ICM = ICC? (color calibration trouble w/ Adobe Gamma)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Matthew.DelVecchio@CapitalOneAuto.com, Jul 20, 2005.

  1. Guest

    i upgraded my photo processing pc, buying a Hynundai L90D+ digital LCD
    panel, which i have plugged in to my geforce4 via a DVI cable. after
    reading a text oncolor management, i thought i would do some poor-man's
    calibration, via Adobe's Gamma tool. (id rather hold off on buying
    monitor calibration hardware/software until after i see results from
    the AG tool, which is better than doing nothing at all). i am running
    windows xp.

    trying to use Adobe Gamma to calibrate the monitor. from the book ive
    read, the first step is to begin by loading the monitor's provided ICC
    profile as a starting point, and tweak it from there using the utility.
    Hyundai provides this file:

    L90DPD.ICM
    (L90DPA.ICM too, which i assume is for the analog cable use)

    ....however when i load it, AG kicks me this message:

    "The selected profile is not a legal RGB display profile"

    i am sure this is related to another error i get when i load CS2 and
    have the same profile set as my default (via windows):

    The monitor profile "Colorific: PnP VESA DDC - HYUNDAI ImageQuest L90D
    Digital" appears to be defective. Please rerun your monitor calibration
    software.

    any idea whats up? is it because this is a ".ICM" and not a ".ICC"
    file? are they the same things?

    thanks
    matt

    --
    Matt Del Vecchio

    , Jul 20, 2005

  2. Celcius Guest

    Matthew,
    I think that the Adobe Gamma isn't meant for LCD screens, although I might
    be mistaken. I managed by trial and error to get good results, but it isn't
    as good as with a CRT.
    Marcel

    Celcius, Jul 20, 2005

  3. Bill Hilton Guest

    > Matt Del Vecchio writes ...
    >
    >is it because this is a ".ICM" and not a ".ICC"
    >file? are they the same things?

    ..icc and .icm are both legal suffixes so that's not the problem.

    >"The selected profile is not a legal RGB display profile"

    There are several different classes of profiles, with different tags
    etc required ... basically both Windows and AG are saying that this is
    not a valid monitor profile, for whatever reason. This is not uncommon
    :)

    >trying to use Adobe Gamma to calibrate the monitor. from the book ive
    >read, the first step is to begin by loading the monitor's provided ICC
    >profile as a starting point

    I would just go with whatever profile is available to start with, even
    if it's a default, and not worry about trying to load this supplied
    profile. As soon as Gamma finishes it will default to using the Gamma
    generated profile anyway so it's not a big deal. You might run Gamma
    twice in succession since the second time thru you should be pretty
    well all setup right from the first pass.

    >i thought i would do some poor-man's
    >calibration, via Adobe's Gamma tool

    As Celcius points out, Gamma isn't especially accurate for LCD monitors
    so you should be better off than with nothing but it's unlikely to give
    an exact match. Even with CRT monitors Gamma has some problems, mainly
    because a couple of the key measurements are done by eye-balling
    instead of more accurately with a colorimeter or puck. But it's worth
    a shot, you can't really mess anything up.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jul 20, 2005
  4. Markeau Guest

    The profile is "bad" as far as Adobe Gamma and PS is concerned. Same
    thing happens with every Samsung 17x lcd profile the last 3 or 4 years
    (I've tried them all, and all give the same error). So I experimented
    using various free/trial monitor profile generators as well as the
    ones provided with PS and XP. I found starting with a standard sRGB
    profile worked fine, so I have not needed to purchase a professional
    profile generator package, yet.

    You should have a sRGB profile so use that with Adobe Gamma, if using
    XP it would be named something like
    sRGB Color Space Profile.icm
    .... and would be located in
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color

    Note that Adobe has a newsserver at adobeforums.com ... you can search
    the adobe.colormanagement ng for more info about color management

    Markeau, Jul 21, 2005
  5. Guest

    thanks for the feedback. my new understanding is, the manu's supplied
    monitor profile is only marginally useful, but if you plan to use AG to
    tweak things at all then it's really a moot point.

    ill try the rgb as a base.

    but on AG and lcds....this seems strange. seeing as so many non-pro
    users (especially mac) use lcds, why wouldnt adobe want to provide
    non-crt users w/ a similar tool?

    matt

    , Jul 21, 2005