    Perhaps that will encourage government to move quickly to regulate the
    rampant telco monopoly that is holding all of us back.

    Philip
    Philip, Mar 26, 2006

  2. Philip

    Richard Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > Interesting to see on TVNZ news tonight that ICANN members in Wellington
    > for the organisation's conference have already commented critically on
    > the low speeds and high cost of broadband in NZ.
    >
    > Perhaps that will encourage government to move quickly to regulate the
    > rampant telco monopoly that is holding all of us back.

    And perhaps now the people who were complaining about the cost of bringing them
    here will stop complaining... :)
    Richard, Mar 26, 2006

  3. Philip

    Mutlley Guest

    Philip <> wrote:

    >Interesting to see on TVNZ news tonight that ICANN members in Wellington
    > for the organisation's conference have already commented critically on
    >the low speeds and high cost of broadband in NZ.
    >
    >Perhaps that will encourage government to move quickly to regulate the
    >rampant telco monopoly that is holding all of us back.
    >
    >Philip

    From memory most were complaining about the cost of hotel BB. Last
    time I went to CHCH and stayed in a hotel I took one look at the cost
    and used my dial up modem.. Think Telecom are sharks these hotels
    are the great white of Jaws fame..
    Mutlley, Mar 26, 2006
  4. Philip

    jedmeister Guest

    "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    > Philip <> wrote:
    >
    >>Interesting to see on TVNZ news tonight that ICANN members in Wellington
    >> for the organisation's conference have already commented critically on
    >>the low speeds and high cost of broadband in NZ.
    >>
    >>Perhaps that will encourage government to move quickly to regulate the
    >>rampant telco monopoly that is holding all of us back.
    >>
    >>Philip

    > From memory most were complaining about the cost of hotel BB. Last
    > time I went to CHCH and stayed in a hotel I took one look at the cost
    > and used my dial up modem.. Think Telecom are sharks these hotels
    > are the great white of Jaws fame..

    Australian hotels are terrible for broadband too - I rang one, asked if they
    had internet connections in the rooms and they said yes.

    Turned up, and their definition of 'internet' connection was a phone jack
    which you could use your dial-up modem.
    jedmeister, Mar 26, 2006
  5. Philip

    Katipo Guest

    "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    > Philip <> wrote:
    >
    >>Interesting to see on TVNZ news tonight that ICANN members in Wellington
    >> for the organisation's conference have already commented critically on
    >>the low speeds and high cost of broadband in NZ.
    >>
    >>Perhaps that will encourage government to move quickly to regulate the
    >>rampant telco monopoly that is holding all of us back.
    >>
    >>Philip

    > From memory most were complaining about the cost of hotel BB. Last
    > time I went to CHCH and stayed in a hotel I took one look at the cost
    > and used my dial up modem.. Think Telecom are sharks these hotels
    > are the great white of Jaws fame..

    Hotels everywhere charge like a wounded bull for "extras" such as telephone
    calls, internet, in room booze etc.
    Katipo, Mar 26, 2006
  6. Philip

    Guest

    including hookers, ask the night porter
    , Mar 26, 2006
  7. On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:36:02 +1200, Mutlley wrote:

    > Think Telecom are sharks these hotels
    > are the great white of Jaws fame..

    This has been done to death already.

    If, in order to provide a service used by a minority of guests, you need
    to purchase it at already inflated commercial prices from an ISP, and then
    provide the distribution infrastructure to a large number of rooms along
    with the means to monitor and account for it, AND on top of all that
    actually make a profit from it, then OF COURSE it will be expensive to use
    broadband in a hotel.

    Let's face it - all things in hotels are more expensive than elsewhere.

    Prices in hotels will still be higher than elsewere even if the cost of
    broadband to the public was reduced to something actually close to
    reasonable.

    That's just the nature of the business of taking in paying guests.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Jeffrey Jaffe, Novell CTO: "Our entire company does most of its work on Linux."
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 27, 2006
  8. Philip

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Katipo" <> wrote in message

    > "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    >> Philip <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Interesting to see on TVNZ news tonight that ICANN members in Wellington
    >>> for the organisation's conference have already commented critically on
    >>>the low speeds and high cost of broadband in NZ.
    >>>
    >>>Perhaps that will encourage government to move quickly to regulate the
    >>>rampant telco monopoly that is holding all of us back.
    >>>
    >>>Philip

    >> From memory most were complaining about the cost of hotel BB. Last
    >> time I went to CHCH and stayed in a hotel I took one look at the cost
    >> and used my dial up modem.. Think Telecom are sharks these hotels
    >> are the great white of Jaws fame..

    > Hotels everywhere charge like a wounded bull for "extras" such as
    > telephone calls, internet, in room booze etc.

    Everywhere? Most Hotels in USA have unlimited free BB. It's as common as
    expecting a room to have a window.

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, Mar 27, 2006
  9. Philip

    s.t.e.v.e. Guest

    Philip wrote:

    > Interesting to see on TVNZ news tonight that ICANN members in Wellington
    > for the organisation's conference have already commented critically on
    > the low speeds and high cost of broadband in NZ.
    >
    > Perhaps that will encourage government to move quickly to regulate the
    > rampant telco monopoly that is holding all of us back.
    >
    > Philip

    Agreed.

    Blind faith in the market has proven once again to be unfounded.

    Never mistake the desire for profit as equating to getting the right job
    done quickly and well.

    Too often it means profit.....and the job not done or the wrong job done
    altogether - though profitably.
    s.t.e.v.e., Mar 27, 2006
  10. On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:34:28 +1200, Kent Smith wrote:

    >> Hotels everywhere charge like a wounded bull for "extras" such as
    >> telephone calls, internet, in room booze etc.
    >>

    > Everywhere? Most Hotels in USA have unlimited free BB. It's as common as
    > expecting a room to have a window.

    Businesses in the USA don't have to pay $800/month +GST + data for full
    speed ADSL.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    "Vista - I wouldn't buy it with someone else's money. Then again What do I
    know, I've only been testing the dog for the last 2-3 yrs..."
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 27, 2006
  11. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    Katipo exclaimed:
    > Hotels everywhere charge like a wounded bull for "extras" such as telephone
    > calls, internet, in room booze etc.

    Indeed. Stay in Italy recently: 100 euros for 7 days of Wifi.
    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    Aaron Lawrence, Mar 27, 2006
  12. Philip

    Bette Noir Guest

    On , , 26 Mar 2006 14:21:08 -0800, Re: ICANN members shocked at
    NZ fraudband, "" <>
    wrote:

    >including hookers, ask the night porter

    Isn't "Have a nice cup of tea" a night porter?

    ---
    Bette Noir, Mar 28, 2006
  13. Philip

    David Guest

    Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    > On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    > Katipo exclaimed:
    >> Hotels everywhere charge like a wounded bull for "extras" such as telephone
    >> calls, internet, in room booze etc.

    > Indeed. Stay in Italy recently: 100 euros for 7 days of Wifi.

    Heh when I was in Rome there were about 5 wireless networks available
    from my room (all people's private connections), 2 of them were
    unsecured and were connected to very fast cable connections, on one of
    them windows netbios found another machine, I couldn't resist the
    temptation to browse its unsecured shares but nod32 very quickly found
    viruses amongst its files so I quickly disabled windows file sharing on
    my wireless connection and wondered why it was enabled in the first place...
    David, Mar 28, 2006