IBM R40 Thinkpad Laptop Keyboard problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by fjwilson, Jul 22, 2004.

  1. fjwilson

    fjwilson Guest

    The "period" key was sticking on my laptop last night then a little
    later, it worked fine, but then my right shift key was giving me
    trouble.
    I suspect that somehow a piece of food worked its way into the
    keyboard(though it is hard to imagine, no more clearance than there
    is). Probably from one of the kids. Whatever is down there seems to be
    moving around.

    I attempted to disassemble, and got as far as the actual touchpad.
    There is a IC cable leading from the touchpad down to the motherboard
    that is keeping me from opening the lid up all the way. I would rather
    get the advice of someone who is familiar with these before I
    "experiment and attempt it on my own.

    Can anyone tell me how to take the IC cable from the touchpad?

    Thanks in advance.

    fjwilson

    fjwilson, Jul 22, 2004

  2. fjwilson

    Michael-NC Guest

    "fjwilson" <> wrote in message
    > The "period" key was sticking on my laptop last night then a little
    > later, it worked fine, but then my right shift key was giving me
    > trouble.
    > I suspect that somehow a piece of food worked its way into the
    > keyboard(though it is hard to imagine, no more clearance than there
    > is). Probably from one of the kids. Whatever is down there seems to be
    > moving around.
    >
    > I attempted to disassemble, and got as far as the actual touchpad.
    > There is a IC cable leading from the touchpad down to the motherboard
    > that is keeping me from opening the lid up all the way. I would rather
    > get the advice of someone who is familiar with these before I
    > "experiment and attempt it on my own.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how to take the IC cable from the touchpad?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > fjwilson

    It's usually a push on connector. Check the web, there may be a drawing or
    manual on disassembly for your model.

    Michael-NC, Jul 22, 2004

  3. fjwilson

    Adam Steiner Guest

    "fjwilson" <> wrote in message
    > The "period" key was sticking on my laptop last night then a little
    > later, it worked fine, but then my right shift key was giving me
    > trouble.
    > I suspect that somehow a piece of food worked its way into the
    > keyboard(though it is hard to imagine, no more clearance than there
    > is). Probably from one of the kids. Whatever is down there seems to be
    > moving around.
    >
    > I attempted to disassemble, and got as far as the actual touchpad.
    > There is a IC cable leading from the touchpad down to the motherboard
    > that is keeping me from opening the lid up all the way. I would rather
    > get the advice of someone who is familiar with these before I
    > "experiment and attempt it on my own.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how to take the IC cable from the touchpad?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > fjwilson

    http://forum.thinkpads.com - I've found them to be *very* helpful when it
    comes to my thinkpad