    I tried using the Mac version of Explorer - Finder? - but it can't
    even see photos in the iPhoto folders.

    Hoping some Mac user can help us out ... ?
    Sue Bilstein, Jan 6, 2007

  2. Sue Bilstein

    Fred Guest

    "Sue Bilstein" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I gave my parents our old digital camera for Xmas - their first
    > digital. Dad has an iBook. It has a product called iPhoto which
    > starts automatically when I connect the camera. This seems to be a
    > good image processing tool, EXCEPT that I can't work out how to
    > transfer photos from iPhoto back into the camera (e.g. to take the good
    > ones to the chemist to get prints).
    >
    > Does anyone know how to do this job, in iPhoto?
    >
    > I installed the proprietary software (Camedia Master for Olympus) - but
    > it doesn't seem to have any way to transfer photos back into the camera
    > either, and it's clunky compared to iPhoto.
    >
    > I tried using the Mac version of Explorer - Finder? - but it can't
    > even see photos in the iPhoto folders.
    >
    > Hoping some Mac user can help us out ... ?

    It might have more to do with the camera that the computer. I know my camera
    won't accept back photos from a PC if they have been renamed.
    Fred, Jan 6, 2007

  3. Sue Bilstein

    E. Scrooge Guest

    >I gave my parents our old digital camera for Xmas - their first
    > digital. Dad has an iBook. It has a product called iPhoto which
    > starts automatically when I connect the camera. This seems to be a
    > good image processing tool, EXCEPT that I can't work out how to
    > transfer photos from iPhoto back into the camera (e.g. to take the good
    > ones to the chemist to get prints).
    >
    > Does anyone know how to do this job, in iPhoto?
    >
    > I installed the proprietary software (Camedia Master for Olympus) - but
    > it doesn't seem to have any way to transfer photos back into the camera
    > either, and it's clunky compared to iPhoto.
    >
    > I tried using the Mac version of Explorer - Finder? - but it can't
    > even see photos in the iPhoto folders.
    >
    > Hoping some Mac user can help us out ... ?

    Buy a cheap Canon printer and print your own. You can crop and edit them to
    suit. Some indoor shots with the flash may need to be slightly brighter.
    Premium glossy paper from the Wareehouse is of a very good quality and cheap
    enough.

    Otherwise you could put the photos on a CD and take that along to have the
    photos printed from.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jan 6, 2007
  4. Sue Bilstein

    Philip Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > "Sue Bilstein" <> wrote in message
    >> I gave my parents our old digital camera for Xmas - their first
    >> digital. Dad has an iBook. It has a product called iPhoto which
    >> starts automatically when I connect the camera. This seems to be a
    >> good image processing tool, EXCEPT that I can't work out how to
    >> transfer photos from iPhoto back into the camera (e.g. to take the good
    >> ones to the chemist to get prints).
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how to do this job, in iPhoto?
    >>
    >> I installed the proprietary software (Camedia Master for Olympus) - but
    >> it doesn't seem to have any way to transfer photos back into the camera
    >> either, and it's clunky compared to iPhoto.
    >>
    >> I tried using the Mac version of Explorer - Finder? - but it can't
    >> even see photos in the iPhoto folders.
    >>
    >> Hoping some Mac user can help us out ... ?

    > Buy a cheap Canon printer and print your own. You can crop and edit them to
    > suit. Some indoor shots with the flash may need to be slightly brighter.
    > Premium glossy paper from the Wareehouse is of a very good quality and cheap
    > enough.
    >
    > Otherwise you could put the photos on a CD and take that along to have the
    > photos printed from.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    I don't know anything about Macs, but on my Ubuntu machines, and on my
    son's Thinkpad running Windows XP, a connected camera appears as an
    additional drive, called something like CASIO. or on the Thinkpad it
    gets the next available drive letter. Would a useful answer be to bypass
    the camera's supplied software and just write to the flash memory using
    the OS, as if it were another drive? Maybe you need specifically to
    mount a drive or folder in MAC OS, perhaps by closing down the iPhoto
    function and letting the OS do its USB recognition thing?

    BICBW.

