    Thanks,
    Miha.

    , Apr 18, 2006

  2. On 18 Apr 2006 13:41:07 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi!
    >
    >Are there any [free] ICM-Aware picture/image/photo viewers out there? I
    >have just calibrated my monitor and now only Photoshop supports color
    >management.
    >
    >Are there any free programs, like IrfanView, that support color
    >management, namely monitor profiles?
    >
    >Thanks,
    > Miha.

    Hello, Miha.

    I think you've asked a very good question.
    I'm a bit puzzled myself. But it's late...

    AFAIK, hardware monitor profilers usually perform
    both calibration and profiling -- two different tasks.

    I can rationalize part of it by noting that *calibration*
    works independently of color management.

    But even so, I'm not sure how my image viewer
    (XnView) accounts for the fact that the image is
    in AdobeRGB.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    Raphael Bustin, Apr 19, 2006

  3. bmoag Guest

    What you see on your monitor is what you see on your monitor.
    A calibration program, e.g. Monaco or Spyder, inserts itself into the video
    card driver before any program shows you anything.
    Many programs will open tif, jpeg and even psd files as long as they are
    recorded in a recognizable manner, which primarily means sRGB or AdobeRGB.
    I am not aware of any programs that will recognize a tiff file that
    Photoshop records with a non-standard profile like LAB or CMYK.
    Why you would want a cheapie program to view or interconvert unusual
    profiles, which may cause irreversible loss of data from the image by the
    conversion, is something I do not understand.

    bmoag, Apr 19, 2006
  4. On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 03:00:49 GMT, "bmoag" <> wrote:

    >What you see on your monitor is what you see on your monitor.
    >A calibration program, e.g. Monaco or Spyder, inserts itself into the video
    >card driver before any program shows you anything.
    >Many programs will open tif, jpeg and even psd files as long as they are
    >recorded in a recognizable manner, which primarily means sRGB or AdobeRGB.
    >I am not aware of any programs that will recognize a tiff file that
    >Photoshop records with a non-standard profile like LAB or CMYK.
    >Why you would want a cheapie program to view or interconvert unusual
    >profiles, which may cause irreversible loss of data from the image by the
    >conversion, is something I do not understand.

    I'm with you except for this part: does the viewer
    read the image file's workspace tag and adjust
    the RGB values accordingly?

    In what way would an AdobeRGB file be treated
    differently from an sRGB file?

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    Raphael Bustin, Apr 19, 2006
  5. jimbok Guest

    On 18 Apr 2006 13:41:07 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi!
    >
    >Are there any [free] ICM-Aware picture/image/photo viewers out there? I
    >have just calibrated my monitor and now only Photoshop supports color
    >management.
    >
    >Are there any free programs, like IrfanView, that support color
    >management, namely monitor profiles?

    Faststone image viewer supports color management and works for jpeg
    and tiff files that have embedded profiles. I am currently running
    v2.5b2. A very nice feature rich free viewer, I might add.
    www.faststone.org
    --
    jimbok

    jimbok, Apr 19, 2006
  6. Guest

    jimbok, thanks for the tip.

    Raphael, I will also take a look at XnView, if it is ICM aware.

    Thanks,
    Miha.

    ps: bmoag, I don't use Photoshop to browse through my images. That's
    why I need a small, fast viewer, which can handle the embedded profile,
    mostly in jpeg images. And the profile is usually Adobe98 or sRGB. And
    represent the colors the way they should be. If the picture needs
    adjustments, then I would pull it into Photoshtop for editing.

    , Apr 19, 2006
  7. On 19 Apr 2006 06:05:50 -0700, wrote:

    >jimbok, thanks for the tip.
    >
    >Raphael, I will also take a look at XnView, if it is ICM aware.

    As far as I can tell, it is *not*. But I still use it.

    I can't speak for other image browsers. jimbok
    says Faststone is ICC-aware. I have that also,
    but I'm less familiar with it. Like XnView, it's free.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    Raphael Bustin, Apr 19, 2006
  8. jimbok Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 09:29:02 -0400, Raphael Bustin <>
    wrote:

    >I can't speak for other image browsers. jimbok
    >says Faststone is ICC-aware. I have that also,
    >but I'm less familiar with it. Like XnView, it's free.

    I should have mentioned that you have to turn on color management in
    Faststone's "settings" menu. It is not the default setting.
    --
    jimbok

    jimbok, Apr 19, 2006
  9. Stacey Guest

    Raphael Bustin wrote:

    > I'm with you except for this part: does the viewer
    > read the image file's workspace tag and adjust
    > the RGB values accordingly?
    >
    > In what way would an AdobeRGB file be treated
    > differently from an sRGB file?

    You're right, the monitor profile is used by the OS for EVERY application
    once it's calibrated but most viewers assume the image is sRGB and don't
    understand or even look at the color tags so aRGB images aren't displayed
    correctly, they are displayed like they were sRGB ones.

    That's why I tell people I teach, if you don't understand color management
    well or really need aRGB, stick with sRGB. It makes life a lot less
    complex!

    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Apr 20, 2006
  10. axelriet

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Actually, neither FastStore, nor XnView, nor IrfanView are properly color-managed. They all pretend to be but really are not as they don't support monitor profiles and only convert images to sRGB, moreover at an enormous performance expense. Images won't display correctly if you happen to have a profiled display (most new computers, especially laptops, comes with a custom display profile nowadays).

    The only fully-color managed freeware app in existence today (2009) is FastPictureViewer (fastpictureviewer.com). It also has photographer-oriented features such as Adobe XMP rating functions and can use your GPU and multicore CPU for hardware accelerated performance, making everything else look slow in comparison. The Pro version (not free) does instant raw preview with full color-management for some popular raw formats, and supports tethered shooting.

    axelriet, Apr 7, 2009