    I get tired of deleting icons every time a CD or DVD is inserted into
    the optical drive and would like to know if there is a way to stop it.
    I have searched the internet but can't seem to find an appropriate answer.
    Bobby Johnson, Jul 13, 2009

  2. I'm using Vista Ultimate and before that XP, WinMe, Win98, and Win95 and I
    have never had a icon put on the desktop after inserting a CD/DVD. You must
    be running some unstock program that does it as I have never heard of this
    problem before anywhere.
    ==================

    David B. Mathews, Jul 13, 2009

  3. Bobby Johnson

    Carlos Guest

    Bobby,
    Is this behaviour new?
    Have you tried system restore?
    What new software have you installed lately?
    Just as an example, this proggie
    http://www.techyard.net/create-desktop-shortcuts-automatically-on-inserting-removable-media/
    creates a shortcut when insterting a CD!
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 13, 2009
  4. Carlos,

    It's not a new behavior and it occurs on every system I have running
    right now; XP Pro, Win 7 x86, and Win 7 x64. I also experienced it on
    XP x64. When I insert a CD or DVD it puts an icon associated with that
    disc. Usually it's the icon identified by the Autorun program, but I
    also get it with discs that have no Autorun or any icon I can see on the
    disc. Essentially I guess it's a shortcut to that particular disc and I
    have actually had it happening to me for a loooooong time.

    Bobby

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 13, 2009
  5. Bobby Johnson

    Carlos Guest

    Bobby,
    And does this also happen after a fresh install (i.e., no additional
    software installed)?
    Carlos
    P.S. Just curious, what "colony" do you live in?

    Carlos, Jul 14, 2009
  6. Carlos,

    Yes, this happens with fresh installs.

    I live in part of the original Commonwealth of Virginia.

    Bobby

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 14, 2009
  7. Bobby Johnson

    Carlos Guest

    Bobby,
    This is a behaviour I have never seen in any of my Windows installations.
    Looks more like Linux behaviour rather than MSFT windows!
    Could it be something related to localization?
    Are all installations English-US or English-something_else?
    I can't think of anything else.
    Did DOS 6.22 had this problem? (just kidding)
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 14, 2009
  8. Well, I was do some more Googleing yesterday and I did manage to find
    links to other people complaining about always having to delete icons
    from the desktop that; some were from software installation and some
    were like mine - an icon when a disc is inserted into optical drive.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 15, 2009
  9. Bobby Johnson

    ShellP Guest

    On Jul 15, 6:08 am, Bobby Johnson <>
    wrote:
    > Well, I was do some more Googleing yesterday and I did manage to find
    > links to other people complaining about always having to delete icons
    > from the desktop that; some were from software installation and some
    > were like mine - an icon when a disc is inserted into optical drive.
    >

    > Carlos wrote:
    > > Bobby,
    > > This is a behaviour I have never seen in any of my Windows installations.
    > > Looks more like Linux behaviour rather than MSFT windows!
    > > Could it be something related to localization?
    > > Are all installations English-US or English-something_else?
    > > I can't think of anything else.
    > > Did DOS 6.22 had this problem? (just kidding)
    > > :)
    > > Carlos

    > > "Bobby Johnson" wrote:

    > >> Carlos,

    > >> Yes, this happens with fresh installs.

    > >> I live in part of the original Commonwealth of Virginia.

    > >> Bobby

    Hi, The desktop icons appear with ever additional download no matter
    what type they are! I thought perhaps I had set something wrong being
    a Newbie. I have a HDX 18-1180us Notebook that I've only had 24 hrs.
    From what I can tell, unless you set your Folders 1st? It will do
    this.
    ShellP, Jul 19, 2009
  10. Bobby Johnson

    tsperling Guest

    This does not sound as if it's the same problem - yours could be your
    Desktop being set as the default download directory, not an actual error,
    but something you get used to or (as you've noticed) you define your own
    target directory.

    Moreover - this is not a correction you can make once and for all, different
    download managers or download sources have a tendency to prefer their own
    targets and some of them works better than other, depending on who you are.

    Tony. . .
    tsperling, Jul 19, 2009