    Philip
    Philip, Jan 6, 2007
  5. Sue Bilstein

    bharmer Guest

    On 6 Jan 2007 00:28:25 -0800, "Sue Bilstein" <>
    wrote:

    >I gave my parents our old digital camera for Xmas - their first
    >digital. Dad has an iBook. It has a product called iPhoto which
    >starts automatically when I connect the camera. This seems to be a
    >good image processing tool, EXCEPT that I can't work out how to
    >transfer photos from iPhoto back into the camera (e.g. to take the good
    >ones to the chemist to get prints).
    >
    >Does anyone know how to do this job, in iPhoto?
    >
    >I installed the proprietary software (Camedia Master for Olympus) - but
    >it doesn't seem to have any way to transfer photos back into the camera
    >either, and it's clunky compared to iPhoto.
    >
    >I tried using the Mac version of Explorer - Finder? - but it can't
    >even see photos in the iPhoto folders.
    >
    >Hoping some Mac user can help us out ... ?

    Why force it back to the camera? There are processors who can receive
    emailed files (here in NZ, Digitalmax does it well), and most can cope
    with files on CDs or any variety of flash card or USB memory stick.
    bharmer, Jan 6, 2007
  6. Sue Bilstein

    Tilly Guest

    Sue Bilstein wrote:
    > I gave my parents our old digital camera for Xmas - their first
    > digital. Dad has an iBook. It has a product called iPhoto which
    > starts automatically when I connect the camera. This seems to be a
    > good image processing tool, EXCEPT that I can't work out how to
    > transfer photos from iPhoto back into the camera (e.g. to take the
    > good ones to the chemist to get prints).
    >
    > Does anyone know how to do this job, in iPhoto?
    >
    > I installed the proprietary software (Camedia Master for Olympus) -
    > but it doesn't seem to have any way to transfer photos back into the
    > camera either, and it's clunky compared to iPhoto.
    >
    > I tried using the Mac version of Explorer - Finder? - but it can't
    > even see photos in the iPhoto folders.
    >
    > Hoping some Mac user can help us out ... ?

    The easist thing to do Sue is to transfer the pics to a CD and take the CD
    for processing.

    Tilly, Jan 6, 2007
  7. In <> Sue Bilstein
    wrote:
    > I gave my parents our old digital camera for Xmas - their first
    > digital. Dad has an iBook. It has a product called iPhoto which
    > starts automatically when I connect the camera. This seems to be a
    > good image processing tool, EXCEPT that I can't work out how to
    > transfer photos from iPhoto back into the camera (e.g. to take the
    > good ones to the chemist to get prints).
    >
    > Does anyone know how to do this job, in iPhoto?
    >
    > I installed the proprietary software (Camedia Master for Olympus) -
    > but it doesn't seem to have any way to transfer photos back into the
    > camera either, and it's clunky compared to iPhoto.
    >
    > I tried using the Mac version of Explorer - Finder? - but it can't
    > even see photos in the iPhoto folders.
    >
    > Hoping some Mac user can help us out ... ?

    Switch to the Finder, select the menu Go -> Computer. This will open a
    window showing all the mounted volumes, hopefully including the camera
    card. Open the camera card. In iPhoto drag the photos from iPhoto's
    window to the camera card's window in the Finder.

    If you want more control you can use iPhoto's menu command File ->
    Export..., which will let you pick the format, resize the pictures, and
    choose an export location.

    --
    * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    Roger Johnstone, Jan 6, 2007
  8. Sue Bilstein

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Philip" <> wrote in message
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >> "Sue Bilstein" <> wrote in message
    >>> I gave my parents our old digital camera for Xmas - their first
    >>> digital. Dad has an iBook. It has a product called iPhoto which
    >>> starts automatically when I connect the camera. This seems to be a
    >>> good image processing tool, EXCEPT that I can't work out how to
    >>> transfer photos from iPhoto back into the camera (e.g. to take the good
    >>> ones to the chemist to get prints).
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know how to do this job, in iPhoto?
    >>>
    >>> I installed the proprietary software (Camedia Master for Olympus) - but
    >>> it doesn't seem to have any way to transfer photos back into the camera
    >>> either, and it's clunky compared to iPhoto.
    >>>
    >>> I tried using the Mac version of Explorer - Finder? - but it can't
    >>> even see photos in the iPhoto folders.
    >>>
    >>> Hoping some Mac user can help us out ... ?

