    Is there any way I get an icon that isn't the Internet Explorer type
    without having to manually change all the icons?
    Thanx in advance.
    zybbok, Jan 29, 2006

  2. zybbok

    gangle Guest

    "zybbok" wrote
    > Hello Folks,
    > I'm using Windows XP with service pack 2.
    > I've got about a dozen icons in my Taskbar for Internet Explorer
    > shortcuts to various websites.
    > The icons are all of the 'Internet Explorer Browser' type, the large
    > round 'E'.
    > I'm getting them from my favourites list by right clicking on a website
    > address and selecting 'Send to/Desktop (create shortcut)' and then
    > dragging tham into the Taskbar.
    > Is there any way I get an icon that isn't the Internet Explorer type
    > without having to manually change all the icons?
    > Thanx in advance.

    Manually changing each one is not difficult, and is sensible.
    What you need to do is obtain some custom icons, putting
    them in a "Custom Icons" folder on C. Then, one by one,
    asign a unique icon to each website shortcut. After awhile you
    will know which icon is for which site without thinking about
    it. Here's just one of countless sites to find icons:
    http://www.iconfactory.com/
    gangle, Jan 29, 2006

  3. zybbok

    zybbok Guest

    Thanx for the reply.
    What I had in mind was to try and keep the original Icons.
    For example, when I first saved Google to my desktop, I had the Google
    icon.
    You know the one that is a large letter 'G'.
    When I dragged this onto the Taskbar, it was still a letter 'G'.
    When I boot up the computer again the icon's changed to the Internet
    Explorer icon.
    The icons only change when they're Internet Explorer shortcuts.
    Since I last posted to the group, I've found out that there's some sort
    of patch for just this problem.
    The patch stops any icons from changing on the Taskbar and also in the
    Favourites folder.
    zybbok, Jan 29, 2006
  4. Re: Re: Icons in the Taskbar

    gangle wrote:

    "zybbok" wrote

    >Manually changing each one is not difficult, and is sensible.
    >What you need to do is obtain some custom icons, putting
    >them in a "Custom Icons" folder on C. Then, one by one,
    >asign a unique icon to each website shortcut. After awhile you
    >will know which icon is for which site without thinking about
    >it. Here's just one of countless sites to find icons:
    > http://www.iconfactory.com/

    We were discussing you -- not me.
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  5. Re: Re: Icons in the Taskbar

    zybbok wrote:

    Thanx for the reply.
    >What I had in mind was to try and keep the original Icons.
    >For example, when I first saved Google to my desktop, I had the Google
    >icon.
    >You know the one that is a large letter 'G'.
    >When I dragged this onto the Taskbar, it was still a letter 'G'.
    >When I boot up the computer again the icon's changed to the Internet
    >Explorer icon.
    >The icons only change when they're Internet Explorer shortcuts.
    >Since I last posted to the group, I've found out that there's some sort
    >of patch for just this problem.
    >The patch stops any icons from changing on the Taskbar and also in the
    >Favourites folder.

    What about machines worries you?
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006