ICMP Echo

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by cc, Apr 2, 2004.

  1. cc

    cc Guest

    I tested my machine on Shields up and failed on the ICMP echo. I have
    been reading about it and I am getting mixed signals, some say it is bad
    some that it is normal. In any case I dont like it.
    I am using XPPRO, have an SMC Router and a D-link WAP for wireless to
    my other machines, I also use Norton Person Firewall.
    When I check in my router it did receive an unauthorized HTTP access.
    It lists my IP address (outside the router) followed by :88.
    The next line says Snork it gives an IP address than my IP Address both
    followed by :135. I am guessing the numbers are ports that are scanned.
    When I tried to pull up the IP address that was listed as the sender of
    the attack (which would have had to have been the Shields UP site) I get
    nothing, meaning it just stays on the page I am on. I tried it with the
    shields up page open and it stays the same and I tried it with google
    open and it stays the same.
    Can anyone give me any advice, I have been googling forever and cant
    seem to get it resolved.

    Thanks
    Charlie
     
    cc, Apr 2, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. cc

    Palindrome Guest

    cc wrote:

    > I tested my machine on Shields up and failed on the ICMP echo. I
    > have been reading about it and I am getting mixed signals, some say it
    > is bad some that it is normal. In any case I dont like it.
    > I am using XPPRO, have an SMC Router and a D-link WAP for wireless
    > to my other machines, I also use Norton Person Firewall.
    > When I check in my router it did receive an unauthorized HTTP
    > access. It lists my IP address (outside the router) followed by :88.
    > The next line says Snork it gives an IP address than my IP Address
    > both followed by :135. I am guessing the numbers are ports that are
    > scanned.
    > When I tried to pull up the IP address that was listed as the sender
    > of the attack (which would have had to have been the Shields UP site) I
    > get nothing, meaning it just stays on the page I am on. I tried it with
    > the shields up page open and it stays the same and I tried it with
    > google open and it stays the same.
    > Can anyone give me any advice, I have been googling forever and cant
    > seem to get it resolved.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Charlie


    If the only port that shields up failed was ICMP, it sounds pretty good
    to me. If you can't stop it anywhere else, set up a DMZ machine to a
    non-existent address on your router. That will cause all incoming calls
    to go to the non-existent address, including ICMP.
     
    Palindrome, Apr 2, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. cc

    cc Guest

    Palindrome wrote:
    > cc wrote:
    >
    >> I tested my machine on Shields up and failed on the ICMP echo. I
    >> have been reading about it and I am getting mixed signals, some say it
    >> is bad some that it is normal. In any case I dont like it.
    >> I am using XPPRO, have an SMC Router and a D-link WAP for wireless
    >> to my other machines, I also use Norton Person Firewall.
    >> When I check in my router it did receive an unauthorized HTTP
    >> access. It lists my IP address (outside the router) followed by :88.
    >> The next line says Snork it gives an IP address than my IP Address
    >> both followed by :135. I am guessing the numbers are ports that are
    >> scanned.
    >> When I tried to pull up the IP address that was listed as the
    >> sender of the attack (which would have had to have been the Shields UP
    >> site) I get nothing, meaning it just stays on the page I am on. I
    >> tried it with the shields up page open and it stays the same and I
    >> tried it with google open and it stays the same.
    >> Can anyone give me any advice, I have been googling forever and
    >> cant seem to get it resolved.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Charlie

    >
    >
    > If the only port that shields up failed was ICMP, it sounds pretty good
    > to me. If you can't stop it anywhere else, set up a DMZ machine to a
    > non-existent address on your router. That will cause all incoming calls
    > to go to the non-existent address, including ICMP.
    >

    Thanks for the reply,

    I have access to 40 IP's through the router, it is probably the same for
    most I have 192.198.2.1 through .40. Do you mean I should set up an IP
    that is not being used for example 192.168.2.40 and put it in one of the
    DMZ spots?

    Charlie
     
    cc, Apr 2, 2004
    #3
  4. cc

    Palindrome Guest

    cc wrote:

    > Palindrome wrote:
    >
    >> cc wrote:
    >>
    >>> I tested my machine on Shields up and failed on the ICMP echo. I
    >>> have been reading about it and I am getting mixed signals, some say
    >>> it is bad some that it is normal. In any case I dont like it.
    >>> I am using XPPRO, have an SMC Router and a D-link WAP for
    >>> wireless to my other machines, I also use Norton Person Firewall.
    >>> When I check in my router it did receive an unauthorized HTTP
    >>> access. It lists my IP address (outside the router) followed by :88.
    >>> The next line says Snork it gives an IP address than my IP
    >>> Address both followed by :135. I am guessing the numbers are ports
    >>> that are scanned.
    >>> When I tried to pull up the IP address that was listed as the
    >>> sender of the attack (which would have had to have been the Shields
    >>> UP site) I get nothing, meaning it just stays on the page I am on. I
    >>> tried it with the shields up page open and it stays the same and I
    >>> tried it with google open and it stays the same.
    >>> Can anyone give me any advice, I have been googling forever and
    >>> cant seem to get it resolved.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Charlie

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> If the only port that shields up failed was ICMP, it sounds pretty
    >> good to me. If you can't stop it anywhere else, set up a DMZ machine
    >> to a non-existent address on your router. That will cause all incoming
    >> calls to go to the non-existent address, including ICMP.
    >>

    > Thanks for the reply,
    >
    > I have access to 40 IP's through the router, it is probably the same for
    > most I have 192.198.2.1 through .40. Do you mean I should set up an IP
    > that is not being used for example 192.168.2.40 and put it in one of the
    > DMZ spots?
    >
    > Charlie


    That is what I mean :)
     
    Palindrome, Apr 2, 2004
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Jesper Jenssen

    Basic question: Pix & ICMP echo replies

    Jesper Jenssen, Nov 21, 2003, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    7,138
    Walter Roberson
    Nov 21, 2003
  2. Yvick Miossec
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    898
    Hansang Bae
    Feb 5, 2004
  3. craig judd

    echo echo echo

    craig judd, Sep 23, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    560
    Miggsee
    Sep 23, 2003
  4. cc

    ICMP Echo

    cc, Apr 4, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    606
  5. cc

    ICMP Echo

    cc, Apr 4, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    917
Loading...

Share This Page