    >> Buy a cheap Canon printer and print your own. You can crop and edit them
    >> to suit. Some indoor shots with the flash may need to be slightly
    >> brighter.
    >> Premium glossy paper from the Wareehouse is of a very good quality and
    >> cheap enough.
    >>
    >> Otherwise you could put the photos on a CD and take that along to have
    >> the photos printed from.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > I don't know anything about Macs, but on my Ubuntu machines, and on my
    > son's Thinkpad running Windows XP, a connected camera appears as an
    > additional drive, called something like CASIO. or on the Thinkpad it gets
    > the next available drive letter. Would a useful answer be to bypass the
    > camera's supplied software and just write to the flash memory using the
    > OS, as if it were another drive? Maybe you need specifically to mount a
    > drive or folder in MAC OS, perhaps by closing down the iPhoto function and
    > letting the OS do its USB recognition thing?
    >
    > BICBW.
    >
    > Philip

    Only some brands of cameras are able to be like a Flash drive. I've sent
    files to my Olympus and it's kept the original file names.
    Among cameras that don't are Canon, but it's no big deal. In Sue's case the
    pictures don't have to be sent back to the camera onto it's own memory card,
    the edited pictures can be put onto a CD. Best not to bugger round with
    folders but have the pictures straight onto the directory of the CD. The
    places doing the printing will advise how best to have the pictures on the
    CD if need be.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jan 6, 2007
  9. On 6 Jan 2007 00:28:25 -0800, Sue Bilstein wrote:

    > I gave my parents our old digital camera for Xmas - their first
    > digital. Dad has an iBook. It has a product called iPhoto which
    > starts automatically when I connect the camera. This seems to be a
    > good image processing tool, EXCEPT that I can't work out how to
    > transfer photos from iPhoto back into the camera (e.g. to take the good
    > ones to the chemist to get prints).
    >
    > Does anyone know how to do this job, in iPhoto?
    >
    > I installed the proprietary software (Camedia Master for Olympus) - but
    > it doesn't seem to have any way to transfer photos back into the camera
    > either, and it's clunky compared to iPhoto.
    >
    > I tried using the Mac version of Explorer - Finder? - but it can't
    > even see photos in the iPhoto folders.
    >
    > Hoping some Mac user can help us out ... ?

    If it is anything like some Canon camera's then the flash card in the
    camera won't appear as a drive you could write to (e.g. drag and drop using
    the finder). You have to use the maker's software. Or you can just get a
    cheap USB card reader and pop the media out of the camera, into the
    reader....
    wogers nemesis, Jan 6, 2007
  10. Sue Bilstein

    bharmer Guest

    On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 01:31:40 +1300, wogers nemesis <>
    wrote:

    >On 6 Jan 2007 00:28:25 -0800, Sue Bilstein wrote:
    >
    >> I gave my parents our old digital camera for Xmas - their first
    >> digital. Dad has an iBook. It has a product called iPhoto which
    >> starts automatically when I connect the camera. This seems to be a
    >> good image processing tool, EXCEPT that I can't work out how to
    >> transfer photos from iPhoto back into the camera (e.g. to take the good
    >> ones to the chemist to get prints).
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how to do this job, in iPhoto?
    >>
    >> I installed the proprietary software (Camedia Master for Olympus) - but
    >> it doesn't seem to have any way to transfer photos back into the camera
    >> either, and it's clunky compared to iPhoto.
    >>
    >> I tried using the Mac version of Explorer - Finder? - but it can't
    >> even see photos in the iPhoto folders.
    >>
    >> Hoping some Mac user can help us out ... ?

    >If it is anything like some Canon camera's then the flash card in the
    >camera won't appear as a drive you could write to (e.g. drag and drop using
    >the finder). You have to use the maker's software. Or you can just get a
    >cheap USB card reader and pop the media out of the camera, into the
    >reader....

    A course I took on digital photogrphy suggested that most of the
    propietary transfer programs had disadvantages. The tutor suggested
    that the quickest and easiest way to transfer images was by putting
    the camera's memory card into a multifunction card reader (they cost
    about $25 in NZ) and then just manipulating the images between
    folders.
    bharmer, Jan 6, 2007
  11. Sue Bilstein

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    Roger Johnstone wrote:
    > In <> Sue Bilstein
    > wrote:
    > > I gave my parents our old digital camera for Xmas - their first
    > > digital. Dad has an iBook. It has a product called iPhoto which
    > > starts automatically when I connect the camera. This seems to be a
    > > good image processing tool, EXCEPT that I can't work out how to
    > > transfer photos from iPhoto back into the camera (e.g. to take the
    > > good ones to the chemist to get prints).
    > >
    > > Does anyone know how to do this job, in iPhoto?

