    iBook, and my sister's 500 MHz. The materials look cheaper, and the
    manufacturing tolerances lower (things like panel gaps, how screws align
    up under the keyboard etc.). I hope the trend doesn't continue.
    Project Mayhem, Jul 20, 2003

  2. Project Mayhem wrote:
    > I could smell burning plastic, the top left corner was way hotter than
    > usual, and it wouldn't wake up or boot when I forced a restart. The fan
    > was blowing hard, I never noticed it had a fan before. It came right
    > later after I started up from a CD, probably just a coincidence though.
    >
    > Is this to be expected occasionally, and the computer's normal defence
    > mechanism? Would you get it looked at or not? If I'm going to be told
    > nothing's wrong with it, I don't want the inconvenience of being without
    > it for that period.
    >
    > BTW, there's a noticeable drop in the quality between my recent 900 MHz
    > iBook, and my sister's 500 MHz. The materials look cheaper, and the
    > manufacturing tolerances lower (things like panel gaps, how screws align
    > up under the keyboard etc.). I hope the trend doesn't continue.

    Never mind. After a bit of research, I found the reason. My latch is
    broken (it comes out very slowly, I think I splashed some liquid in
    there) and the swtich is in there isn't it? I must have closed it while
    it was still going, or it popped open a bit more and started going. I
    was putting off getting the latch reparied thinking I'll have to pay if
    there is soft drink goo in there or something. I assumed the switch was
    in the rocker at the bottom of the screen, and the latch didn't have
    much to do with it.
    Project Mayhem, Jul 20, 2003