    I have a coupple of programs to make icons from scratch but they won't
    convert from graphics.
    THANKS
    ToyalP2, Mar 17, 2005

  2. ToyalP2

    °Mike° Guest

    IrfanView (use "Save As")
    http://www.irfanview.com/

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 19:45:29 GMT, in
    <>
    ToyalP2 scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Mar 17, 2005

  3. ToyalP2

    Dr. Bill Guest

    ToyalP2 wrote:
    > Hi
    > Does anybody knows of a program to turn a graphic such as a .jpg or
    > .gif into an icon?
    > I have a coupple of programs to make icons from scratch but they won't
    > convert from graphics.
    > THANKS

    Microangelo
    http://www.microangelo.us/
    Dr. Bill, Mar 17, 2005
  4. ToyalP2

    Dave Lear Guest

    "ToyalP2" wrote in message news:

    > Does anybody knows of a program to turn a graphic such as a .jpg
    > or .gif into an icon? I have a coupple of programs to make icons from
    > scratch but they won't convert from graphics.

    How about IconEditPro... http://www.iconedit.com/

    <quote>

    IconEdit Pro is a very powerful and easy to use icon editor and browser for
    Windows 95/98/NT. With this icon editor you are able to create icons
    (Windows/Unix/Linux), cursors, animated cursors, bitmaps and even wireless
    bitmaps (WBMP) for your WAP-Phone with up to 96x96 pixel and 256 colors.

    Effective tools like the 'Shadow Function' (lets you create 3D effects very
    easily), radial, free rotatable linear and conical gradations, antialiasing,
    contrast control, brightness/saturation control, raise/inset etc., can
    assist you a lot.

    Icons may be extracted from EXE and DLL files and also cut out of bitmaps
    (BMP, JPG, GIF) or directly out of the Windows screen.

    Icons may be stored in an icon resource (a file that may contain multiple
    icons with different sizes and colors) which helps you save a lot of space
    on your hard disk.

    All icons in a directory, an icon resource or an EXE/DLL file are displayed
    and may be printed with or without their filenames. The icons even may be
    printed in variable sizes.

    <end quote>
    Dave Lear, Mar 17, 2005
  5. ToyalP2

    MJP Guest

    "ToyalP2" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Does anybody knows of a program to turn a graphic such as a .jpg or .gif
    > into an icon?
    > I have a coupple of programs to make icons from scratch but they won't
    > convert from graphics.
    > THANKS

    Save as a bitmap *.BMP from any program and rename to *.ico.

    MJP
    MJP, Mar 17, 2005
  6. ToyalP2

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:14:57 -0000, in
    <>
    MJP scrawled:

    >"ToyalP2" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> Does anybody knows of a program to turn a graphic such as a .jpg or .gif
    >> into an icon?
    >> I have a coupple of programs to make icons from scratch but they won't
    >> convert from graphics.
    >> THANKS

    >Save as a bitmap *.BMP from any program and rename to *.ico.

    Simply renaming a bitmap file will NOT make the file an icon.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Mar 17, 2005
  7. ToyalP2

    MJP Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:14:57 -0000, in
    > <>
    > MJP scrawled:
    >

    >>"ToyalP2" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>> Does anybody knows of a program to turn a graphic such as a .jpg or .gif
    >>> into an icon?
    >>> I have a coupple of programs to make icons from scratch but they won't
    >>> convert from graphics.
    >>> THANKS

    >>Save as a bitmap *.BMP from any program and rename to *.ico.

    > Simply renaming a bitmap file will NOT make the file an icon.
    >
    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    Try it.
    MJP, Mar 17, 2005
  8. ToyalP2

    Dave Lear Guest

    "°Mike°" wrote in message news:4243eb17.9102531@localhost

    >>Save as a bitmap *.BMP from any program and rename to *.ico.

    > Simply renaming a bitmap file will NOT make the file an icon.

