    qqq Guest

    What does anyone think about IBM think pad T series for a programmer?
    What about Dell?
    qqq, Aug 19, 2006

  2. qqq

    Plato Guest

    qqq wrote:

    > What does anyone think about IBM think pad T series for a programmer?
    > What about Dell?

    What did IBM say?
    What did Dell say?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 20, 2006

  3. qqq

    bmoag Guest

    Brand is not an issue other than for features like the feel and layout of
    the keyboard and warranty.
    Keyboard layout is variable between brands and between model lines in the
    same brand and can be an issue in usability, as can the tactile quality of
    the keyboard. I have used Dells for many years (word processing/spread
    sheets) and they are usable but kind of squishy. I have two Inspirons from
    different generations and the keyboard layouts are different for who knows
    what reason.
    Laptops are not that dissimilar under the surface.
    CPU: will you utilize the dual core? Probably necessary for programming into
    the future?
    Memory: can't have enough--a major determinant of laptop speed. It is much
    cheaper to add in an after market memory card than buy it with the computer,
    especially with Dell.
    Upgrade to the best quality screen you can afford--your eyes will thank you.
    Video: if you do play games and do not need that level of video power do you
    want to pay for a 3d game quality video system? If you play games accept
    nothing else.
    System weight: a major issue if you will be lugging this thing around.
    Laptops run hot, no matter what the manufacturer says, and if you use the
    machine intensively you may want to get a cooler that sits under the laptop.
    bmoag, Aug 20, 2006
  4. qqq

    qqq Guest

    bmoag wrote:
    > Brand is not an issue other than for features like the feel and layout of
    > the keyboard and warranty.
    > Keyboard layout is variable between brands and between model lines in the
    > same brand and can be an issue in usability, as can the tactile quality of
    > the keyboard. I have used Dells for many years (word processing/spread
    > sheets) and they are usable but kind of squishy. I have two Inspirons from
    > different generations and the keyboard layouts are different for who knows
    > what reason.

    > Laptops are not that dissimilar under the surface.
    > CPU: will you utilize the dual core? Probably necessary for programming into
    > the future?

    > Memory: can't have enough--a major determinant of laptop speed. It is much
    > cheaper to add in an after market memory card than buy it with the computer,
    > especially with Dell.

    I have a desktop. I need a laptop and I have an LCD monitor for desktop
    that I can use with laptop. I just want to find out which brand is most
    worthy of puting money is

    > Upgrade to the best quality screen you can afford--your eyes will thank you.
    > Video: if you do play games and do not need that level of video power do you
    > want to pay for a 3d game quality video system? If you play games accept
    > nothing else.
    > System weight: a major issue if you will be lugging this thing around.

    > Laptops run hot, no matter what the manufacturer says, and if you use the
    > machine intensively

    How long is intensively?

    > you may want to get a cooler that sits under the laptop.

    Thanks for this info.

    I stil want to know which brand I should spend money in for a laptop
    ...for programmer.
    qqq, Aug 21, 2006
  5. qqq

    Travis Guest

    I like Dell the best, I have two system I got from Dell and they have
    included software and a system restore so you don't have to format and
    re-install your drivers. My laptop has been formatted lots and is still a
    very good computer.

    For a programmer you would probably want something fast, for compiling and
    debugging. So They have some good speed Dell laptops.

    I don't have anything to say about IBM as I thougt they went out of business
    ALONG time ago. (1980)

    Travis, Aug 21, 2006