IBm thinkpad wireless question

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Tracy, Apr 15, 2005.

  1. Tracy

    Tracy Guest

    Hi, I have an IBM thinkpad R40 Celeron (model# 2681 CTO) that I want to add
    to my home wireless network. It's wireless upgradable ready (the antenna
    wires are already installed and there is a mini pci slot) I've been looking
    at the IBM 31P9107 as it supports 802.11a/b/g. In trying to determine
    weather this card is compatable with my system I found the following
    information on the IBM USA site:

    On this page,
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-52623
    the information shows a compatability with the ThinkPad R40 Celeron and P4
    2681.

    but on this page,
    http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/s...d=-840&langId=-1&partNumber=31P9701&storeId=1
    the list of compatable laptops does not include the ThinkPad R40 Celeron and
    P4 2681.

    Anyone know which is true?
    Thanks,
    Tracy
    Tracy, Apr 15, 2005

  2. Tracy

    Malke Guest

    Tracy wrote:

    > Hi, I have an IBM thinkpad R40 Celeron (model# 2681 CTO) that I want
    > to add to my home wireless network. It's wireless upgradable ready
    > (the antenna wires are already installed and there is a mini pci slot)
    > I've been looking at the IBM 31P9107 as it supports 802.11a/b/g. In
    > trying to determine weather this card is compatable with my system I
    > found the following information on the IBM USA site:
    >
    > On this page,

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-52623
    > the information shows a compatability with the ThinkPad R40 Celeron
    > and P4 2681.
    >
    > but on this page,

    http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/s...d=-840&langId=-1&partNumber=31P9701&storeId=1
    > the list of compatable laptops does not include the ThinkPad R40
    > Celeron and P4 2681.
    >
    > Anyone know which is true?
    > Thanks,
    > Tracy

    The best thing to do is call IBM Tech Support - they will be able to
    tell you positively. IBM's Tech Support is excellent (I have a Thinkpad
    X31).

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Apr 16, 2005

  3. Tracy

    Tracy Guest

    "Malke" <> wrote in message
    > Tracy wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, I have an IBM thinkpad R40 Celeron (model# 2681 CTO) that I want
    >> to add to my home wireless network. It's wireless upgradable ready
    >> (the antenna wires are already installed and there is a mini pci slot)
    >> I've been looking at the IBM 31P9107 as it supports 802.11a/b/g. In
    >> trying to determine weather this card is compatable with my system I
    >> found the following information on the IBM USA site:
    >>
    >> On this page,
    >>

    > http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-52623
    >> the information shows a compatability with the ThinkPad R40 Celeron
    >> and P4 2681.
    >>
    >> but on this page,
    >>

    > http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/s...d=-840&langId=-1&partNumber=31P9701&storeId=1
    >> the list of compatable laptops does not include the ThinkPad R40
    >> Celeron and P4 2681.
    >>
    >> Anyone know which is true?
    >> Thanks,
    >> Tracy

    > The best thing to do is call IBM Tech Support - they will be able to
    > tell you positively. IBM's Tech Support is excellent (I have a Thinkpad
    > X31).
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > In Memoriam - MVP Alex Nichol
    > The world is diminished without him.

    I tried that today, unfortunately my R40 is out of warranty and the guy on
    the phone told me it would be between $180 and $540 for the tech guys to
    call me... ouch!

    Tracy
    Tracy, Apr 16, 2005
  4. Tracy

    Malke Guest

    Tracy wrote:

    > "Malke" <> wrote in message
    >> Tracy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi, I have an IBM thinkpad R40 Celeron (model# 2681 CTO) that I want
    >>> to add to my home wireless network. It's wireless upgradable ready
    >>> (the antenna wires are already installed and there is a mini pci
    >>> slot) I've been looking at the IBM 31P9107 as it supports
    >>> 802.11a/b/g. In trying to determine weather this card is compatable
    >>> with my system I found the following information on the IBM USA
    >>> site:
    >>>
    >>> On this page,

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-52623
    >>> the information shows a compatability with the ThinkPad R40 Celeron
    >>> and P4 2681.
    >>>
    >>> but on this page,

    http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/s...d=-840&langId=-1&partNumber=31P9701&storeId=1
    >>> the list of compatable laptops does not include the ThinkPad R40
    >>> Celeron and P4 2681.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know which is true?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Tracy

    >> The best thing to do is call IBM Tech Support - they will be able to
    >> tell you positively. IBM's Tech Support is excellent (I have a
    >> Thinkpad X31).

    > I tried that today, unfortunately my R40 is out of warranty and the
    > guy on the phone told me it would be between $180 and $540 for the
    > tech guys to call me... ouch!

    Ouch! That sucks. Can you call the IBM store and ask there? Otherwise,
    you'd probably do best to search using Google, look for Thinkpad user
    groups, mailing lists, that sort of thing. You might get an answer here
    from someone who has the exact same machine as you do, but your chances
    will be greater in a Thinkpad-specific venue. Good luck.

    Malke
    Malke, Apr 16, 2005