    It will if it's a 16x16 pixel, or 32x32 pixel, 8bit colour bitmap.
    Dave Lear, Mar 17, 2005
  9. Dave Lear wrote:

    > "°Mike°" wrote in message news:4243eb17.9102531@localhost
    >

    >>>Save as a bitmap *.BMP from any program and rename to *.ico.

    >>Simply renaming a bitmap file will NOT make the file an icon.

    > It will if it's a 16x16 pixel, or 32x32 pixel, 8bit colour bitmap.

    I just got a 1.37MB icon from an 800 x 600, 24-bit colour image :)
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Mar 17, 2005
  10. ToyalP2

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:01:10 -0000, in
    <>
    MJP scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:14:57 -0000, in
    >> <>
    >> MJP scrawled:

    <snip>

    >>>Save as a bitmap *.BMP from any program and rename to *.ico.

    >> Simply renaming a bitmap file will NOT make the file an icon.

    >Try it.

    Not that I needed to, but I did try it, anyway. As I said, changing
    the file extension does NOT change the format of the file; it
    remains a bitmap file.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Mar 17, 2005
  11. ToyalP2

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:26:57 -0000, in
    <>
    Dave Lear scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" wrote in message news:4243eb17.9102531@localhost
    >
    >>>Save as a bitmap *.BMP from any program and rename to *.ico.

    >> Simply renaming a bitmap file will NOT make the file an icon.

    >It will if it's a 16x16 pixel, or 32x32 pixel, 8bit colour bitmap.

    No, it will not. They are two totally different file formats,
    and renaming one will NOT make it the other, no matter
    how many pixels or bits it has.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Mar 17, 2005
  12. ToyalP2

    Dave Lear Guest

    "°Mike°" wrote in message news:423af8e7.12638828@localhost

    >>> Simply renaming a bitmap file will NOT make the file an icon.

    >> It will if it's a 16x16 pixel, or 32x32 pixel, 8bit colour bitmap.

    > No, it will not. They are two totally different file formats,
    > and renaming one will NOT make it the other, no matter
    > how many pixels or bits it has.

    Have you actually *tried* it, Mike? If the original .BMP was the correct
    size / bit depth then renaming it to a .ICO will allow it to be specified as
    an icon for a shortcut.
    Dave Lear, Mar 17, 2005
  13. ToyalP2

    Dave Lear Guest

    "Brian H¹©" wrote in message news:uNm_d.1531$

    >>>Simply renaming a bitmap file will NOT make the file an icon.

    >> It will if it's a 16x16 pixel, or 32x32 pixel, 8bit colour bitmap.

    > I just got a 1.37MB icon from an 800 x 600, 24-bit colour image :)

    Ah, a high-res icon? ;-)
    Dave Lear, Mar 17, 2005
  14. ToyalP2

    MJP Guest

    "Dave Lear" <> wrote in message

    >>> It will if it's a 16x16 pixel, or 32x32 pixel, 8bit colour bitmap.

    >> No, it will not. They are two totally different file formats,
    >> and renaming one will NOT make it the other, no matter
    >> how many pixels or bits it has.

    > Have you actually *tried* it, Mike? If the original .BMP was the correct
    > size / bit depth then renaming it to a .ICO will allow it to be specified
    > as an icon for a shortcut.

    If it walks like a duck and squawks like a duck it is a d**k
    MJP, Mar 17, 2005
  15. ToyalP2

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:47:17 -0000, in
    <>
    Dave Lear scrawled:

    >>> It will if it's a 16x16 pixel, or 32x32 pixel, 8bit colour bitmap.

    >> No, it will not. They are two totally different file formats,
    >> and renaming one will NOT make it the other, no matter
    >> how many pixels or bits it has.

    >Have you actually *tried* it, Mike?

    As I have already said, yes I tried it, even though I
    did not need to.

    > If the original .BMP was the correct size / bit depth then renaming
    >it to a .ICO will allow it to be specified as an icon for a shortcut.

