folder wan open in, for example, regedit, when the
    >>>display is set to small icons or list. I have not been able to find a
    >>>way to change just the OPEN FOLDER icon in Windows XP Home. Does anyone
    >>>know how this might be accomplished?

    >> Folder icons can be changed globally through the registry at:
    >>
    >> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Shell Icons
    >>
    >> A closed folder is index 3 and an open folder is index 4.
    >>
    >> So, to change folder icons, create two string values, one
    >> called "3" and one called "4" (without the quotes).
    >> Modify the value of "3" to point to a closed folder icon.
    >> Modify the value of "4" to point to an open folder icon.
    >>
    >> Reboot for the changes to take effect.
    >>

    >Thanks, I'll try it.

    You're welcome.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 18, 2003
  18. Re: Open Folder Icon

    °Mike° wrote:

    > On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 17:00:24 GMT, in
    > <Ikekb.5622$>
    > Frosted Flake scrawled:
    >
    >>°Mike° wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 16:28:11 GMT, in
    >>> <vSdkb.5621$>
    >>> Frosted Flake scrawled:
    >>>

    >>> <snip>

    >>> Folder icons can be changed globally through the registry at:
    >>>
    >>> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Shell Icons
    >>>
    >>> A closed folder is index 3 and an open folder is index 4.
    >>>
    >>> So, to change folder icons, create two string values, one
    >>> called "3" and one called "4" (without the quotes).
    >>> Modify the value of "3" to point to a closed folder icon.
    >>> Modify the value of "4" to point to an open folder icon.
    >>>
    >>> Reboot for the changes to take effect.
    >>>

    >>Thanks, I'll try it.

    > You're welcome.

    Unfortunately, it didn't work - nothing appears to have changed. I
    added string value 4 first pointing to a red folder icon 32x32@16 and
    rebooted - no change. Then I added a string value of 3 pointing to the
    same thing and rebooted, again no change. (I thought maybe the indices
    that you gave might have been wrong). No joy :-(

    The suggestion by slumpy is not what I'm looking for - I can change any
    folder to have any icon now. What I want to be able to do is change,
    especially the small icons as seen in regedit or the list view on
    folders such that, when a folder is opened, the icon changes from the
    yellow closed manilla folder looking icon to a red open folder icon. I
    pulled the red folder icon from folderext.dll and I used it before on
    Windows 95. I just can't get it to work on XP Home.

    --
    Frosted Flake
    +----------------------------- Eat SPAM -----------------------------+
    Frosted Flake, Oct 18, 2003
  19. Bob B

    °Mike° Guest

    Re: Open Folder Icon

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 18:46:22 GMT,
    in message <2Ufkb.17714$>,
    Frosted Flake <> scrawled:

    <snip>

    >Unfortunately, it didn't work - nothing appears to have changed. I
    >added string value 4 first pointing to a red folder icon 32x32@16 and
    >rebooted - no change. Then I added a string value of 3 pointing to the
    >same thing and rebooted, again no change. (I thought maybe the indices
    >that you gave might have been wrong). No joy :-(
    >
    >The suggestion by slumpy is not what I'm looking for - I can change any
    >folder to have any icon now. What I want to be able to do is change,
    >especially the small icons as seen in regedit or the list view on
    >folders such that, when a folder is opened, the icon changes from the
    >yellow closed manilla folder looking icon to a red open folder icon. I
    >pulled the red folder icon from folderext.dll and I used it before on
    >Windows 95. I just can't get it to work on XP Home.

    Try it again, but delete the %systemroot%\ShellIconCache file (no
    extension) before rebooting. The icons are stored in ShellIconCache
    and this needs refreshing.

    If you know the icon offsets in folderext.dll , you can use that
    directly.
    If your chosen icon was at offset (starting from zero) 7, you would
    use (edit the path as necessary):

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Shell
    Icons]
    "4"="C:\foldername\folderext.dll,7"

    --
    Basic Computer Maintenance