    ok, have a machine that has a card reader, well it had the sony memory stick
    icon when you click my computer...when i reformatted I lost that icon,
    anyone have any idea how that icon was created?
    doS, Jul 3, 2005

  2. doS

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "doS" <> wrote in message
    news:jQHxe.22981$...
    > ok, have a machine that has a card reader, well it had the sony memory
    > stick icon when you click my computer...when i reformatted I lost that
    > icon, anyone have any idea how that icon was created?

    Probably when you actually put a mem stick into the reader, Windows will
    install the drivers.
    Toolman Tim, Jul 3, 2005

  3. doS

    doS Guest

    the reader uses a usb port...

    doS, Jul 3, 2005
  4. doS

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Not unusual. My card readers are too. Do you have a memory stick to try in
    it?

    Toolman Tim, Jul 3, 2005
  5. doS

    doS Guest

    yes, but it doesn't need any thing but the usb drivers

    doS, Jul 3, 2005
  6. doS

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Same with mine, but the icon doesn't show unless I have memory in the
    reader.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 3, 2005
  7. doS

    Guest

    On "doS" <> wrote:

    |>ok, have a machine that has a card reader, well it had the sony memory stick
    |>icon when you click my computer...when i reformatted I lost that icon,
    |>anyone have any idea how that icon was created?

    I used to put an autorun.inf file on each partition which would tell
    it what icon to use (for that partition) - find the icon you want and
    create one for it.
    Never argue with an idiot.
    They drag you down to their level,
    then beat you with experience......
    , Jul 3, 2005
  8. doS

    Fred is back Guest

    doS <> wrote:

    > ok, have a machine that has a card reader, well it had the sony memory
    > stick icon when you click my computer.

    I built my own computer.

    > when i reformatted I lost that icon, anyone have any idea how that icon
    > was created?

    In an hour or so.
    Fred is back, Jul 3, 2005
  9. doS

    Fred is back Guest

    <> wrote:

    > I used to put an autorun.inf file on each partition which would tell
    > it what icon to use (for that partition) - find the icon you want and
    > create one for it.

    Do you ever get the feeling that people are trying to fit you up for a
    coffin?
    Fred is back, Jul 3, 2005

    What's in a Name?, Jul 3, 2005
  11. Fred is back wrote:
    > now,please

    Registered Linux User #393236
    What's in a Name?, Jul 3, 2005

    What's in a Name?, Jul 3, 2005

    What's in a Name?, Jul 3, 2005
  14. What's in a Name? wrote:
    > What's in a Name? <> wrote:
    >

    >>I had it done in the midst of a three-week speed, heroin, and acid
    >>binge.

    Do you think it will ever grow back?

    Registered Linux User #393236
    What's in a Name?, Jul 3, 2005
  15. doS

    philo Guest

    doS wrote:
    > ok, have a machine that has a card reader, well it had the sony memory stick
    > icon when you click my computer...when i reformatted I lost that icon,
    > anyone have any idea how that icon was created?

    connect the stick
    then open windows explorer and the drive will appear...
    now just right click and drag it to your desktop
    and select : create shortcut here
    philo, Jul 3, 2005
  16. doS

    doS Guest

    Philo, I meant I had a special icon that looked like the Sony logo, when I
    click my computer, where the list of disc drives are, it has a special icon
    for the sony memstick, not like the drive icon that is in windows.

    doS, Jul 3, 2005
  17. doS

    doS Guest

    "Fred is back" <74843278@508478345.892> wrote in message
    > doS <> wrote:
    >
    >> ok, have a machine that has a card reader, well it had the sony memory
    >> stick icon when you click my computer.

    > I built my own computer.

    Thats surprises me, was it a GMachine?

    doS, Jul 3, 2005
  18. doS

    philo Guest

    doS wrote:
    > Philo, I meant I had a special icon that looked like the Sony logo, when I
    > click my computer, where the list of disc drives are, it has a special icon
    > for the sony memstick, not like the drive icon that is in windows.
    >
    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>doS wrote:
    >>
    >>>ok, have a machine that has a card reader, well it had the sony memory
    >>>stick icon when you click my computer...when i reformatted I lost that
    >>>icon, anyone have any idea how that icon was created?
    >>>

    >>connect the stick
    >>then open windows explorer and the drive will appear...
    >>now just right click and drag it to your desktop
    >>and select : create shortcut here

    then see if the mfg has some specific software for that memory stick
    philo, Jul 3, 2005
  19. doS

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    > doS wrote:
    >> Philo, I meant I had a special icon that looked like the Sony logo, when
    >> I click my computer, where the list of disc drives are, it has a special
    >> icon for the sony memstick, not like the drive icon that is in windows.
    >>
    >> "philo" <> wrote in message

    >>>connect the stick
    >>>then open windows explorer and the drive will appear...
    >>>now just right click and drag it to your desktop
    >>>and select : create shortcut here

    > then see if the mfg has some specific software for that memory stick

    On my HP (which has built-in card readers) when l set up Windows from a MS
    setup CD the card readers have nothing in "My Computer". If I put memory in
    the reader, then it shows.

    On the other hand, the HP *did* have custom icons in "My Computer" for the
    card readers - a different drive name assigned to each one. And, if I setup
    the HP using the Quick Restore set, they are reinstalled with that setup.

    There is no downloadable software at HP for that particular function. I'm
    assuming it was somthing they altered in the originals used to replicate the
    system drives at the factory. But obviously it can be done. And such is the
    scenario doS finds himself in.

    At this point I think he might try assigning a drive letter to the reader
    with XP Disk Management, then seeing if he can change the icon. Getting the
    original icon Sony used may not be possible, but something distinctive would
    help.

    I used disk management to rename my card readers, somewhere around M: I
    think, to get them out of the way of the multiple partitions of my hard
    drives. (And I moved the opticals to Y: and Z: for the same reason <g>.)
    Toolman Tim, Jul 3, 2005
  20. doS

    Fred is back Guest

    doS <> wrote: