  1. Anyone know where the default location/folder is for the operating system
    icons for Windows XP? I can't seem to find it.

    Thanks.

    Sseadoubleyou, Apr 28, 2005

  2. Sseadoubleyou

    Troy Piggins Guest

    * Sseadoubleyou wrote:
    > Anyone know where the default location/folder is for the operating
    > system icons for Windows XP? I can't seem to find it.

    Think it's c:\windows\system32\shell.dll or shell32.dll

    --
    T R O Y P I G G I N S
    e :

    Troy Piggins, Apr 28, 2005

  3. Sseadoubleyou

    Brian Guest

    "Troy Piggins" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > * Sseadoubleyou wrote:
    > > Anyone know where the default location/folder is for the operating
    > > system icons for Windows XP? I can't seem to find it.

    > Think it's c:\windows\system32\shell.dll or shell32.dll
    >
    > --
    > T R O Y P I G G I N S
    > e :

    is that so? are you able to tell him how to get the .ico out of a DLL?

    Brian, Apr 28, 2005
  4. Sseadoubleyou

    Guest

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:17:56 +0200, "Brian" <> wrote:

    |>"Troy Piggins" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    |>>
    |>> Think it's c:\windows\system32\shell.dll or shell32.dll
    |>>
    |>> --
    |>> T R O Y P I G G I N S
    |>> e :

    |> is that so? are you able to tell him how to get the .ico out of a DLL?

    Any program here http://tinyurl.com/d4xjc that uses the keyword
    extract should.

    --
    The Eagle Nebula image release on Hubble's 15th birthday
    http://tinyurl.com/982nm (space.com)

    , Apr 28, 2005
  5. Sseadoubleyou

    JANA Guest

    For basic XP Icons.

    Try this one: C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Apr 28, 2005
  6. Sseadoubleyou

    Frodo_333

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2007
    Messages:
    1

    This one works fine...

    Frodo_333, Dec 12, 2007
  7. Sseadoubleyou

    Loup0999

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    Freeware

    You should try a freeware called Resource Hacker.

    It lets you decompile and recompile system files so you can edit the content!
    You can hack every logo in the system by replacing them with your own bitmaps!

    Replace avi files to create your own animations (progress bar, etc)
    Search Google for "resource hacker" AND tutorials and get more info. 8)

    Loup0999, Feb 16, 2009
  8. Sseadoubleyou

    wguru

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    is everyone getting the ms finger?

    when right-clicking on a given folder, selecting to choose a different icon for it, why would that button only open the system32 folder (as opposed to the actual shell32.dll)?

    I've never seen this happen before, and I've used Win98, XP's and even Vista Ho-Prem SP3, but my fresh reinstall of an Acer AOA150 (using the hidden partition's backed software) doesn't get me to the dll, just it's folder.

    Sort of like asking for directions to somewhere specific and someone just points.

    wguru, Feb 12, 2010
  9. Sseadoubleyou

    Educationalist

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Icon shells

    Also \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\pifmgr.dll has a nice assortment of icons.

    I like the wizard's cap & wand.
    :wink:

    PS: shell.dll is not an icon collection as are shell32 and pifmgr

    Educationalist, Nov 21, 2010
  10. Sseadoubleyou

    kg1016

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    finding icons in windows xp

    try here: C:\program files\WinUtilities\icons

    kg1016, Apr 22, 2011
  11. Sseadoubleyou

    NE8H

    Joined:
    May 29, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Icons location for Windows XP

    On my system (Windows XP SP3) the general Icons location is %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
    I just opened it today and changed a few of my "shortcut" icons.
    Right click on icon you want to change, select properties, click change icon, paste the
    %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll in the "Look for icons in this file:" block, click OK

    NE8H, May 29, 2013