    > > Hoping some Mac user can help us out ... ?

    > Switch to the Finder, select the menu Go -> Computer. This will open a
    > window showing all the mounted volumes, hopefully including the camera
    > card. Open the camera card. In iPhoto drag the photos from iPhoto's
    > window to the camera card's window in the Finder.

    Thanks Roger, this solved the problem for me. Mind you I was
    handicapped by basic ignorance of Mac syntax, see below...

    > If you want more control you can use iPhoto's menu command File ->
    > Export..., which will let you pick the format, resize the pictures, and
    > choose an export location.

    I was racking my brains over this instruction - "Where is the menu for
    iPhoto? The window has no menu, just some icon and button navigation
    stuff!" - when my Dad showed me that the top menu bar shows the menu
    for whatever window is currently active. LOL!
    Sue Bilstein, Jan 6, 2007
  12. Sue Bilstein

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    E. Scrooge (*sling) wrote:

    > Only some brands of cameras are able to be like a Flash drive. I've sent
    > files to my Olympus and it's kept the original file names.
    > Among cameras that don't are Canon, but it's no big deal. In Sue's case the
    > pictures don't have to be sent back to the camera onto it's own memory card,
    > the edited pictures can be put onto a CD. Best not to bugger round with
    > folders but have the pictures straight onto the directory of the CD. The
    > places doing the printing will advise how best to have the pictures on the
    > CD if need be.

    I'm not sure that they have a CD writer... Actually Dad says he thinks
    he does, but he's never used it. Anyway, Roger has explained how to
    drag photos from iPhoto back onto the camera, so we're right for now.
    Sue Bilstein, Jan 6, 2007
  13. In message <>, Sue
    Bilstein wrote:

    > I was racking my brains over this instruction - "Where is the menu for
    > iPhoto? The window has no menu, just some icon and button navigation
    > stuff!" - when my Dad showed me that the top menu bar shows the menu
    > for whatever window is currently active. LOL!

    There is a well-known principle to user-interface experts, called Fitts'
    Law, which in effect says that a Mac-style menu bar right at the top of the
    screen is about five times quicker to get to than a menu bar at the top of
    each window <http://www.asktog.com/columns/022DesignedToGiveFitts.html>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 6, 2007
  14. In message <>, Sue
    Bilstein wrote:

    > I'm not sure that they have a CD writer... Actually Dad says he thinks
    > he does, but he's never used it.

    1) Isn't there one built into the iBook?
    2) If they don't write CDs, how do they do their backups?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 6, 2007
  15. Sue Bilstein

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Sue
    > Bilstein wrote:
    >
    > > I'm not sure that they have a CD writer... Actually Dad says he thinks
    > > he does, but he's never used it.

    > 1) Isn't there one built into the iBook?

    Apparently not. When I try "Burn CD" from iPhoto, it says "No devices
    are available for burning."

    > 2) If they don't write CDs, how do they do their backups?

    Tu blagues, non?
    Sue Bilstein, Jan 6, 2007
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > 2) If they don't write CDs, how do they do their backups?

    Apple computers are perfect therefore backups are unnecessary.
    Mark Robinson, Jan 6, 2007
  17. Sue Bilstein

    Enkidu Guest

    Sue Bilstein wrote:
    > I gave my parents our old digital camera for Xmas - their first
    > digital. Dad has an iBook. It has a product called iPhoto which
    > starts automatically when I connect the camera. This seems to be a
    > good image processing tool, EXCEPT that I can't work out how to
    > transfer photos from iPhoto back into the camera (e.g. to take the good
    > ones to the chemist to get prints).
    >
    > Does anyone know how to do this job, in iPhoto?
    >
    > I installed the proprietary software (Camedia Master for Olympus) - but
    > it doesn't seem to have any way to transfer photos back into the camera
    > either, and it's clunky compared to iPhoto.
    >
    > I tried using the Mac version of Explorer - Finder? - but it can't
    > even see photos in the iPhoto folders.
    >
    > Hoping some Mac user can help us out ... ?

