    periodically. I managed to do another recovery but now it won't boot at
    all; the lights come on briefly and that's all. No Internet or contact with
    other sources of viruses. Is it possible I hosed the CMOS battery?

    Thip, Sep 8, 2004

  2. Thip

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Thip" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > This is a laptop that was given to my daughter. It had a BIOS pw on it

    that
    > no one could remember, so I pulled the battery for a few minutes, then ran
    > the recovery (Win98). She loaded a few things on it, like Office 2000 and
    > The Sims. It started freezing after a few days, then refused to boot at

    all
    > periodically. I managed to do another recovery but now it won't boot at
    > all; the lights come on briefly and that's all. No Internet or contact

    with
    > other sources of viruses. Is it possible I hosed the CMOS battery?

    cmos battery saves your bios and clock settings.

    you have other problems unrelated to the cmos battery.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Sep 8, 2004

  3. Thip

    Thip Guest

    "127.0.0.1" <loopy@localhost> wrote in message

    > cmos battery saves your bios and clock settings.
    >
    > you have other problems unrelated to the cmos battery.
    >
    > -a|ex

    I think so too, but I've heard that Thinkpads can do strange things if the
    CMOS battery's bad. As I type this, I have the laptop sitting next to me.
    It booted up just fine and hasn't frozen in the last 30 minutes.

    Thip, Sep 8, 2004
  4. Thip

    Steven Moore Guest

    Re: IBM Thinkpad T22 power on pw

    IS there any way to reset the power on password on a TP, i-series type 1171?
    I lost my password and can't start now.
    steven m.

    Steven Moore, Sep 8, 2004
  5. Thip

    Thip Guest

    "Steven Moore" <> wrote in message
    > IS there any way to reset the power on password on a TP, i-series type

    1171?
    > I lost my password and can't start now.
    > steven m.

    I pulled the CMOS battery on mine. That worked, but now i'm having the
    other problems that may or may not be related. All I know is that it worked
    flawlessly before that, but then again, it's been sitting long enough for
    all of us to have forgotten the pw.

    Thip, Sep 9, 2004