    AHA! Allowing it to be specified "as an icon", ie. being
    rendered "on the fly" by the system, is NOT changing
    the bitmap into an icon file. I repeat: renaming a .bmp
    file does NOT change that file into an .ico file.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Mar 17, 2005
  16. ToyalP2

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:50:57 -0000, in
    <>
    MJP scrawled:

    >"Dave Lear" <> wrote in message

    >>> No, it will not. They are two totally different file formats,
    >>> and renaming one will NOT make it the other, no matter
    >>> how many pixels or bits it has.

    >> Have you actually *tried* it, Mike? If the original .BMP was the correct
    >> size / bit depth then renaming it to a .ICO will allow it to be specified
    >> as an icon for a shortcut.

    >If it walks like a duck and squawks like a duck it is a d**k

    You must quack with the best of them, then, idiot.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Mar 17, 2005
  17. ToyalP2

    Guest

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:14:57 -0000, "MJP" <> wrote:

    |> "ToyalP2" <> wrote in message
    |> > Hi
    |> > Does anybody knows of a program to turn a graphic such as a .jpg or .gif
    |> > into an icon?
    |> > I have a coupple of programs to make icons from scratch but they won't
    |> > convert from graphics.
    |> > THANKS
    |>
    |> Save as a bitmap *.BMP from any program and rename to *.ico.

    Your right, I didn't think it was that easy :)

    I took a 600X480 (VGA) jpg changed it to a Bitmap then changed the
    extension to ICO.

    It's now an icon on my desktop. :)

    Thanks for that.

    --
    http://www.honeynet.org/papers/bots/
    , Mar 17, 2005
  18. ToyalP2

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:53:28 GMT, in
    <>
    scrawled:

    >On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:14:57 -0000, "MJP" <> wrote:
    >

    >|> "ToyalP2" <> wrote in message
    >|>
    >|> Save as a bitmap *.BMP from any program and rename to *.ico.
    >
    >Your right, I didn't think it was that easy :)
    >
    >I took a 600X480 (VGA) jpg changed it to a Bitmap then changed the
    >extension to ICO.
    >
    >It's now an icon on my desktop. :)
    >
    >Thanks for that.

    No it's not. It's a representation; a preview. It is NOT an icon,
    as in an *.ico file -- they are two totally different file types, and
    no matter what it looks like when you have renamed it, the file
    TYPE is still a bitmap.

    For anybody that still doubts it, take a look at an .ico file
    and a .bmp file in a hex editor. Now rename a .bmp to an .ico
    file. Does it change? NO, it doesn't.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Mar 17, 2005
  19. ToyalP2

    MJP Guest

    > As I have already said, yes I tried it, even though I
    > did not need to.
    >
    >> If the original .BMP was the correct size / bit depth then renaming
    >>it to a .ICO will allow it to be specified as an icon for a shortcut.

    > AHA! Allowing it to be specified "as an icon", ie. being
    > rendered "on the fly" by the system, is NOT changing
    > the bitmap into an icon file. I repeat: renaming a .bmp
    > file does NOT change that file into an .ico file.

    An ico file is actually a collection of bitmap like images in various pixel
    and color formats combined in one file
    MJP, Mar 17, 2005
  20. ToyalP2

    Guest

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:59:50 +0000, °Mike° <> wrote:

    |> >Your right, I didn't think it was that easy :)
    |> >
    |> >I took a 600X480 (VGA) jpg changed it to a Bitmap then changed the
    |> >extension to ICO.
    |> >
    |> >It's now an icon on my desktop. :)
    |> >
    |> >Thanks for that.
    |>
    |> No it's not. It's a representation; a preview. It is NOT an icon,
    |> as in an *.ico file -- they are two totally different file types, and
    |> no matter what it looks like when you have renamed it, the file
    |> TYPE is still a bitmap.
    |>
    |> For anybody that still doubts it, take a look at an .ico file
    |> and a .bmp file in a hex editor. Now rename a .bmp to an .ico
    |> file. Does it change? NO, it doesn't.

    Totally different files, the headers will tell you so.

    But Windows doesn't use headers, it uses the extension and the registry
    to tell it what to do.