    When I want pictures printed I transfer them to a USB pen-drive and take
    it to the chemist. But my Olympus lets me treat the camera/smartcard
    like a USB drive anyway.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Jan 6, 2007
  18. Sue Bilstein

    David Empson Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > In message <>, Sue
    > Bilstein wrote:
    >
    > > I'm not sure that they have a CD writer... Actually Dad says he thinks
    > > he does, but he's never used it.

    > 1) Isn't there one built into the iBook?
    > 2) If they don't write CDs, how do they do their backups?

    The first two iBook models (1999 and 2000) didn't have a CD writer as an
    option. The mid 2001 model introduced it as an expensive option, also a
    top-end option for a "combo" drive: DVD-ROM/CD-RW. I had this
    generation, but I bought the cheaper model with the DVD-ROM drive. The
    only way to do backups was an external CD writer, network connection to
    another computer (which I used) or something like a Zip drive (which I
    also had).

    By 2002, the Combo drive (CD-RW/DVD-ROM) was getting cheaper, so it
    appeared in all but the cheapest models, but it wasn't standard in all
    iBook models until late 2003.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Jan 7, 2007
  19. Sue Bilstein

    Blue Guest

    On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 08:24:47 +1300, bharmer wrote:

    > On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 01:31:40 +1300, wogers nemesis <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On 6 Jan 2007 00:28:25 -0800, Sue Bilstein wrote:
    >>
    >>> I gave my parents our old digital camera for Xmas - their first
    >>> digital. Dad has an iBook. It has a product called iPhoto which
    >>> starts automatically when I connect the camera. This seems to be a
    >>> good image processing tool, EXCEPT that I can't work out how to
    >>> transfer photos from iPhoto back into the camera (e.g. to take the good
    >>> ones to the chemist to get prints).
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know how to do this job, in iPhoto?
    >>>
    >>> I installed the proprietary software (Camedia Master for Olympus) - but
    >>> it doesn't seem to have any way to transfer photos back into the camera
    >>> either, and it's clunky compared to iPhoto.
    >>>
    >>> I tried using the Mac version of Explorer - Finder? - but it can't
    >>> even see photos in the iPhoto folders.
    >>>
    >>> Hoping some Mac user can help us out ... ?

    >>If it is anything like some Canon camera's then the flash card in the
    >>camera won't appear as a drive you could write to (e.g. drag and drop using
    >>the finder). You have to use the maker's software. Or you can just get a
    >>cheap USB card reader and pop the media out of the camera, into the
    >>reader....

    > A course I took on digital photogrphy suggested that most of the
    > propietary transfer programs had disadvantages. The tutor suggested
    > that the quickest and easiest way to transfer images was by putting
    > the camera's memory card into a multifunction card reader (they cost
    > about $25 in NZ) and then just manipulating the images between
    > folders.

    Yes! Cameras take photos. A memory card is a mass storage device.

    Use camera to take photos and remove the memory card to
    download/upload/etc. Do buy a memory card reader, for it also writes ;-)
    Which is what you want.
    Blue, Jan 7, 2007
  20. Sue Bilstein

    Peter Ashby Guest

    Enkidu <> wrote:

    > Sue Bilstein wrote:
    > > I gave my parents our old digital camera for Xmas - their first
    > > digital. Dad has an iBook. It has a product called iPhoto which
    > > starts automatically when I connect the camera. This seems to be a
    > > good image processing tool, EXCEPT that I can't work out how to
    > > transfer photos from iPhoto back into the camera (e.g. to take the good
    > > ones to the chemist to get prints).
    > >
    > > Does anyone know how to do this job, in iPhoto?
    > >
    > > I installed the proprietary software (Camedia Master for Olympus) - but
    > > it doesn't seem to have any way to transfer photos back into the camera
    > > either, and it's clunky compared to iPhoto.
    > >
    > > I tried using the Mac version of Explorer - Finder? - but it can't
    > > even see photos in the iPhoto folders.
    > >
    > > Hoping some Mac user can help us out ... ?
    > >

    > When I want pictures printed I transfer them to a USB pen-drive and take
    > it to the chemist. But my Olympus lets me treat the camera/smartcard
    > like a USB drive anyway.

    Fuji cameras work the same way, at least on a Mac.

    Peter

    Peter Ashby, Jan 7, 2007