Icons down in tray

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Shirley Azvedo, Mar 16, 2007.

  1. What is the difference between the icons just to the right of Start and the
    icons to the left of the clock?

    Shirley Azvedo, Mar 16, 2007

  2. Shirley Azvedo

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Shirley Azvedo.

    In <news:MMBKh.85437$> you
    wrote:

    > What is the difference between the icons just to the right of Start and the
    > icons to the left of the clock?

    The icons to the right of Start are shortcuts, and to the left of the
    clock are running programs.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Mar 16, 2007

  3. Is there any advantage to having a shortcut down in the tray instead of on
    the desktop? If so, how do I get it there?
    "Ponder" <> wrote in message
    Hiya Shirley Azvedo.

    Shirley Azvedo, Mar 16, 2007
  4. Shirley Azvedo

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Shirley Azvedo.

    In <news:p9CKh.85543$> you
    wrote:

    > Is there any advantage to having a shortcut down in the tray instead of on
    > the desktop? If so, how do I get it there?

    It's called the Quick Launch Bar. It normally remains visible even when
    the desktop is covered, and it's a single click. Just drag a desktop icon
    over the bar and drop it there.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Mar 16, 2007
  5. It keeps jumping back up onto the desktop. What am I doing wrong?

    "Ponder" <> wrote in message
    Hiya Shirley Azvedo.

    Shirley Azvedo, Mar 17, 2007
  6. Shirley Azvedo

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Shirley Azvedo" <> wrote in message
    > "Ponder" <> wrote in message
    > Hiya Shirley Azvedo.
    >
    > In <news:p9CKh.85543$> you
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any advantage to having a shortcut down in the tray instead of
    >> on
    >> the desktop? If so, how do I get it there?

    > It's called the Quick Launch Bar. It normally remains visible even when
    > the desktop is covered, and it's a single click. Just drag a desktop icon
    > over the bar and drop it there.
    >

    > It keeps jumping back up onto the desktop. What am I doing wrong?

    Besides top posting? (follow-ups go at the bottom)

    Which side of the taskbar are you trying to put your icon into? You can only
    put it on the left side next to the start button. Drag it there, hold it
    briefly between two icons that are already there, and when the little
    "insert" line appears, let go.

    WhzzKdd, Mar 17, 2007
  7. Shirley Azvedo

    83LowRider Guest

    "Shirley Azvedo" wrote
    > It keeps jumping back up onto the desktop. What am I doing wrong?

    Try right clicking on a blank area of your taskbar, and see if
    LOCK THE TASKBAR is checked.

    Ponder was also suggesting (as common practice) that you post
    any followups BELOW the previous posted text.. as this is, below
    your question.

    You should also 'munge' your email address, so as to keep
    from getting a ton of spam when you are posting in a public
    forum. There are programs that harvest names from places
    such as 'this'. As you are using Outlook Express,

    click TOOLS at top of page
    click ACCOUNTS
    click the NEWS tab
    click PROPERTIES
    where it says EMAIL ADDRESS, put nospam, or something similar
    into your email address to avoid your address from abuse. This will have
    no affect on your email. If you care to see others examples, pick a message,
    right click on it, and hit PROPERTIES.

    83LowRider, Mar 17, 2007
  8. Shirley Azvedo

    MaryL Guest

    > Is there any advantage to having a shortcut down in the tray instead of on
    > the desktop?

    I keep my most frequently-used programs in the tray -- to the right side of
    the Start button -- because: (1) I can easily access them at all times,
    without going to the desktop; (2) they are accessible with a single click;
    and (3) tech support at the university where I work told me some time ago
    that shortcuts stored there do not create a drain on system resources, while
    an excessive number grouped with the clock can slow down the system.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Mar 17, 2007